Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by f64manray View Post
    I guess they're trying to get ready for the fall and see what they need to teach, but that seems way premature to tell a student not to buy something that's almost free. It seems their students would be better off being as flexible as possible in their post education environment. And in 4-5 years that could well include fcpx as well as CS5.5. It's not exactly like it's a huge investment. Why not have the most diversified skill set possible. NYU doesn't have a clue where this willl be in even 9 months. It's still shaking out. I wonder if even they've embraced DSLR for education purposes yet.
    when you say "NYU doesnt have a clue where this will be in even 9 months...".

that pretty much "is" the reason NYU wont bother with trying to teach it dont you think? what, they should educate their student body for the future with a program that is a big "MAYBE"? will that prepare them for the REAL WORLD? its a "risk" for many people and enviroments right now.

PP & Avid are already in place and you can take them to the bank. im trying to grow into FCPX to "some" degree" but when it really comes down to a seriousness about it, it comes up short most of the time even though there are things that i really like about it.

i dont believe you really understand the severity of this current situation. not at all.

david

2. Collapse Details
    The Final Cut fiasco isn't about innovation. That's why the pros aren't mad. They are mad about the removal of the necessary things they use to get their jobs done.

I am not talking simply about editing but understand there is a whole process that leads from editing to finishing the final product that takes many steps and it goes through many people and post houses that have to do things to the edit to finish it. That's what apple is missing about this.

3. Collapse Details
    I remember a time when one learned to be an editor regardless of software.

4. Collapse Details
    Virtually every critical FCP X post in this thread represents that Apple didn't listen to the "pros."

For that criticism to have any credibility, I would appreciate learning exactly who are the "pros?"

In other words, what constitutes an unequivocal professional user of FCP. And where is that definition found, and who wrote it

A couple of friends are primarily tape based, and require grading and audio sweetening. FCP X, in this iteration, won't work for them.

Other friends make thousands more annually than my tape based friends, but don't require either.

Which group of friends are the professionals in this example?

If FCP X is both compatible with your workflow, and simplifies that workflow, then how is it not a good fit for you?

On the other hand, if you require external grading, sweetening, are tape based, etc., then it isn't in its current form.

But people throw the term "professional editor" around here pretty freely, and usually as a criticism of FCP X and Apple.

But the same people don't bother to supply a commonly accepted and universal definition.

Probably because there isn't one.
    Last edited by David Saraceno; 07-04-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    Have you tried a complex edit FCPX with 8 layers of audio and multiple video tracks in multiple formats! I have and it totally sucks for any king of in depth work, great on the surface but is very poor with you try and do the normal things. The magnetic timeline is all surface chrome, looking like a Merc, but its a Lada (thats a very bad eastern european car from the 90"s) underneath. Its miles slower than FCP7 for editing apart from rendering and thats not that fantastic, yup running 8 core 16gigs ram on a new mac!
    Its a total Fuux up from apple, be great for my 13 year old son who wants to play lets make a video.

I am advising anyone working on a Mac to ditch it for any real professional work and set up camp either in Adobe which is going from strength to strength or Avid which is still industry standard. Go to FCPX and loose clients thats my take.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Virtually every critical FCP X post in this thread represents that Apple didn't listen to the "pros."

For that criticism to have any credibility, I would appreciate learning exactly who are the "pros?"

In other words, what constitutes an unequivocal professional user of FCP. And where is that definition found, and who wrote it

A couple of friends are primarily tape based, and require grading and audio sweetening. FCP X, in this iteration, won't work for them.

Other friends make thousands more annually than my tape based friends, but don't require either.

Which group of friends are the professionals in this example?

If FCP X is both compatible with your workflow, and simplifies that workflow, then how is it not a good fit for you?

On the other hand, if you require external grading, sweetening, are tape based, etc., then it isn't in its current form.

But people throw the term "professional editor" around here pretty freely, and usually as a criticism of FCP X and Apple.

But the same people don't bother to supply a commonly accepted and universal definition.

Probably because there isn't one
    Dave,

Do you work for apple ?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Dave,

Do you work for apple ?
    I know it's easy to assume that just because someone makes logical posts, and seems to be able to think and process clearly, that they must work for a company like Apple, but in this case, he doesn't. - Tim
    Tim Gooch
    iTGooch, LLC: IT Consulting [Project/Process Management, C/C++/C#/ActionScript/Flex/Objective-C]
    iTGooch Productions: Location Sound, Voice Talent, Independent Video Production [AF100/HVX-200/GH13/ FCS3]

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Dave,

Do you work for apple ?
    No, I don't work for Apple, and never have worked for the company.

But I lived in Cupertino for eight years, and graduated from Cupertino High School.

There are plenty of posters in this forum who are beginning to like FCP X.

And virtually every negative response to those posters uses the "professional editor" card.

But no one has defined that for me.

I'd like to see a objective definition of a "pro" that every one can agree to. It won't happen, because one doesn't exist.
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

9. Collapse Details
    I been around the block and remember clearly when the argument used to be "Pro editors do not use FCP" I have used FCP from version 1, and have always the software was adequate, and clunky. I have not tried FCPx yet, but eventually will. Heck, my Shake still works great and use it for every job I do. I'm sure FCP7 will live on for a while.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    No, I don't work for Apple, and never have worked for the company.

But I lived in Cupertino for eight years, and graduated from Cupertino High School.

There are plenty of posters in this forum who are beginning to like FCP X.

And virtually every negative response to those posters uses the "professional editor" card.

But no one has defined that for me.

I'd like to see a objective definition of a "pro" that every one can agree to. It won't happen, because one doesn't exist.
    the definition of "pro" as it pertains to its reference as to FCPX for me just means...the features that were left of that were widely used. honestly, if you pick at the word "pro" in the simplest sense then you would have to say that if you dont need the features that now are gone in X then you must not be a pro and anyone knows that would be an inaccurate statement.

so, i see it as a simple way to illustrate in one word "pro" as X missing important stuff that people have and are still relying on much of the time.

david

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast