Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Canon FD Lenses
    #1
    Default
    Anyone suggest using the Canon FD Lenses with the NEX-FS100?

    Bower has an adapter from FD to E.

    What do you guys think? Will the FD lenses cover the Super 35nn sensor ok? I also heard that the FD went from a non-Bayonet to a Bayonet style throughout it's lifetime, I wonder if this poses any compatibility issues with the Bower adapter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    302
    Default
    Canon FD lenses, being "full frame" 35mm film lenses, will cover the FS100 sensor plus some.
    I don't know about the bower adapter but some FD adapters should be able to handle both the older and newer FD bayonet mounts.

    Have you seen the prices on Canon FD and Nikon AI/AIS lenses lately? They've been going up in the US by quite a lot, I would say by about 30% in the last year alone.

    Still very cheap compared to Cine lenses, but you get what you pay for.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wu View Post
    Canon FD lenses, being "full frame" 35mm film lenses, will cover the FS100 sensor plus some.
    I don't know about the bower adapter but some FD adapters should be able to handle both the older and newer FD bayonet mounts.

    Have you seen the prices on Canon FD and Nikon AI/AIS lenses lately? They've been going up in the US by quite a lot, I would say by about 30% in the last year alone.

    Still very cheap compared to Cine lenses, but you get what you pay for.
    So with the FD Lens on my NEX-FS100, does anyone know how focusing, iris and shutter speed would work?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ectobuilder View Post
    So with the FD Lens on my NEX-FS100, does anyone know how focusing, iris and shutter speed would work?
    Shutter speed doesn't change - it's handled by the chip on the camera (there is no physical shutter).

    Focusing is manual on the lens. No autofocus (which isn't really a big deal for most of us).

    With a standard adapter and a lens with electronic iris, iris will be wide open. If you have a mechanical iris on the lens, you will use it for iris adjustment. It is possible that someone might come out with an electronic adapter with iris control for the FD, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would buy lenses with mechanical iris control to be safe.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member Kraut69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    405
    Default
    I haven't been entirely happy with using CAnon FD lenses on my EOS DSLR's with an adapter because the adapter has a lens in it to allow focusing to infinity--I think that lens can degrade the images, maybe moreseo at lower apertures. I'm hoping for better images on the FS100, because the adapter doesn't require a lens in it. Any opinions? I should know for sure in the next couple of weeks after the FS-100 arrives.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Posts
    454
    Default
    Im familiar with FD glass from my GH2.
    Works great with pretty good quality for the price!
    I will certainly use my FDs on the FS100.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member Ian-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rockledge, Florida
    Posts
    3,414
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraut69 View Post
    I haven't been entirely happy with using CAnon FD lenses on my EOS DSLR's with an adapter because the adapter has a lens in it to allow focusing to infinity--I think that lens can degrade the images, maybe moreseo at lower apertures. I'm hoping for better images on the FS100, because the adapter doesn't require a lens in it. Any opinions? I should know for sure in the next couple of weeks after the FS-100 arrives.
    Well....you must know since the FS100 is not a DSLR (meaning it has no mirror) you would need a different adapter that does not include the extra piece of glass. That alone (one less element in front of the sensor) should increase your IQ.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member Hunter Hampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    2,655
    Default
    FD= my favorite, perfect balance of contrast, flare, and color for my tastes. Speaking of which I just put together a set of FD "L series" just for the fs100 + f3 - going to have rplens "cinevize" them later this week : )
    Hunter Hampton
    cargocollective.com/hunter

    vimeo.com/hunter


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    305
    Default
    FD "l" is nice but 24 mm f1.4 is not cheap. Nikon AIs has better range......especially Zooms


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member LoganMackay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    379
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter richards View Post
    FD= my favorite, perfect balance of contrast, flare, and color for my tastes. Speaking of which I just put together a set of FD "L series" just for the fs100 + f3 - going to have rplens "cinevize" them later this week : )

    Agreed!

    I was getting close to selling my 24/35/50/85 and did a comparison on a shoot the other day vs my Nikon 17-35... I think I am going to pitch the Nikon. I hate the focus throw on newer lenses.

    The FD mechanics are sublime, not to mention the image.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •