Thread: Show your rigs

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nice.

I don't rig anything much these days. I have the gear, I can just never figure out how I'm going to transport the camera once it's built up and I don't usually have the time to be putting things together at the start of a shoot.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone was still reading this thread. I was actually pretty impressed by morgan_moore's Office-Depot-plastic-box solution. I may go with a similar approach to minimize my set-up time as well. Or, perhaps, one huge SKB case with most of the components already pre-built (I prefer SKB cases over Pelicans, since they're a bit lighter). Reducing set-up time is the main reason I've decided on building two separate rigs for tripod and handheld use.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

3. Collapse Details
    Here's my preliminary ENG set-up. This is just a test rig (the CG is still a bit too far forward). I've mounted the camera on my V-lock bridge-plate (which has a riser that makes the camera too high). As I said, I plan to somehow mount a second quick-release plate onto my upside-down, smaller bridge-plate. Unfortunately, it's looking like there'll be some drilling involved, plus some non-standard fastening method required.

Now, I'll re-assemble my studio-configuration set-up using the same 13.8" carbon-fiber rails shown in my first photo on the previous page (removing the Kinotehnik EVF and shoulder-mount, and re-mounting the 7" HDMI monitor). As it is, there's not quite enough room on this handheld rail set-up to mount a follow-focus, so I'll probably have to move up to a 17.7" carbon-fiber rail (the test rig is currently on the 14.4" aluminum rails which came with my initial kit). I'm trying like hell to keep things at a reasonable size, since I built up another rig (for a different camera) for a TV show using a Tilta V-lock shoulder-mount, and the rig just got so heavy and unwieldy, I eventually returned the entire thing and went with a folding Sony bracket.

So, carbon-fiber rails all the way (lighter, and about 20% stiffer than aluminum). Minimal "rigging" gear. I have an awesome French flag set-up I'll show in another post. Very lightweight, yet still super-functional. My on-camera light is still one more mounting challenge (still working on that one). B+H is still out of stock on my Lanparte plate, so my ENG rig probably won't be completed until a couple more weeks.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

4. Collapse Details
    Looking really good.

The forum is mostly quiet these days. We may be the only two FS100 users left. :-)

5. Collapse Details
    The FS100 and the F3 share the same sensor so it's not a bad compromise.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, I'm another one who sold my FS100 to buy a FS700. It wasn't really
    for the slow motion either.....although that was a nice bonus. I just do
    fast paced stuff and really liked the idea of built in ND filters. But I will
    always have a soft spot for the FS100, it was my first ever HD camera. I
    wrote the review on it for kenstone.net way back when it first came out too!
    Nowadays the FS700 forums are mostly dead too. Everyone has moved on to the
    new 'hot' cameras, the FS7 and FS5. I'm just waiting for all the 8k cameras to
    come out and I'll totally skip 4k and give all the FS5/7 and F5/55 owners grief
    about how much better 8k is than 4k and how great my FA7SII is compared to
    their 'outdated' junk. ��

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys! Did everyone else in the forum just ditch their FS100s and upgrade? I "quit" filmmaking in 2006, only to return to it just recently to exploit a rental situation. It was just dumb luck that I found the FS100 still in-stock at Adorama last February; though, I wished like hell I'd caught the F3 end-of-line blow-out last year for only $4,000.

Due to its large, 9.5Ám pixel-pitch, low-density 3.43MP, designed-for-video sensor, and the resulting incredible low-light ability, the only camera I would consider "upgrading" to is an F3 (that, or an F35!). Adam Wilt's side-by-side resolution tests of the FS100/F3 were very convincing. Though the F3 has the weaker CODEC, the F3 visibly edged-out the FS100 in detail (even though they share the same sensor), so for me, the F3 would be my preferred camera for any HDTV acquisition. I work in broadcast television, and believe me, 4K is still a loooong way off.

The image above was shot at base-ISO in my kitchen with my FS100, using a Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 Ais lens. Exposure was 1/60th @ f/1.8. The sole source for the image was a small amount of bounce from an LED desklamp pointed down at the dark-gray countertop. There must've been perhaps 0.5 foot-candles falling onto the side of the glass (I plan to re-create the scene and actually measure it). To me, this is amazing.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    That may be true. I recently upgraded to the 700. (how contemporary of me for 2016!)

I still lurk. Your pics make the camera look like a work of art. The green hardware is sick!
    Hi,
    I'm also reading these posts.
    I still have mine and still use it.

9. Collapse Details
    Hey, there, Erwin! Glad to hear you're still using your FS100!

10. Collapse Details
    You guys aren't alone in the FS100 world.
    Last year I picked up a new FS100 body from Adorama, as the $1,500 price tag was too good to pass up. I was shooting with a Sony EA50M and Sony NX5U.
    I wanted to go all large sensor so I sold MY NX5U (Great camera BTW) and picked up the FS100 from Adorama.

I also picked up a Cinevate Simplis Dual system and combined it with spring support pod parts from my old DVTEC MultiRig. So now I have a small run and gun rig with pod suspension that gives me an entire days shooting perfectly balanced with no faitgue. To setup I simply pull out and unfold the rig and attach the camera and bingo I'm ready to shoot. Also the rig can easily be mounted on a tripod if needed. Oh and I love the image that I'm getting from the FS100 as well. As the baseline ISO is much more sensitive for low light shooting than my EA50M.
    Last edited by vegas06; 07-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast