Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I would never even consider using these unless their sand bagged. But that goes without saying. Im extremely anal about safety on set, and especially when it comes to stands. We bag EVERY STAND, whether the grips think it needs it or not. Even a little tota light could scar somone for life with severe burns, if it fell over unexpectedly. So if you do decide to go with these, make sure their sandbagged. As rick said they tip over very easy. There are two models, this is true, I have both, and actually the bigger beefier stands broke before the little ones. Go figure. If want to see the weak points in these I will post pics of the broken stands for you to see.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    I would never even consider using these unless their sand bagged. But that goes without saying. Im extremely anal about safety on set, and especially when it comes to stands. We bag EVERY STAND, whether the grips think it needs it or not. Even a little tota light could scar somone for life with severe burns, if it fell over unexpectedly. So if you do decide to go with these, make sure their sandbagged. As rick said they tip over very easy. There are two models, this is true, I have both, and actually the bigger beefier stands broke before the little ones. Go figure. If want to see the weak points in these I will post pics of the broken stands for you to see.
    Thank you, I'll like to see the pictures

3. Collapse Details
    I believe mine are the little stands. I got the DV Creator 1 kit, as I'm just not sure where I want to invest in lights yet and I agree that Tota gets HOT! My cat loves to sit under it when it's on. As a side question, because I agree, where is a good place to get sock weights online? I've got sandbags, but I'd like to add sock weights as well as I was on a shoot and found them REALLY useful.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burnett View Post
    I believe mine are the little stands. I got the DV Creator 1 kit, as I'm just not sure where I want to invest in lights yet and I agree that Tota gets HOT! My cat loves to sit under it when it's on. As a side question, because I agree, where is a good place to get sock weights online? I've got sandbags, but I'd like to add sock weights as well as I was on a shoot and found them REALLY useful.
    I really like the DP and OMNI models, they are hot but have a nice handle, last a lot, plenty of accessories, more than happy with this models
    I personally never liked TOTAS, what I'm planning to buy now are PROLIGHTS.
    As far as weights, I like those made by Calumet, really tough, I've travel a lot with them

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    Which model do you call the The beefier ones,
    Thank you for your answer
    Had to look online to see, couldn't remember the model. The KS stands, 7/8" tubes, are the only ones I have ever used. Those are reasonably stout.

+1 on sandbagging them for safety. Used to use Mini-brute par fixtures on these at full extension, sometimes with a pole added for extra height, for lighting factory interiors.

6. Collapse Details
    Rick, are you thinking of Boa Bags? Try filmtools.com and search for shot bags.

7. Collapse Details
    No problem, I will snap some pics in a bit. Just finishing up on an edit as I write this. It's only like the tenth revision, but it's a very good client. lol

Anyways, Rick You can find some good deals on ebay for the empty bags. Sometimes you can get the 20lbs bags for like five bucks (empty) You can fill them with sand or shot. Clean sand is fine. I have a mix. To be honest, my favorite bags that I tend to grab most are actually 5lb ankle weights, that have a strap held by velco. So for a tota stand, One five lb bag is fine. But for cstands, I use like twenty lbs or so. It all depends on the situation. This was the first rule I taught my students where I teach. Safety before anything else, As I find it to be the number 1 most important issue when dealing with lights that can mame or even kill. (5k if it falls over on someone could do some serious damage)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    No problem, I will snap some pics in a bit. Just finishing up on an edit as I write this. It's only like the tenth revision, but it's a very good client. lol

Anyways, Rick You can find some good deals on ebay for the empty bags. Sometimes you can get the 20lbs bags for like five bucks (empty) You can fill them with sand or shot. Clean sand is fine. I have a mix. To be honest, my favorite bags that I tend to grab most are actually 5lb ankle weights, that have a strap held by velco. So for a tota stand, One five lb bag is fine. But for cstands, I use like twenty lbs or so. It all depends on the situation. This was the first rule I taught my students where I teach. Safety before anything else, As I find it to be the number 1 most important issue when dealing with lights that can mame or even kill. (5k if it falls over on someone could do some serious damage)
    I agree with you about safety and since electricity can kill you I also watch all the electrical stuff on set like a hawk and bitch out people who treat it with indifference. I'm sure you do too.

For grins somebody ought to do another repeat of how to properly bag a C-stand. It's always amusing to me that there is a little disagreement among experienced people on exactly what should be done.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    Had to look online to see, couldn't remember the model. The KS stands, 7/8" tubes, are the only ones I have ever used. Those are reasonably stout.

+1 on sandbagging them for safety. Used to use Mini-brute par fixtures on these at full extension, sometimes with a pole added for extra height, for lighting factory interiors.
    I bought 10 minutes ago this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Jr_Light.html
    is light, short when folded .
    Something tells me is gonna work.
    Thanks

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    I bought 10 minutes ago this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Jr_Light.html
    is light, short when folded .
    Something tells me is gonna work.
    Thanks
    I've got stands from everybody including this one. It will work great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12