Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fredxingu View Post
    this is the best patch so far. i am a newbie in gh1. tried all the other patches and i had several issues with all of them.
    now, when i use avhcd modes they are very similar to canon dslrs settings which i use almost for 2 years. i am loving the results comparing to my 7D...GH1 looks better :P
    cheers and many thanks for the help
    I entirely second that. The mud has completely gone (I thought mud was part of video shooting!) As I don't need 25p checked this will be my favorite one both for 25fps and 50fps. Copes with all lighting and detailed bitrate situations. Couldn't manage to break it. Bravo Mr lpowell !!

2. Collapse Details
    Just made a very interesting observation-when viewing video's on Vista 64 with dual video cards, lots of ram, and a huge CPU. I'm using this patch, and was shooting in FHD(1080/24P native).
    In Video Lan Player(VLC), when I played some video's in it, it would appear that the codec was breaking up(Mud?). But, when I played the exact same video in windows media player, it was smooth, and without any artifacts.
    I had previously seen artifacts/codec break-up in all of the patches, at one time or another, during most of my video tests. But today, I decided to try and isolate what was causing it. And for me, at least, it appears the VLC is the culprit.

So, when your testing a particular patch, and you see what you think is the codec breaking up/mud/artifacts-try another video player and see if the artifacts are still there.
    My "new" testing with this patch, still shows that it stops recording, when shooting FHD, shutter at 1/50, Shutter priority, auto-iso, when I tried to use the Nostalgia Film mode, and also in Vibrant film mode. And, when it stops recording, there is a zero byte file recorded, so it saves nothing. This was on a fluid head tripod, with a very slow pan of some rocks in my back yard, and some plants-so I would describe the scene as medium detail. I had to turn the camera to off, and it took about 30 seconds for the camera to shut off. I then turned the camera back on, for "take 2", same exact settings, and it worked fine-go figure.
    It did not do this when using the Smooth Film mode.

3. Collapse Details
    VLC has not been good for hacked footage for a while. I prefer to use splash media player with the "i" selection enabled to watch the datarate. Also Media Player Classic is quite good for examining footage at double size.

4. Collapse Details
    lpowell, you have probably explained this somewhere else but can i ask you again, with high contrast well exposed detailed shots there seems to be a flickering of the video, it's not really pulsing but more like very quick aperture changes. This is on static shots. If i pan to a less contrasty shot it disappears. It not bothering greatly as i can avoid it, but would be interesting to know what it is. BTW this is Creative Movie Mode, S mode locking focus and exposure with lock button.

See sample video
    Thanks.

5. Collapse Details
    I use this patch on this, no writing errors, Transcend 16Gb type 6, 720p at 60fps
    Last edited by xenogears; 07-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    www.cajitacreativa.com
    Sony a7s II | Lumix LX100
    2013 MacPro 8-Core | Alienware 17 r2
    Cinema 4D R17 | Adobe CC | ZBrush4r7

6. Collapse Details
    nicely done.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rambooc1 View Post
    ...with high contrast well exposed detailed shots there seems to be a flickering of the video, it's not really pulsing but more like very quick aperture changes. This is on static shots. If i pan to a less contrasty shot it disappears.
    I believe this panning flicker on high-contrast vertical edges is produced by a combination of factors:

1. Ultra-fine details on sharp edges generate raspy edge details ("aliases").
    2. Random alignment with image sensor photocell grid produces minute variations in edge details from frame to frame ("farkle").
    3. Unsynchronized LCD monitor refresh rate clashes with video frame rate, producing irregular display updates ("flicker").

"Farkle" is a term coined in the early days of low-resolution 3D animation. When a high-contrast object moved across a solid background, the colors in its edge pixels would vary slightly with each frame. These pixels would appear to twinkle in a distracting manner. The solution was to lower the contrast of the image details while the object was moving - a subtle type of digital motion blur.

The inherent problem with DSLR video encoders is that they compress each frame individually as if the video was a series of still shots. An AVCHD encoder explicitly searches for pixel-peeping discrepancies between frames and the higher the bitrate, the more precisely it can encode the minute differences. Videos would have smoother-looking motion if the encoder was designed to maintain edge consistency between adjacent frames.

8. Collapse Details
    Does anyone else have a problem with 720/60P with these patches?? I have a Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/sec card-formatted each time before use, and yesterday I tested the high reliability, blackout/powell, and 75mb patches. The camera was set on a fluid head tripod. Camera was set to creative movie mode/manual. Shutter speed was set to 1/125, ISO 100. I had an ND 8 neutral density filter on, and exposed each exactly the same-setting exposure per the historgram.
    On each patch, when I panned the camera slowly through my detailed scene, or zoomed in or out, the recording stopped.
    This is uniform with every single patch I tried. The only firmware where I'm not seeing this crash, is with the un-hacked 1.32 firmware. 14mb/sec sucks at 720/60P.

But, like I said, I tried all 3 patches yesterday. Same scene, same settings, same camera movements, and all 3 failed at exactly the same point. They get to just over 40mb/sec, and it stops recording with an error that the memory card isn't fast enough. Since there really isn't a faster card for the GH1(sorry guys-GH1 does not support UHS-I, so it defaults to something like 10mb/sec with those new SDXC cards-or so I have read), I know this is not a card issue, but more of a memory buffer over run in the camera. I have been testing these 3 patches on and off for about a month.
    All are dead stable at the FHD setting, and they all look great.

I'm dying for a STABLE 720/60P patch, and in all the reading I've done, I have yet to find one.
    My "scene" is a couple of brightly colored stuffed animals in my backyard(no grass-only rocks-live in the Desert). But, it is repeatable. Any movement of the camera, or zoom, and it instantly stops recording. Sometimes I will get a partial file, and sometimes, if it happens early in the session, I get a zero byte file.

Without having reliable, and fairly high resolution 720/60P, this camera is useless to me.
    So, does anybody have any suggestions on some changes I can make, in Ptools, to prevent the 720/60P crashes?? Anything I'm missing??
    Or am I just going to have to sell this camera and move onto something else?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by havasuphoto View Post
    Does anyone else have a problem with 720/60P with these patches??
    Yes, I do, and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I use the 720/60p setting almost exclusively and while I have no problems with the high bit rate in 1080, at 720 I get write errors all the time with the high bit rate hacks. My solution has been to take these awesome setting that the great lpowell has developed and simply brought down the bit rate.

My latest and most awesome settings are this:

Take lpowell's 75mb GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
    set FHD/SH to 46xxxxx
    set H to 30xxxxxxxx
    set L to 24xxxxxxx
    set overall to 48xxxxxxxxx
    leave the GOP at 25

I shoot in NTSC by the way.

This gives me the most stable and reliable setting with awesome crispness. I can't afford to have write errors when I shoot so reliability takes a forefront.

Before the 75mbs latest patch, I used the Blackout/lpowell 24p patch with these tweaked settings
    FHD/SH 46xxxxxx
    H 30xxxxxxx
    L 24xxxxxx
    Overall 48xxxxxxxx

As an aside, I also get some write errors in my unhacked GH2 when I do 720/60fps in ETC

Tim
    Last edited by evanflys; 07-10-2011 at 10:00 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by evanflys View Post
    Yes, I do, and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I use the 720/60p setting almost exclusively and while I have no problems with the high bit rate in 1080, at 720 I get write errors all the time with the high bit rate hacks. My solution has been to take these awesome setting that the great lpowell has developed and simply brought down the bit rate.

My latest and most awesome settings are this:

Take lpowell's 75mb GH1 Peak Reliability Patch
    set FHD/SH to 46xxxxx
    set H to 30xxxxxxxx
    set L to 24xxxxxxx
    set overall to 48xxxxxxxxx
    leave the GOP at 25

I shoot in NTSC by the way.

This gives me the most stable and reliable setting with awesome crispness. I can't afford to have write errors when I shoot so reliability takes a forefront.

Before the 75mbs latest patch, I used the Blackout/lpowell 24p patch with these tweaked settings
    FHD/SH 46xxxxxx
    H 30xxxxxxx
    L 24xxxxxx
    Overall 48xxxxxxxx

As an aside, I also get some write errors in my unhacked GH2 when I do 720/60fps in ETC

Tim
    Thanks, I'll give those a back to back test today.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast