Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Canon FD Lenses
    Anyone suggest using the Canon FD Lenses with the NEX-FS100?

Bower has an adapter from FD to E.

What do you guys think? Will the FD lenses cover the Super 35nn sensor ok? I also heard that the FD went from a non-Bayonet to a Bayonet style throughout it's lifetime, I wonder if this poses any compatibility issues with the Bower adapter.

2. Collapse Details
    Canon FD lenses, being "full frame" 35mm film lenses, will cover the FS100 sensor plus some.
    I don't know about the bower adapter but some FD adapters should be able to handle both the older and newer FD bayonet mounts.

Have you seen the prices on Canon FD and Nikon AI/AIS lenses lately? They've been going up in the US by quite a lot, I would say by about 30% in the last year alone.

Still very cheap compared to Cine lenses, but you get what you pay for.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wu View Post
    Canon FD lenses, being "full frame" 35mm film lenses, will cover the FS100 sensor plus some.
    I don't know about the bower adapter but some FD adapters should be able to handle both the older and newer FD bayonet mounts.

Have you seen the prices on Canon FD and Nikon AI/AIS lenses lately? They've been going up in the US by quite a lot, I would say by about 30% in the last year alone.

Still very cheap compared to Cine lenses, but you get what you pay for.
    So with the FD Lens on my NEX-FS100, does anyone know how focusing, iris and shutter speed would work?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ectobuilder View Post
    So with the FD Lens on my NEX-FS100, does anyone know how focusing, iris and shutter speed would work?
    Shutter speed doesn't change - it's handled by the chip on the camera (there is no physical shutter).

Focusing is manual on the lens. No autofocus (which isn't really a big deal for most of us).

With a standard adapter and a lens with electronic iris, iris will be wide open. If you have a mechanical iris on the lens, you will use it for iris adjustment. It is possible that someone might come out with an electronic adapter with iris control for the FD, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would buy lenses with mechanical iris control to be safe.

5. Collapse Details
    I haven't been entirely happy with using CAnon FD lenses on my EOS DSLR's with an adapter because the adapter has a lens in it to allow focusing to infinity--I think that lens can degrade the images, maybe moreseo at lower apertures. I'm hoping for better images on the FS100, because the adapter doesn't require a lens in it. Any opinions? I should know for sure in the next couple of weeks after the FS-100 arrives.

6. Collapse Details
    Im familiar with FD glass from my GH2.
    Works great with pretty good quality for the price!
    I will certainly use my FDs on the FS100.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraut69 View Post
    I haven't been entirely happy with using CAnon FD lenses on my EOS DSLR's with an adapter because the adapter has a lens in it to allow focusing to infinity--I think that lens can degrade the images, maybe moreseo at lower apertures. I'm hoping for better images on the FS100, because the adapter doesn't require a lens in it. Any opinions? I should know for sure in the next couple of weeks after the FS-100 arrives.
    Well....you must know since the FS100 is not a DSLR (meaning it has no mirror) you would need a different adapter that does not include the extra piece of glass. That alone (one less element in front of the sensor) should increase your IQ.

8. Collapse Details
    FD= my favorite, perfect balance of contrast, flare, and color for my tastes. Speaking of which I just put together a set of FD "L series" just for the fs100 + f3 - going to have rplens "cinevize" them later this week : )
    Hunter Hampton
    cargocollective.com/hunter

vimeo.com/hunter

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    FD "l" is nice but 24 mm f1.4 is not cheap. Nikon AIs has better range......especially Zooms

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter richards View Post
    FD= my favorite, perfect balance of contrast, flare, and color for my tastes. Speaking of which I just put together a set of FD "L series" just for the fs100 + f3 - going to have rplens "cinevize" them later this week : )

Agreed!

I was getting close to selling my 24/35/50/85 and did a comparison on a shoot the other day vs my Nikon 17-35... I think I am going to pitch the Nikon. I hate the focus throw on newer lenses.

The FD mechanics are sublime, not to mention the image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast