Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    I'd kindly disagree, as a T2i and 60D owner. The 60D trumps the T2i in several key ways.

1. the 60D has ISO options that the T2i does not (160, 250 etc), and these intermediate ISO settings are far less noisy.
    If you google this you'll find some articles about this fact.

2. the 60D has a real kelvin scale so you can dial in your color temperature, while the T2i just gives you a few "settings" for white balance.

3. the 60D's manual audio is fantastic, when I lower the audio input way down, and plug in the recently released rode video mic pro (if you don't own it, BUY IT),
    and set the rode to +20 db, the shotgun mic sounds like a freakin' LAV on my 60D. Total and complete game changer for run and gun audio. it has won me many jons this past 6 months.

4. swivel screen: you can't live without it once you've used it. In a car, riding shotgun, put the camera down by your knee and shoot up towards the driver. With the T2i you are guessing,
    with the 60D swivel screen I am framing the shot.

My take is that, aside from the 5D, the 60D trumps the T2i, T3i and 7D. I know the 7D is weather proof, but no swivel screen and no manual audio is weak.

Lastly, magic lantern is a pain, and a hack, you don't need it with the 60D.

My 2 cents. And despite my opinion, all of these cameras are GREAT!
    If you read the first post, you'd understand that the t2i can do all of that. Well, except for the swivel screen.

And Magic Lantern is a must. Even on the 60D.

Quote Originally Posted by MDKfilms View Post
    I just recently shot a national commercial for KLM airlines with a bare-bones stock kit lens T2i. No mattebox, no follow focus, nothing but the camera as it comes out of the box. One of the producers asked me what I was going to shoot on, I held up my cam and said "This camera right here." He was gob smacked. He said "Really? "I said "Wait till you see the footage." I went on to explain that it is not so much the camera as the guy using the camera and knowing how to light. After they saw the footage they were very happy.
    please share!

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MDKfilms View Post
    I just recently shot a national commercial for KLM airlines with a bare-bones stock kit lens T2i. No mattebox, no follow focus, nothing but the camera as it comes out of the box. One of the producers asked me what I was going to shoot on, I held up my cam and said "This camera right here." He was gob smacked. He said "Really? "I said "Wait till you see the footage." I went on to explain that it is not so much the camera as the guy using the camera and knowing how to light. After they saw the footage they were very happy.
    I would love to see your end product if at all possible.
    Gh2, Canon FD set from 24-85mm and 14mm panasonic.

3. Collapse Details
    As soon as it is out. I don't have regular TV anymore, I am one of those Netflix people and I download. So if anyone here from Canada has TSN you will probably see it before I do. I will ask the producers for a copy for my reel, but that can take awhile if at all.

As for ML, it is a must have on these DSLR's. The new build that just came out as of December adds just that little bit extra to the already impressive features.
    Last edited by MDKfilms; 01-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I have a 5dmk2 for main footage, and the 550D (T2i) for B camera stuff. I found the 550D to be freakin' AWESOME! Although it has the crop factor, it's still fantastic. Footage can be a bit shaky when compared to the 5D due to the 550D pushing in making a 50mm more like an 85mm...but slam it on a pod or merlin and you're set. Easy to use, batteries are cheap and so are SD cards. Very Very easy option! Bought the 550D, 50mm 1.8, 2 (+1 included) batteries, 32gb SD card and case for around 900 bucks.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for doing this guys, I have spent many hours scouring the interwebs looking for some of this info in a collected space. Thanks.

6. Collapse Details
    So Its 2014!!
    Lightbulb
    Okay.. I still think the best bang for buck in canon aps-c range is the canon 60D and not the 70D (Who uses autofocus anyways) . But here is the thing.. Now that its 2014 .. Canon still sells the same sensor it started selling in 2008/2009 when the competition the panny's, sony, ohh how can we forget the nikon all have better image quality, sharpness,DR, color depth. Is canon apsc still worth buying over lets say something like the nikon d5300? (Panasonic sells MFT thats why didnt compare with the GH3)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ks*%tiz View Post
    Okay.. I still think the best bang for buck in canon aps-c range is the canon 60D and not the 70D (Who uses autofocus anyways) . But here is the thing.. Now that its 2014 .. Canon still sells the same sensor it started selling in 2008/2009 when the competition the panny's, sony, ohh how can we forget the nikon all have better image quality, sharpness,DR, color depth. Is canon apsc still worth buying over lets say something like the nikon d5300? (Panasonic sells MFT thats why didnt compare with the GH3)
    What you are describing above is pretty much exactly my beef with Canon. I theorized a long time ago that Canon isn't interested in improving the video quality of their DSLRs because they don't need to. The consumer opinion of their video IQ is high enough to keep sales moving, and the professionals who need more are invited to buy into their pro-level cinema line of equipment (c100, etc). I believe that's why we keep seeing only minor feature upgrades (articulating screens, autofocus, etc), whereas the actual quality of the video has not changed.

Nikon, meanwhile, appears to be trying really hard to expand their market here. The quality of video in their more recent offerings, such as the D5300 that you mention, is really compelling. The DR and image quality is better than just about any Canon in movie mode (unless you are recording with ML RAW), and I've heard some folks claim it is the best APS-C bang-for-your-buck for video. But the ergonomics constantly remind you that Nikon designed this to be a stills camera. A colleague of mine used a D5300 and was frustrated that, for example, you can't set the aperture of native lenses while in movie mode. He had to keep stopping and switching modes to access the exposure controls he needed. But I suppose most DSLR-camera bodies are a tradeoff of quality-to-ergonomics, Canon very much included.

Personally, I've embraced Panasonic for my own work. The MFT crop isn't as bad as you might think it is (multi-aspect sensors like the GH2 actually get wider in movie mode as opposed to the Canon's widescreen crop inward, sort of meeting close in the middle), and with the addition of Speedboosters/focal reducers, the crop is actually WIDER than my Canon APS-C is! They are the only DSLR-style bodies that don't seem to have the limitations in video mode that their larger mirrored equivalents do, and I recommend that anyone interested in this style of camera at least give them a very strong consideration.

That being said, I do still own and love my Canon DSLR. I kept one, and I use it occasionally for Magic Lantern (which is GREAT) and for shoots that request Canon gear specifically. I can't say that I'd upgrade to anything new from Canon personally, although the rumors are that Canon plans to revamp their DSLR video when 4K becomes a consumer standard.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

8. Collapse Details
    (Who uses autofocus anyways)
    Tell that to all the C100 users who paid around 500$ for the AF upgrade. And keep in mind AF of the C100 is much less usable than AF of 70D. Technology is moving fast and every tool we can have in our camera to help us tell our story better and easier is very welcomed!
    If you stick to the old mentality..."AF is not PRO, I dont use it" you ll be left behind...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrov View Post
    Tell that to all the C100 users who paid around 500$ for the AF upgrade. And keep in mind AF of the C100 is much less usable than AF of 70D. Technology is moving fast and every tool we can have in our camera to help us tell our story better and easier is very welcomed!
    If you stick to the old mentality..."AF is not PRO, I dont use it" you ll be left behind...
    Yeah i agree with you but i still dont think the canon 70D's autofocus is usable all the time. Yes its a great leap compared to the hunt for focus n keep hunting autofocus that we normally see in a dslr. But yes maybe when canon releases its 7D mark 2 .. I think that will be in a class of its own n then ill say the autofocus is very important.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah i agree with you but i still dont think the canon 70D's autofocus is usable all the time. Yes its a great leap compared to the hunt for focus n keep hunting autofocus that we normally see in a dslr. But yes maybe when canon releases its 7D mark 2 .. I think that will be in a class of its own n then ill say the autofocus is very important.
    Usable ALL the time...NO...no AUTO anything can be usable ALL the time...Check my comments about the usability of 70D AF here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...EX5R-Autofocus
    And also...I just replied to one of your questions regarding the 70D here:http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...g-Movies/page4

So many threads...haha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast