Thread: Mr. Leslie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot micheal! Most of the technical crap can be fixed in post, which i'm currently doing

the 180 degree rule is fairly unmissable and I didn't find it that distracting while editing, but the audience is right.

Again the only reason for this was to bathe the cops in dark and be hidden as if they were villains and keep Mr. Leslie in the light as the protagonist.

Micheal you're one of my favourite filmmakers on here, I'm a big fan, means a lot mate

2. Collapse Details
    It seemed a little dark other than that it looked good. The performances were great. It was all a little too straight forward for my tastes, but that's just me. I don't think the cop would've given up that easily, especially when it seemed his story wasn't complete. Overall a great little film.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

3. Collapse Details
    Nice work on the BTS. I loved seeing the sped-up work. The poster is good too, but I think the title needs to be in a bolder, prominent font.

4. Collapse Details
    Posters do tend to be the afterthought. Chris, I'm afraid it had to be that way storywise for the 6 minute limit :/ I felt the same way but I had to wrap it up quickly...

5. Collapse Details
    I'm a sucker for a British accent. Kudos on your first film here. I however was not captivated and here's why...

Spoiler:

Cliche-amonga! The very first moment the interrogation began you lost me. How many 70s television shows and movie have we seen this stereotypical, unprofessional interrogation. Too many. You had bad cop and bad cop. You didn't even it out by having a good cop. Was I interested in what really happened to the girl? After the first minute of film, no, not really.

Inserts on the tape recorder got old in a hurry. Audio was way too hot, echoed like others have commented. Dance sequence looked like it was done in a living room. No way did I believe it was a club and it was as stated, too long. Lighting was not good which makes me think you just didn't have the available equipment you needed or you thought this was cool for the room to be dark like that. Didn't work.

After the punch-in-face I was like, oh geez, seriously! You lacked originality from the get-go. It was the villain with a wrench in the parlor room, okay, the street. Was it a mystery? Not really. You didn't build suspense. But what you forgot the most was to make me care enough to root for someone, anyone.

So what was the villain's motive? Does it really matter?

Your villain acting was better than the other two, so at least the dialogue sounded somewhat normal. But you lacked "story" which is what you need to learn to do in six minutes.

I give you props for having multiple actors on your first gig.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Charli, very constructive

I agree with everything you've said. My defense? We had a one day shoot, no money or any equipment (apart from two lights). You were bang on the money there ;)

I just wanted to enter something! Standards weren't something I adhered to so much.

7. Collapse Details
    Spoiler:
    I liked the look and feel. Some interesting and artistic shots here as well. I thought the audio felt very natural. I like that. My only suggestion is to divert from the interrogation and give us more visuals. Other than that I liked the artistic choices. Very creative stuff.
    SCRIPTFEST VII TOP 3 | THE MELT | WEBSITE | IMDB | EMAIL
    Wordsmith & Graphic Designer. Will work for credit, coffee and money.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks Anthony! I do appreciate the opinions of writers

You got any scripts you're thinking about throwing out?

I've never directed something I haven't written before. Thought it'd be quite the challenge... ;)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345