1. Collapse Details
    Which adapter do I buy to put FD canon lens on my t3i?
    Hey, I see many adapters out there online that allows me to add a fd lens to my t3i ef mount camera... Some have a glass piece in it, which after reading some reviews, magnifies by 1.3X... and I also see the one without the lens piece in it which I imagine keeps the lens the same..

Seeing that I already have a camera that crops 1.6X, Id rather not crop anymore..

Which adapter is recommended? I see on ebay some for $30 and I would like to stay under $60. If anyone has experience with these things, the help would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks

-Cory

2. Collapse Details
    search the threads. I remember reading the FD mounts won't work with an adapter because they can't focus at infinity with the adapter on. Could be wrong.
    Brad Ferrell - Producer/Director

www.ferrellfilmsllc.com - Development, Production, and Post

H-Town Brawlers in Development.
    Machine Gun Man in Development.
    Skipper in Post.
    Man in the Closet in Post.
    No Chance in Hell in Pre-Production.

3. Collapse Details
    Well adapting FD is hard on an EOS camera. In short most people say don't for a reason. FD lenses have a completely different flange depth and don't fit an EOS body completely. This gives you two options.

The first is an adapter without a glass piece. But by doing this you loose inifinity focus.
    This means the lens won't work correctly and you can't focus for a full range.
    Then the solution is to get an adapter with a glass piece. This has the problem of magnifying the lens as said, but also loosing picture quality.

So whatever you do, it's a compromise that's pretty bad. I'm going to say what most people will and this is to not do it.
    There are plenty great old manual lenses out there that work great. For little money you can get M42 lenses, like Takumars or russian ones like Jupiter or Helios.
    Or if you spend a bit more money you could pick up some vintage Nikon AI glass or Zeiss Contax for around $200-300.

4. Collapse Details
    hmm..already bought the lens off ebay haha... So I would be using this lens mostly up close so I dont need to focus to infinite... hmm. Is there any other opinions and thoughts on this subject?

5. Collapse Details
    Third option would be to convert the lens to eos. this is, however, pretty complex subject compared to using an adapter:
    http://www.ganymeta.org/~darren/phot...conversion.php
    http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/canon..._ef_conversion
    Canon 60D - Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC II - Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 - Helios 58mm 2 - Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 - Carl Zeiss 85mm 1.4 (C/Y Mount) - Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Gini Hummer Rig - Rode Video Mic - Zoom H4N - Sennheiser ep3 Wireless - Sanken COS11 Lav - Libec LS38 Tripod

6. Collapse Details
    aha oh hellllll no. but thank you anyways Mrchirster.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by corycross View Post
    aha oh hellllll no. but thank you anyways Mrchirster.
    Yes, generally FD lenses are considered a no-no if using EOS.

I know they are tempting, being so much cheaper than Nikon and others, but my theory is that the price is lower for good reason!
    While Nikon F-mount lenses are compatible with a vast majority of modern mounts, FD class is only compatible with a very limited few (our modern Canon EOS not being one of them).

Yes, you COULD make it work, but you either have to mess with optics, limited focus, or added glass which will affect your aperture. Either way, that's why there aren't many adapters available- its a very specialized solution that isn't very popular to begin with.

I know it doesn't sound ideal, but perhaps it would be less hassle to put the lens back up on ebay? There are other cameras that could use it with less trouble. Go read up in the lens section here and get yourself a Nikon or Pentax lens.
    Last edited by M. Gilden; 06-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    FOR SALE: Panasonic G6 Kit with spare battery. Click here for details.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Black Panasonic GH2 | Silver Panasonic GH2 | Bunch of Canon DSLRs w/Magic Lantern and audio monitoring | DVX100
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

8. Collapse Details
    I have a couple of FD to EOS adapters I am not using anymore and that are currently up for sale.
    One is with focus confirmation (35 Eur shipped), the other is without chip and is made in Japan by Zykkor (30 Eur shipped).
    Both have an optical element to preserve infinity focus, so there is a slight additional crop factor.
    All in all, if you know what to expect from FD lenses on an EOS body, these are nice adapters.
    Pm me if you are interested.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    There are several videos on vimeo of people using Fd lenses on these Canon Eos bodies with much success and amazing quality, so do some more research as this world is bigger than you think with many people using tools we thought were not possible.