Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Alexa / RED / Super 16 comparison footage
    Hi.

Just had the chance to shoot some real world test comparisons between the Alexa, RED MX and super 16. I'm in early pre for a TV series that is looking at switching from their previous camera platform.

Link Here

jb
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

2. Collapse Details
    Uiiii, how bad the RED looks in the first shot^^

Very nice test! Enjoyed it!

3. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Thanks John. Outstanding test. I really like the look of the Alexa, but, with some noise reduction, the Super 16 is pretty sweet. All in all though, the Red MX really isn't a slouch. Ya'll got a tough decision to make. Let us know which one you go with in the end. Thanks again.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

4. Collapse Details
    Wow, I was absolutely amazed at the Alexa shot in the beginning compared to the Super 16. Some of the Red MX shots I really liked the skin tones in, but overall, Alexa hands down on that. The Super 16 looked great as well, although definitely some noise reduction would be in order. Thanks for sharing your tests!
    formerly know as grimepoch.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David G. Smith View Post
    Thanks John. Outstanding test. I really like the look of the Alexa, but, with some noise reduction, the Super 16 is pretty sweet. All in all though, the Red MX really isn't a slouch. Ya'll got a tough decision to make. Let us know which one you go with in the end. Thanks again.
    Alexa seems to be what the producer's like. It's a bit more expensive than the RED...which is also more expensive than the previous season's format...

jb
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The 16mm wouldnt look as noisy if we saw the real file, vimeo really messes it up, along with blacks in general. The problem with it and HD is compression more than anything.

That RED is looking sad. Why do people love those cameras so much??

Too bad you couldnt test out an F3 with Slog, I bet it would hold up quite well and would cost so little. Go out to KiPro or PIX, etc...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinesin View Post
    The 16mm wouldnt look as noisy if we saw the real file, vimeo really messes it up, along with blacks in general. The problem with it and HD is compression more than anything.

That RED is looking sad. Why do people love those cameras so much??

Too bad you couldnt test out an F3 with Slog, I bet it would hold up quite well and would cost so little. Go out to KiPro or PIX, etc...
    Didn't think Slog was *shipping* yet on the F3 ?

I wasn't overwhelmed by the F3. It's a nice "insert" camera maybe, but I've been using AF100's in that role recently and they are smaller, and even cheaper.

jb
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

8. Collapse Details
    I think the female model was better than the guy. Oh, what was the question?
    Great job lighting, by the way.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The F3 is far more camera than an AF100. Why would you chose that, with its smaller sensor and less DR, when trying to match larger sensors and more expensive cameras? Do you have an anti-Sony thing going on?

No, Slog isnt shipping yet, that is why I said "too bad...". Even without Slog, it matches up to a RED just fine and exceeds it in low light. I own (ed) both and found the F3 to be the best thing out there for price, under an Alexa. I personally know a show in the UK that was all RED until they got some F3's... they took about a month to switch over completely.

10. Collapse Details
    The F3 is far more camera than an AF100.
    That's your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

Why would you chose that, with its smaller sensor and less DR, when trying to match larger sensors and more expensive cameras? Do you have an anti-Sony thing going on?
    The sensor size is close enough for me. I'd rather have a smaller (cheaper) camera thanks as an insert camera. I also use a GH1. And yeah. I don't like EX as a codec. Does that make me anti Sony ? You seem pretty protective of them...maybe you're the one that's insecure. All I said was that I wasn't overwhelmed by the F3. You took it as a slight against a camera you're obviously excited about. I just use the best camera for the job as I see it. I'm not wedded to brands. I'm pretty excited by the FS 100.

No, Slog isnt shipping yet, that is why I said "too bad...". Even without Slog, it matches up to a RED just fine and exceeds it in low light. I own (ed) both and found the F3 to be the best thing out there for price, under an Alexa. I personally know a show in the UK that was all RED until they got some F3's... they took about a month to switch over completely.
    I'm sure they're great. They're just not for me on the shows I'm doing. Maybe I'll end up doing a show where they're perfect for what I need. Right now, they are too physically close to the size of a RED or an Alexa. I don't see a need to use one when I have a better option on hand. They don't have enough of a point of difference for me. But that's just my circumstances. You obviously see them differently. Go for it.

jb
    Last edited by John Brawley; 05-30-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast