Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Gilden View Post
    What you are describing above is pretty much exactly my beef with Canon. I theorized a long time ago that Canon isn't interested in improving the video quality of their DSLRs because they don't need to. The consumer opinion of their video IQ is high enough to keep sales moving, and the professionals who need more are invited to buy into their pro-level cinema line of equipment (c100, etc). I believe that's why we keep seeing only minor feature upgrades (articulating screens, autofocus, etc), whereas the actual quality of the video has not changed.

Nikon, meanwhile, appears to be trying really hard to expand their market here. The quality of video in their more recent offerings, such as the D5300 that you mention, is really compelling. The DR and image quality is better than just about any Canon in movie mode (unless you are recording with ML RAW), and I've heard some folks claim it is the best APS-C bang-for-your-buck for video. But the ergonomics constantly remind you that Nikon designed this to be a stills camera. A colleague of mine used a D5300 and was frustrated that, for example, you can't set the aperture of native lenses while in movie mode. He had to keep stopping and switching modes to access the exposure controls he needed. But I suppose most DSLR-camera bodies are a tradeoff of quality-to-ergonomics, Canon very much included.

Personally, I've embraced Panasonic for my own work. The MFT crop isn't as bad as you might think it is (multi-aspect sensors like the GH2 actually get wider in movie mode as opposed to the Canon's widescreen crop inward, sort of meeting close in the middle), and with the addition of Speedboosters/focal reducers, the crop is actually WIDER than my Canon APS-C is! They are the only DSLR-style bodies that don't seem to have the limitations in video mode that their larger mirrored equivalents do, and I recommend that anyone interested in this style of camera at least give them a very strong consideration.

That being said, I do still own and love my Canon DSLR. I kept one, and I use it occasionally for Magic Lantern (which is GREAT) and for shoots that request Canon gear specifically. I can't say that I'd upgrade to anything new from Canon personally, although the rumors are that Canon plans to revamp their DSLR video when 4K becomes a consumer standard.
    You read my mind! Canon is playing like it should. Let the others overtake the market (not really) but when the competition gets too far ahead come back with bang and be there like a boss.

Anyways nikon is trying really hard. They have given us great DR,color depth, good sharpness but they're dumb or ignorant to our other needs. They gave us great video with the d5300 but made it a pain to use. Heck, we cant dial in the color temperature n we're left to use the cloudy,incandescent, florescent n what not WB profiles why nikon why? N well we cant change the aperture in LV mode. Why???

How i wish we get a hybrid of canikon with Nikon's sensor and canon's body and interface. :p

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ks*%tiz View Post
    You read my mind! Canon is playing like it should. Let the others overtake the market (not really) but when the competition gets too far ahead come back with bang and be there like a boss.
    Well... the problem is, by refusing to play along with the competition, you risk losing the hearts and minds of the early adopters that made you great in the first place. Back in 2010, Canon was the king of the DSLR video hill. They got cinematographers to "downgrade" to smaller cameras with a weak codec because of the ratio of price-to-performance, and even some colleagues who are fans of other camera manufacturers (Nikon, etc) switched to Canon for their well-known respected video chops. But they let it slip, IMO.

Most of my friends and colleagues who switched to it have since left for greener pastures. I'd love to see Canon come back with a vengeance as I consider myself platform agnostic and prefer not to play favorites, but I'd be lying if I didn't have a sour taste in my mouth from Canon's perceived lack of innovation on the DSLR video front. I fear that most of the shooters that switched won't be coming back unless they deliver something truly amazing. And judging by their cinema vs DSLR track record, they might deliver something just good enough to keep their DSLR video market relevance, but not enough to really take it back from those that left it.

How i wish we get a hybrid of canikon with Nikon's sensor and canon's body and interface. :p
    LOL- honestly, I'd want that Canikon only if they worked together with Magic Lantern to flesh out their UI. Otherwise, I'd much prefer the UI and codecs of Panasonic since it seems actually designed for video as opposed to just being an afterthought like the other DSLR style shooters are.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Gilden View Post

LOL- honestly, I'd want that Canikon only if they worked together with Magic Lantern to flesh out their UI. Otherwise, I'd much prefer the UI and codecs of Panasonic since it seems actually designed for video as opposed to just being an afterthought like the other DSLR style shooters are.
    LOL yeah thats why i said Nikon's sensor and canon's body, UI , etc. Obviously ML is the only reason canon can still afford to sell the same sensor for 5 years and still make a profit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234