Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Switch from FCP(x) to Avid or Adobe?
    With all the problems of FCPX (and phasing out of support for previous versions of fcp), for me, as I'm sure with others, the question now is: what are the pros and cons of going either Adobe CS5.5 vs Avid?

I know the standard line is (1) Avid best for industrial workflows w/ heavy demands on media management and (2) CS5.5 speedy, native editing of many codecs, well integrated w/ after effects, photoshop, etc.

But beyond that, I don't know much else.

I thought there might be some threads on pros and cons of each, but I can't seem to find any. Anyone knowledgeable about both current versions that can shed some insight on this?
    Last edited by qwerty123; 06-22-2011 at 11:39 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Coming from a FCP work flow, I would recommend Premier CS5.5. I also love the dynamic link functionality.

3. Collapse Details
    I came from Premier, went to FCP, Then Avid, Back to FCP. and it looks like now back to Premier. almost full circle. +1 for the premier recommendation. if you know your way arounf FCP, you'll be good for PP. and vice versa. good thing i'm eligible for the upgrade pricing......
    On a side note, been playing with lightworks, I see some real potential there once it is truly open source.

4. Collapse Details
    Great question, OP.

I love the no-nonsense layout of the Avid platform. I've worked with Adrenaline HD, but never on a more modest system. Learning Avid got me away from "drag & drop" editing and I learned how to use the keyboard shortcuts. I saw ads for the $995 Media Composer a few days ago. That caught my eye. This could be their time to (re)shine.

Gun to my head, I would probably choose Adobe, since I'm constantly in and out of After Effect & Photoshop when I am working on projects. The initial FCPX reports may be the catalyst that pushes me over the edge. Native h264 editing with the right system sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I would be $%^&ed to switch back to a PC, I'd just prefer to keep working on my Mac. $$

Interesting times we're in right now. I've never seen such negative outcry over the release of a product, but that's the internet for ya.

BTW, my timeline is Media 100, FCP, AVID, FCP and now ?????
    Sony FS100, Canon 7D and two pugs
    scottfrosch.com

my vimeo

5. Collapse Details
    Anyone switching from FCP
    With all the discussion about FCPX, just curious how many people have decided to move to another NLE. I know a few people have mentioned it, but is it just initial frustration from this release?

6. Collapse Details
    My advice to anyone listening would be -- give it a week. See if Apple says anything about future directions (not that I expect them to; their response to the proven iPhone 4 antenna issues was defiant and combative) but hey, give them a chance to craft a response.

In the meantime, if I was the marketing director at Adobe or Avid, I can guarantee you I'd be devising some sort of irresistible crossgrade promotion, to take advantage of the immediate knee-jerk reaction. So for those considering switching, give those companies a chance to see if they come up with some irresistible offers.

Furthermore, Apple has a history of giving people what they say they don't want, only to have people change their minds and embrace it. Remember the reactions to the announcement of the iPad? NOBODY wanted an iPad, they mocked and ridiculed it and asked "who is this for, really?" fast forward to when it'd been out six months, and it's the by-far most-successful Mac product ever. Or when they took away the floppy drive -- people screamed. And the ExpressCard slot -- that caused furor. But people seem to adapt.

So I know it looks like a disaster right now, but -- nobody's holding a gun to your head to make a purchase decision right at this moment, right? So give it a little time and see what shakes out.

7. Collapse Details
    i downloaded Avid Media Composer last night. 30 day trial. going thru first tutorial on Lynda.com. im preparing for the future which i dont expect to be FCP X unless Apple snaps to and start posting updates galore. ive got CS5 Premiere already on my system, looked at it over a year ago but its a dog without a killing nVidia GPU. if i dont like Avid then i might have to take a hard look at Premiere again and will need to get a nVidia card. in the meantime FCP7 still works like a champ.

yesterday has changed everything going forward. time to plan for the future.

david

8. Collapse Details
    I was at DV Expo in NYC today. I am a long time FCP user and want to be able to stay a FCP user.

Still, I stopped by the Avid booth (FCP was not present at the expo) and the Avid fellow was very nice and practically drooling over Apple's misstep. He said they have been inundated with calls in the last 24 hours and they have already begun offering aggressive pricing to help people switch.

I will give FCP a few weeks to respond, but I'm not holding my breath.

9. Collapse Details
    Did the upgrade to Avid today and am upgrading to CS5.5 tonight.

I'd bet the Adobe and Avid servers are pinging pretty hard right now.
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Canon C100 and Ninja Blade recorder
    Nikon D800

10. Collapse Details
    Upgraded to Avid 5.5 today (still had my old dongle). Will also upgrade to CS 5.5 tonight.
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Canon C100 and Ninja Blade recorder
    Nikon D800

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast