Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mb72378 View Post
    I sincerely disagree. A simple tonemapped image does not make it HDR. The real point of HDR is to capture details at both extremes of lightness and darkness. That's what the Red cameras and DSLR's (when you bracket) do. Just watch this video. This is the best example of TRUE HDR video that can be done right now.

By the way....the point you made regarding everyone loving the plastic unnatural tonemapped look.....you're VERY mistaken.

http://vimeo.com/14821961

yes i am fully aware what HDR is and how it works. i have shot a ton of it. i never said anything about a single tonemapped image. i wonder if you even read my post...

currently, the only way to acheive HDR images is through multiple exposures captured over time. if you're shooting a landscape, it's fine as nothing moves too much during the time it takes to capture all of your images. but what if you're shooting a car race. with a bracketed DSLR or using the RED, you would end up with unusable images because a moving car will travel a great distance during the time it takes to capture all of your images. with a beamsplitter into 3 different sensors, you are capturing 3 bracketed images at exactly the same time and at the same shutter speed. you can't do any better than that. now assuming this camera has nice looking sensors, a tonemapping option that suits your taste, or will record 3 separate streams for endless post options, i don't see any way you could still think that the RED is a better method of capturing HDR.

as far as my comment about people loving the plastic look, i can't speak for north carolina, but here in LA, a lot of people i know love it and want it in their projects. the only people who seem to hate it are photographers and camera purists. i have no issue with it. i am more jazzed about crazy DR but being able to achieve the crazy plastic look is exciting to me as well.

and that video, i have seen before. the landscape shot looks good both ways. but the shot of the guy flickers and definitely has it's issues.
    Last edited by cheezweezl; 12-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    "There is no forest. There are no trees."

Cinematography Reel on Vimeo

www.fisherfilmworks.com

2. Collapse Details
    agree to disagree....and frankly which state I live is makes no difference. It's all personal preference. Good Day!
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mb72378 View Post
    agree to disagree....and frankly which state I live is makes no difference. It's all personal preference. Good Day!
    I don't really understand all the negativity in this topic. This supposedly upcoming camera is just another tool. The more tools the merrier...right!? And also, exposing to different frames at a different time can't possibly be a better method at doing HDR than this. Period.

Such a system has great potential. Who knows how good the final images will be, but surely this camera will be more than applicable for certain types of shots, to put it mildly.
    Sanjin Švajger

4. Collapse Details
    No negativity here. I felt like he was starting to state that I was wrong simply because my opinion did not align with his. Geographic location doesn't determine opinion so I thought his comment on "how things are in NC" was rude and distasteful.

Different strokes for different folks is all. I posted my opinion. I respect his even if I don't agree with it.
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

5. Collapse Details
    The product camera is a proto, the result of research at Carnegie Mellon as I recall. Anyway, HDR is an evolving paradigm and old schoolers like me will tell you that we are THRILLED it's out of the skunkworks and in beta stage. I do sympathize with other posters that have noted the very low production value of the demos, but as a PTO wonk I can assure you, it's just to drum up venture capitol. Technically, the three sensor HDR concept is a very good one though I'll guess an integrated sensor, sans the beam splitter, will be the next iteration.
    Also as i recall, RED was featuring HDR video through a different implementation in Epic, but i can't possibly remember very post I read.
    Rock on HDRV!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12