Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FCP X is growing on me a little...
    I've had plenty of posts bashing it, but I've committed to editing at least 3 projects on this because (1) I paid for it and (2) it only seems fair to make sure I am not missing something.

NOTE: This does not excuse the list of pro features, 3rd party hardware support, etc. I make a living off video and video only, but not at a broadcast level, at a freelance level.

Anyway, here's some of my GOOD findings:

- Using the position tool "p" effectively disables ripple. I can edit to the beat and still take advantage of the magnetic timeline.

- The magnetic timeline is spectacular and has saved me so much headache it's unbelievable. You are truly free to be creative because I never worry about overwriting/deleting a clip, it's very fast to drag stuff around and swap things in and out, worry free. Very efficient.

- The program was sluggish and unstable for me at times, but I realized that was because I told it to analyze/fix everything on import and I moved in about 100gb of files and then went to work torture testing the program. Once the background tasks of anaylzing 100gb of HD footage finished the thing suddenly fest very responsive and has been stable for me (mostly).

- Background rendering and natively working with GoPro, MP4 footage, HD footage, etc. really is pretty amazing.

- Once you get used to the new paradigms and learn some of the tricks, some of the stuff is just light years beyond. For example, retiming. You click retime and set slow/fast to 50% speed or something, and then you drag the handle to dial in the exact amount to 43% or 72% something exact. You can use the "r" range tool to select parts of a clip to do this with, instead of cutting a clip up. And then I can make changes to filters for the whole clip right then and there on the fly.

- Optical flow is built into FCP X, great retiming effects.

- Conform footage (for 720p 60fps GoPro footage and other sources) is built right into FCP

- The new organizing and keywords changes the way I work. I used to make a sequence, drop all of my footage into it, and then use CTRL+V to cut the clips out I like and raise them to track 2. It was a great way to see what I had used and what I hadn't and skim through quickly. Well now, the event library is like that sequence and I can skim through and pull clips out quickly use "i" and "o" to mark or drag selecting... OR even better, mark them and keyword them (really slick). I can also mark as rejected clips I've already used (a feature request would be an auto bin that shows "unused" footage and "used" footage.

- I was annoyed about rendering/exporting a work area being absent but I think it'll be less important since I'll use project management different now.... though it still absolutely needs to be added (this is a glaring omission IMO) but I can live with it much better than I thought for now.

- the effects, filters, and titling are much better and while some of them are iMovie-ish the Motion 5 integration is so much better it is easy to create your own. And Motion 5 is now a publishing tool so you can publish effects and stuff right to the FCP library.

- The auto-save hasn't failed me yet (though I read of one user's problem). It is pretty slick to be able to just edit and quit and when it's crashed on me, I've never been behind - not even by a matter of seconds. Pretty amazing how it saves your state, it's like having autosave set to 1 second increments. Although, there are obvious drawbacks to this especially for some workflows.

- The second monitor as viewer or events is plenty good enough, even though it SHOULD be more customizable. The way the windows are laid out is actually very efficient, though - especially if your main display is of decent size (22" or preferably 24", at least 1680x1050). Although, I wish there was a way to horizontally resize the inspector so it could be bigger.

- You can "backup" changes to a project/sequence (think of a project as a sequence instead of as a project) by duplicating the project without any referenced files. This is kind of a dumb way of having to do this, they should add a "versions" feature because I used to duplicate a sequence before making drastic changes, but this works.

Anyway, I still have a list of negatives and I've had this strange cycle of HATING FCP X, and then learning a new/different way of doing something and it really growing on me... So maybe I'll knock out some more of those negatives.

Again, to re-iterate, I'm still pissed Apple dropped the ball especially on the higher-level pro-end and even in a number of areas for prosumers like myself. But I am finding quite a lot of good here, and could see myself using this for certain projects and really appreciating many of the features and workflow that are honestly a dream to work with...

Will see how it plays out over the next month and a few projects...
    Last edited by filmguy123; 06-23-2011 at 11:47 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    On Tuesday after installing I truly thought it was crap, but I am giving it a go. Cut a little vid for a friend last night and may use for a promotional piece next week. I just stopped reading all the negative feedback and started looking for any tutorials I could find on how to do the things I am used to in FCP7 and accomplish them as best as possible in FCPX.

The genie is out of the bottle. Apple won't kill FCPX, this is the platform going forward so I guess I will try my best at learning the new-ness. Some features are huge time savers. Being able to quickly output an iphone or ipad proof is heavenly compared to my workflow in FCP7.

Updates are desperately needed and will come but who knows when to improve bugs and add very needed "old" features. I paid for it, I'll try my best to use it over time.

The key is to but blinders on, avoid reading anything further unless it is tutorial-esque and helps show how to use the new workflow.
    Last edited by photonashville; 06-23-2011 at 11:57 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    - The program was sluggish and unstable for me at times, but I realized that was because I told it to analyze/fix everything on import and I moved in about 100gb of files and then went to work torture testing the program. Once the background tasks of anaylzing 100gb of HD footage finished the thing suddenly fest very responsive and has been stable for me (mostly).
    You do realize that this process is converting all the footage to ProRes, right?

Though I am interested to hear from people who actually like FCP X. I would like to know what kinds of projects you are editing with it.

4. Collapse Details
    While not directed to me, my main work is 2-10 minute corporate video type of work. Promotional pieces, social media marketing-esque for businesses. Admission videos for schools. Since most of that is fairly straightforward type of editing then it may be usable. I have done some pieces with substantial manual keyframing for motion placement of multiple clips all at once and that is one thing I haven't looked into seeing how FCPX handles that.

Reality is that it will be a rocky road. Ripple training has a 5 hour tutorial I am about to pull the trigger on to help find where all the features exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    You do realize that this process is converting all the footage to ProRes, right?

Though I am interested to hear from people who actually like FCP X. I would like to know what kinds of projects you are editing with it.

5. Collapse Details
    Anyone tried to import mxf p2 files directly from the card yet?
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    For me doing strickly music videos I have been messing around with it and I can definitely see myself using it as my main editor over premiere after I master it. If you put a music clip in the main storyline part you dont get any of that magetic timeline mess going on and clips stay in place like a regular editor. It kind of makes me uneasy that everyone else is screaming "KILL APPLE" while its suiting me properly. Oh well guess you have to do what works for you in the end. I am kind of upset that I went out and bought fcp7 some months back to get used to the interface for it to be changed completely on the next update. smh They could have gave me the heads up that I should have just learned iMovie instead.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Anyone tried to import mxf p2 files directly from the card yet?
    Yep I down loaded clips directly from a disk image of a P2 card, works great.

8. Collapse Details
    great to see a positive thread
    fpcx is going to be a tool in the toolbox, same with premiere and storm and lot of others
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dtjohns1 View Post
    If you put a music clip in the main storyline part you dont get any of that magetic timeline mess going on and clips stay in place like a regular editor.
    Oh, good tip!! I had found something similar earlier; I had inserted a gap and extended it for like 10 minutes, and then dropped music below that, and used the normal "A" selection tool to build ripple-free on top of that. I like that music clip idea, much more natural. And of course, the position "p" tool has been great. I am finding myself adjusting quickly. And switching to the normal tool and pulling clips in/out to cause the entire soundtrack portion to ripple is just beautiful, much smoother and no accidental overwrites.

And good to know about the P2 that is wonderful, and about time. I work with HVX200, GoPro, DSLR, and HDV footage so these are all great timesavers.

I wil post up a cheesy fun video edited on FCP X later on

10. Collapse Details
    Here's a link to David Pogue's new post. I think it's a fair take on what FCPX has to offer.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...ology&emc=cta1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast