New HDR Pro camera: AMP HDR
    http://www.hdrlabs.com/news/index.ph...56707378279667

__________________________________________________ ________
    Vincent Thomas
    Artist for Film / Photograph & Creative Director
    http://www.stranger-than-paradise.book.fr/
    __________________________________________________ ________

2. Collapse Details
    Am I the only one that thinks this looks like garbage? Sure, it may have it's applications in a creative sense, but I just can't see this having a wide range of uses. I like dynamic range as much as the next guy, but this just looks too bizarre for me.
    I am a dreamer.

3. Collapse Details
    I've read that color film was received with the same initial derision. I think it's the crazy tonemapping that you are referring to as garbage - I have the same issue with stills processed that way. But there are plenty of guys out there processing their images in a way that looks completely natural. Since this camera claims it has RAW output, think about the opportunity to grade the images properly and having a huge expose range and color gamut to work with.

Thanks for posting this Vincent, it could lead to something interesting.

4. Collapse Details
    They seemed to go out of their way to shoot boring compositions and boring subjects in order to show off their camera.

And yeah, if this leads to a bunch of people going crazy with tonemapping, I think I'd rather avoid it altogether as that kind of photography looks really stupid.
    I shoot everything on 8mm tape. BALLER STATUS

5. Collapse Details
    That extreme tonemapping looks ridiculous.
    I really hope the kids don't start using that garbage in the latest blockbusters.
    There were a few good shots there with natural-looking mapping, I like that.

6. Collapse Details
    I think it's a great camera, but I'd rather see some decent example images, not horribly ugly ones... I am curious as to the features of this camera. Does anyone know the sensors being used?
    HPX170 | Canon 7D | Glidecam 2000 Pro | Final Cut Studio 2
    28-135 | 70-200 | 50 1.4

7. Collapse Details
    SOLD. I would love a video camera that could do HDR.
    I shoot a lot of large exposure range places and it would resolve those problems.

8. Collapse Details
    I think the video that is coming out of this camera looks like a beginner photographer's first HDR attempt. Too psychedelic. The best HDR type camera out right now is the RED EPIC. 14 or so stops of dynamic range.
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mb72378 View Post
    I think the video that is coming out of this camera looks like a beginner photographer's first HDR attempt. Too psychedelic. The best HDR type camera out right now is the RED EPIC. 14 or so stops of dynamic range.
    if you watch the second vid, you'll see that you have choices when it comes to tonemapping. However, if you hate the plastic look of unnaturally tonemapped HDR, then you're not gonna be happy with what is to come. I think more people love this look than hate it. And I think we will see it make it's way into mainstream media.

As far as the EPIC being superior at HDR, I dont think so. The epic only has one sensor and uses 2 different images captured separately to create it's HDR, much like a DSLR does with stills. So while it may look ok some times, other times, when things are moving across the frame, you will see anomalies. Beam splitter into multiple sensors seems like the smartest and most high quality way to go. Now whether the sensors in this particular camera are worth a crap or not remains to be seen...
    "There is no forest. There are no trees."

Cinematography Reel on Vimeo

www.fisherfilmworks.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezweezl View Post
    if you watch the second vid, you'll see that you have choices when it comes to tonemapping. However, if you hate the plastic look of unnaturally tonemapped HDR, then you're not gonna be happy with what is to come. I think more people love this look than hate it. And I think we will see it make it's way into mainstream media.

As far as the EPIC being superior at HDR, I dont think so. The epic only has one sensor and uses 2 different images captured separately to create it's HDR, much like a DSLR does with stills. So while it may look ok some times, other times, when things are moving across the frame, you will see anomalies. Beam splitter into multiple sensors seems like the smartest and most high quality way to go. Now whether the sensors in this particular camera are worth a crap or not remains to be seen...
    I sincerely disagree. A simple tonemapped image does not make it HDR. The real point of HDR is to capture details at both extremes of lightness and darkness. That's what the Red cameras and DSLR's (when you bracket) do. Just watch this video. This is the best example of TRUE HDR video that can be done right now.

By the way....the point you made regarding everyone loving the plastic unnatural tonemapped look.....you're VERY mistaken.

http://vimeo.com/14821961

Last edited by mb72378; 12-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast