Thread: "New Hire"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This was cool, well done. I dont really have any crits other than Matt's observation about the camera cuts.
    Well done.

2. Collapse Details
    A refreshing change of pace for an otherwise dark fest. This was light hearted and enjoyable. I didn't really like the villain and i thought his character didn't really grow or change. I thought the new boss was cool (some nice acting there AJ), he was definitely the most enjoyable part of the film. Comedy isn't action, it's reaction and the new boss definitely had good reactions.

Fun to watch. Good job.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

4. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    first off AJ...nicely done again!

really only thing that bothered me was that damn shiny thing on his lower lip...i kept wanting to flick it off the compy screen o.O

Simple, Clean and Great IMHO

Rogan
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

5. Collapse Details
    Spoiler:
    I confess that I too found the palm trees shot out of place - not only because it seemed to pop in and pop out so quickly, but, and perhaps I'm dim, but was there more too it than the beach is hot and so was Hell (until, you know, it froze)?

Besides that, I thought it was a nice light-hearted short with a simple concept well executed.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

6. Collapse Details
    Nicely done. Other than the differing eyelines, which bugged me a little, I thought this was very enjoyable. Very good acting on both parts. The writing was good too. It's always hard to sit 2 characters down and just have a conversation, without adding in guns and fx and all, so i applaud you on a well-told and simple story that got many a laugh from me.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot, AJ... this actually made me laugh out loud at work. Great acting by both of you guys...good comedic timing. I enjoyed watching it a second time and caught even more jokes the second time around.

8. Collapse Details
    Loved this AJ! Watched it twice...which is suprising considering it is a dialouge piece in one location. Great Job!

9. Collapse Details
    (Might Contain Spoilers)
    This film almost perfectly encapsulates the popular 'crowd-pleaser' entry of any festival - its popular, accessible and comedic. There is however more to this film than simple comedy - the veneer of dark humour and delicious characterisation imbued by our unemployed demon was a welcome surprise (which stood out among a number of cliches found among most entries ie. anything starting with a girl with duct tape or a guy handcuffed to a radiator or something!)

The flash cut to our villain - and the surprise at his appearance (he's an indomnitable figure isnt he) was perfect. I had a chuckle and from that his personality and characterisation (effectively enhanced by the straight man of comedy interviewing him) worked brilliantly. The film flowed well - in particular the little cut to the 'especially the fat kids' worked - not because of the line itself but because of the authentic charactersiation and delivery of the villain.

The only thing holding this particular film back a little is the strength of the script (now that doesnt mean it isnt already capable) but with a few darker streakers, a zappier pace, and some extra sly jokes, this film would rise from a dark crowd pleaser into a more sublime comedy.

The strength of ths film really lies in the charactersiation, actors and the generally capable script. I personally rated this film the highest not because it creates within itself cinemas greatest innovation but because it succeeds in every level capably and almost becomes something quite special!

Delightful addition to the festival.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

10. Collapse Details
    Another good one AJ...a very enjoyable film.

You and 'Bob' both did a great job, I think the ring light was a cool idea and adds that weird reflection in the pupil...nice. Love the writing. The timing was perfect too.
    "No, I like children...except for the fat ones." Classic!

I'm kind of on the edge about the music throughout the whole piece... on one hand, I liked it and it kind of reinforced the comedy...but on the other hand, it was distracting me at times.
    Nit-pickin', there was one shot where Bob leans in and he's out of focus that grabbed me. I wonder... was the boiling water bottle the iPhone footage?

This is one of my personal favs... cheers to the cast & crew. I'll be watching this one many more times in the future (it's a keeper).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast