Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Simplest, best, cheapest inline Phantom power supply
    I've had a wicked horrible time trying to find this.

Anyways, I already have a great digital recorder, and I don't want to buy another one (H4N).

I also don't want to spend 400 dollars on the Sony XLR-1, or something like that, because that seems ridiculous expensive.

So what I want, is something that just goes inline to an XLR connector that provides phantom power to a condensor mic. Kind of like the K6 for the ME66, but one that provides actual phantom power via XLR.

Possible? Links, suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Cheapest? Build it. You need a box two XLR connectors some battery clips (depends on how much power you actually need) a diode and a pair of resistors. The resistors are 2.2K ( I would use the highest precision ones you can get but 1% should be OK). Here is a link.

Personally I would probably add a pair of low value capacitors to block the DC from getting back to the recorder.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise
    Bugín out of Babylon

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

3. Collapse Details
    Noiz2

You could also look at the Denecke PS-1 or PS-2. They run about 135 and 150, respectively. The PS2 runs two mics, and the PS1 just one. Both are powered by a single 9V.

http://www.denecke.com/Products/Audio%20Accessories/audioaccessories.htm
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 06-15-2011 at 10:22 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    I built a battery box for plug-in power, and it was a nightmare. I don't want to do it again. So building is out. Thanks though.

5. Collapse Details
    See, anything over 100 bucks and I might as well get an H4N. I could probably get one used for 150 bucks, so I'm looking at around 50 bucks for this, max.

Thing is, i don't understand why they are so expensive. The circuitry is so simple yet these things are so overpriced.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    I built a battery box for plug-in power, and it was a nightmare. I don't want to do it again. So building is out. Thanks though.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Unfortunately, that is why. 135 is no where near the 400 you didn't want to spend. It would help in the future, if you would be more specific. I kinda feel I just wasted my time with this.

7. Collapse Details
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Unfortunately, that is why
    I don't know what that means.

You provided links to a product that is priced almost the same as a used H4N. I appreciate the help, but if your suggestion doesn't fit the bill - that's how it goes. You shouldn't feel bad about it. It adds to the statistics of finding a solution.

8. Collapse Details
    I mean, look at this:

http://www.probroadcastsupply.com/pr...2dMICMATE.html

Cheap, but it does what I want except it sources power from USB. Something like that that uses batteries.

9. Collapse Details
    You don't want to build it yourself, but you need the part. Well, manufacturers depend on people that don't want DIY. And they can charge what the market will support. Supply and Demand.

You stated you didn't want to buy another recorder. You stated you didn't want to pay over 400 for one. Now you say you don't want to pay over 100, and you will get another recorder. See my frustration?

I gave you the info you wanted within your original parameters. Whatever. Good luck.

10. Collapse Details
    http://www.amazon.com/ART-Phantom-St...d_sim_sbs_MI_4

This seems pretty good, although no reviews. Anyone have experience with something similar?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast