Thread: Imagine

1. Collapse Details
    Imagine
    Imagine if Canon rolled out a new DSLR camera and stopped production and support of all their other cameras. This new camera would have auto modes for everything. Photographers couldn't manually override the auto functions. In order to make the camera more affordable certain features would be removed such as time-lapse, a tripod mounting hole and connectivity with a flash head.

What would be the reactions on the Canon forum?
    I'm switching to Nikon.
    Using a tripod is unnecessary, those who can't shoot without a tripod just don't get it.
    The next generation of this camera will have everything they left out, I'm sticking with Canon.
    Einstein would have used a pin hole camera due to it's simplicity.
    I don't need a flash - I only shoot using available light.
    This new camera is perfect for everyone because it's affordable.
    I'm just starting out, manual controls are very confusing - I like it that everything is adjusted for you with this new camera.
    The haters don't like this camera because they don't want to learn something new.
    Seriously, who uses time-lapse anyway. Good riddance.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by milksac View Post
    Imagine if Canon rolled out a new DSLR camera and stopped production and support of all their other cameras. This new camera would have auto modes for everything. Photographers couldn't manually override the auto functions. In order to make the camera more affordable certain features would be removed such as time-lapse, a tripod mounting hole and connectivity with a flash head.

What would be the reactions on the Canon forum?
    I'm switching to Nikon.
    Using a tripod is unnecessary, those who can't shoot without a tripod just don't get it.
    The next generation of this camera will have everything they left out, I'm sticking with Canon.
    Einstein would have used a pin hole camera due to it's simplicity.
    I don't need a flash - I only shoot using available light.
    This new camera is perfect for everyone because it's affordable.
    I'm just starting out, manual controls are very confusing - I like it that everything is adjusted for you with this new camera.
    The haters don't like this camera because they don't want to learn something new.
    Seriously, who uses time-lapse anyway. Good riddance.
    I'm sorry but that is a completely erroneous analogy. There is a lot of behind the scenes analysis of media in FCP X, but nowhere is it like a fully automated point and shoot camera.

3. Collapse Details
    this might not be completely related to your post but if we are talking about taking the individual choices away from the shooting process and more things becoming automatic and things that will change things forever then some of that is here.

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

now i guess you just pick up and shoot. dont even worry about focusing or tweaking your skills to handle a a high end camera with its highly polished focusing capabilities like a D3s or MkIV. with this just aim and adjust your focus...later.

granite this will be on just a consumer camera when it first comes out. who knows if it will trickle upwards.

technology keeps moving. it eventually changes everything.

david

4. Collapse Details
    Yup and eventually we'll have cameras that will just capture any image you can imagine, so none of us will have to go outside, or even get out of bed in the morning to make someones video for them...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
    There is a lot of behind the scenes analysis of media in FCP X, but nowhere is it like a fully automated point and shoot camera.
    I'm not comparing the automation features between FCPX and a DSLR. I was wondering if the Canon community would be as outraged as the FCP community if Canon made sweeping changes that included removing some of the functionality of the camera. Most of the photographers I know are strongly polarized in their choice of camera, many have been brand loyal for years.

6. Collapse Details
    well, being a photographer i can tell you that it doesnt take much to get the Canon or Nikon community outraged.

just visit the jungle of DPREVIEW occasionally and see for yourself.

david

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by milksac View Post
    Imagine if Canon rolled out a new DSLR camera and stopped production and support of all their other cameras.
    Canon actually did do that once. They canceled production of all of their manual focus cameras and lenses when they introduced the auto-focus Eos line. It worked out quite well for them. A lot of people switched from Nikon to Canon because Canon led in auto-focus & auto-exposure.
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    www.arniepix.com