Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Threaded Carbon Fiber Rods?
    Do any companies make THREADED carbon fiber support rods?

I like the weight and look of CF rods - but like the flexibility of having female threads front and back (like on the Zacuto rods, for example).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

2. Collapse Details
    I have both solid and hollow CF rods, but neither are threaded.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

3. Collapse Details
    I think I'd sooner have multiple pairs (at different lengths).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dregenthal View Post
    I think I'd sooner have multiple pairs (at different lengths).
    My thinking is I would have a standard "core" set of rods that would accommodate the camera, my zooms and primes, a FF and Matte Box - but if I (on occasion) wanted to put an extra-longer lens on, I could just screw in two extensions. Ditto for the rear of the rods if I wanted on occasion to rent and mount an external digital recorder (like a Samurai, PIX 240 etc). Again, I would just screw in the extensions on the back.

You see, I could keep the same "core" set of rods on the baseplate (with my standard kit mounted) 90% of the time - and not have to take everything apart when these situations arose (not to mention having to own and store 3 very long sets of rods vs. a few shorter extensions). Just store the shorter extensions, and screw them in as needed front or back.

Is there something wrong with my plans/logic?
    I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

5. Collapse Details
    I have multiple pairs of both 15mm and 19mm rods to use depending on the setup.
    I really don't see any time savings using screw-on rod extenders as you are still going to have to loosen everything up and slide to re-balance anyway.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    My thinking is I would have a standard "core" set of rods that would accommodate the camera, my zooms and primes, a FF and Matte Box - but if I (on occasion) wanted to put an extra-longer lens on, I could just screw in two extensions. Ditto for the rear of the rods if I wanted on occasion to rent and mount an external digital recorder (like a Samurai, PIX 240 etc). Again, I would just screw in the extensions on the back.

You see, I could keep the same "core" set of rods on the baseplate (with my standard kit mounted) 90% of the time - and not have to take everything apart when these situations arose (not to mention having to own and store 3 very long sets of rods vs. a few shorter extensions). Just store the shorter extensions, and screw them in as needed front or back.

Is there something wrong with my plans/logic?
    That is exactly how I have my setup. I never have to losen/adjust and move the "core" set. I easily extend the rear with the screw on extensions (Letus threaded rods).
    critically unacclaimed

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Do any companies make THREADED carbon fiber support rods?

I like the weight and look of CF rods - but like the flexibility of having female threads front and back (like on the Zacuto rods, for example).
    I do everything I can to make my camera heavier ( Mass , momentum and inertia etc..).. and make my motorbikes lighter. (power: weight ratio = speed).

I have never seen CF rods threaded but have seen CF components with threaded inserts ( metal bits inserted to take a thread or bolt).
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by reygun View Post
    That is exactly how I have my setup. I never have to losen/adjust and move the "core" set. I easily extend the rear with the screw on extensions (Letus threaded rods).
    Add 16 pounds to the front of the camera then something needs to slide back, or counterbalance added to rear. Matte box and follow focus will need to be moved to match long zoom from short prime. Nothing wrong with screw-on extensions as I have a few, but I generally prefer to just slide in the size rods I need.
    Last edited by David W. Jones; 06-17-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

9. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    I doubt we ever see threaded CF rods, the material is way to brittle. Since I saw a carbon rod cracking (on a car shot), killing two expensive 4x4 filters and the mattebox, I prefer my aluminum rods. Lesson: Never underestimate momentum in motion.

The wight difference is a joke anyway, my FF alone wights more than 10 times my aluminum rods.

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

10. Collapse Details
    OK, thanks.

Maybe I'll not worry so much about the weight difference - and go for black anodized aluminium threaded rods for the look.
    I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast