Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Just so you know, they're right on the edge of giving me write errors. With the "Crunchy test" I can force it if try hard, but outdoors with my "foliage of death" test, I never have a problem

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by evanflys View Post
    Just so you know, they're right on the edge of giving me write errors. With the "Crunchy test" I can force it if try hard, but outdoors with my "foliage of death" test, I never have a problem
    What's the "Crunchy Test"??
    I just use my version of the foliage test with some brightly colored stuff animals and pan, and/or zoom. Just the slightest zoom, caused the original V2 patch to crash in SH.
    Off to try the new settings.

EDIT; just went out and repeated my test-same exact thing-crashes on zoom. even in 23-point auto, or manual focus-doesn't matter, still crashes in SH mode.
    Last edited by havasuphoto; 07-10-2011 at 10:30 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Here's the crunchy test. I put it up on my monitor, set the camera on a tripod and start filming. I push it to the limit and then review it with Cbrandin's Stream Parser.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by evanflys View Post
    Here's the crunchy test. I put it up on my monitor, set the camera on a tripod and start filming. I push it to the limit and then review it with Cbrandin's Stream Parser.
    Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to stick with my stuffed animals outside.
    I just tried your settings, and they crashed on me in SH. I lowered down the overall to 50, and 30 in FHD/SH, and it worked fine-no crashes.
    Now I'm going to try the 75mb patch, am going to leave fhd/sd the same-50, and change H to 35 and L to 30. I just realized that H, is still 1280/720-60P, it just drops the bit rate. and, I'm discovering that at around 35mb/second, that's it-it's done, and crashes. I cannot reliably get 40mb/sec in SH mode. I can get 30mb/sec in SH mode-but I wanna try and push it to 35mb/sec.
    I really don't need to mess with any of the other settings, as they are working fine for me. So, if 30mb/sec is all I'm going to get at 720P/60, so be it-that's still twice as good as the stock firmware.

EDIT; Final testing-It appears that FHD/SH are linked, so you really don't want to change that from 50xxxxx. I tried setting H to 33xxxxxxx, and that worked for a little longer, but still crashed. SH crashes almost immediately upon zooming-so it's useless. Data spikes of up to 44mb/second will not work in 720/60Pmode. Even when it was set to H at 33xxxxxxx, I still saw data spikes higher than that, which caused the crash.

So, here is what I have set now, and it is very stable in 720/60P mode; FHD/SH-leave it alone, H mode=30xxxxxx, L mode=25xxxxxxx(you can set this lower if you want-doesn't matter).
    I shoot 720P in H mode, and the data rate may spike a little over 30mb/second-but rarely, and not by much, and it will not crash.
    Even with the crunchy test. Whereas, the SH mode, will spike to 44mb/sec and crash almost immediately.
    Everything else is stable.

I never messed with the GOP. It may still be possible for someone to figure out a higher bitrate patch, for 720/60P, but I haven't found one yet, nor have I found a whole lot of people that are even interested.
    Last edited by havasuphoto; 07-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by havasuphoto View Post
    So, here is what I have set now, and it is very stable in 720/60P mode; FHD/SH-leave it alone, H mode=30xxxxxx, L mode=25xxxxxxx(you can set this lower if you want-doesn't matter).
    Thanks havasuphoto, for testing out the use of H mode as a moderate bitrate alternative to SH mode. In my testing, I found the reliability of 720p60 video significantly improved with H mode bitrate set as high as 46000000. However, as you discovered, it's not completely bulletproof, even when set as low as 33000000.

Note that H mode is already set to 29000000 in the current version of the 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch. I tweaked that setting to insure reliable recording of extended takes spanned across multiple 4GB MTS files. Since that is only a bit lower than the 30000000 setting you ended up with, other users may want to try the existing H mode patch setting first to see if it meets their needs.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lpowell View Post
    Thanks havasuphoto, for testing out the use of H mode as a moderate bitrate alternative to SH mode. In my testing, I found the reliability of 720p60 video significantly improved with H mode bitrate set as high as 46000000. However, as you discovered, it's not completely bulletproof, even when set as low as 33000000.

Note that H mode is already set to 29000000 in the current version of the 75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch. I tweaked that setting to insure reliable recording of extended takes spanned across multiple 4GB MTS files. Since that is only a bit lower than the 30000000 setting you ended up with, other users may want to try the existing H mode patch setting first to see if it meets their needs.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. leave the standard H setting alone-it's fine at 29xxxxx, so you don't need to mess with it. there is nothing to be gained by going any higher.
    I had seen peaks as high as 46mb/sec-and it didn't crash. but, I also need to experiment with the shutter speed of 1/60th. all of my crashes were at 2x frame rate, 1/125th, which apparently stressed the codec more, and causes more detail to be rendered by the codec.
    so, if I can use SH at 1/60th, in my "stuffed animal" torture test, that may work.

7. Collapse Details
    For us PAL 50p people, SH mode is much more stable than the discussion above in 60p, so don't be afraid to use the SH mode, it's 99% as reliable as the 40Mbps reliable patch.

8. Collapse Details
    The only difference between SH and H is you have different bit rates right? I always shoot in SH and have H just as a back up.

I never shoot in FHD/1080. I need 60P. I also need 1/125 shutter for the ability to give nice propeller blur on the aircraft I film. I've been really happy with the adjustments I've made to lpowells awesome patch.

Tim

9. Collapse Details
    great patch, lpowell. it works fine for me so far. thanks a lot.
    Joho

10. Collapse Details
    So, I've put the new 75Mbit v2 firmware to my GH13 and everything is great. One interesting observation however is that when I bring the footage into FCPX and I check the inspector, it reveals that the clips I have brought in are 1920x1080 at 29.97fps - not 24fps!!
    I'm pretty sure I had the latest version of Ptool and .ini file from Lpowell.
    Anyone else experience this...or maybe I'm thinking FCPX doesn't know how to read the modified files?

paul

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast