Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Thisiswells
    Shooting on an A minima and film with a cheap lens is diffent than shooting HD with an SD lens. I have no doubt that the footage will look good, but if you shoot HD with an SD lens, why shoot HD at all? Why not stick with SD footage as the resolving powever will not be much different. It might be slightly better, but it defeats the purpose of shooting HD.

2. Collapse Details
    Scharky-

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Fujinon engineer stated that the glass and components in the new Fujinon T16x5.5 HD lens for the HD100 is comparable to my Fujinon S20x6.4 SD lens. The 16x is a $1,400 HD lens, and the 20x is a $3,200 SD lens. Somehow everyone automatically assumes that because there is an "HD" designation on a lens that it automatically resolves better than all SD lenses. Not necessarily so. The Fujinon engineer felt the resolution of the two lenses in use on the HD100 would be roughly equal. In this case I would use the 20x sometimes, with a 2x extender for wildlife shooting. The 16x just isn't long enough. I shoot regularly with the F900 and Varicam, so I'm well aware of what HD resolution looks like. The images from the $1,400 16x patched via analog component out, on their good monitor, looked stunning.

Bottom line: a good SD lense will quite often resolve as well as a low level HD lense - according to Fujinon. An SD lens on a F900 or Varicam? No. On an HD100? Sometimes...

Gibby
    www.cut4.tv

3. Collapse Details
    The Varicam is 3ccd 960x720 and the jvc is 3ccd 1280x720...the jvc has MORE resolution then Varicam...

I would use an HD lens on the JVC before the VariCam

4. Collapse Details
    Oh my word, you did *not* just say that...

5. Collapse Details
    what a crap shoot.

6. Collapse Details
    hell, why not just take the lens off, and glue a magnifying glass focused on the CCD, you could get a great image with that, but I'm sure I'd strap that onto the JVC before the VariCam as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Keep in mind that professional SD lenses are capable of resolving much higher resolutions than any SD camera head.

8. Collapse Details
    Exactly. Lenses can't possibly dissolve at exactly 720x480.
    Good one and way to go.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obin View Post
    The Varicam is 3ccd 960x720 and the jvc is 3ccd 1280x720...the jvc has MORE resolution then Varicam...

I would use an HD lens on the JVC before the VariCam
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12