Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks. So do all of your patches work on the GH1 and the GF1?
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Thanks. So do all of your patches work on the GH1 and the GF1?
    Unfortunately, the Max Latitude Patch and Blackout-Powell Patch use PTool settings that work properly only on the GH1. For AVCHD video on the GF1, I recommend my 50Mbps AVCHD Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch. The anamorphic MJPEG patch, however, will work the same on both GH1 and GF1 cameras.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetto View Post
    So if I understand, the difference with the former 25p with 15-GOP is that by tuning down the SH mode to 30fps, you win out with more stability and higher ceiling for the FHD bit-rate, correct?
    Yes, for the Max Latitude Patch I developed a new stabilization technique that delivers up to twice the peak bitrate of the Blackout-Powell Patch, at the cost of losing the 50/60p SH video mode. While the reliability of the NTSC Native 24p FHD mode is about the same in both patches, the PAL Native 25p FHD mode in the Max Latitude Patch is significantly more robust.

4. Collapse Details
    Lpowell, if you were a girl, I'd stalk you. Got two sd cards, each loaded with the 24p blackout-lpowel and 75mb peak performance patches respectively. They both leave viewers slack-jawed, but it's been driving me crazy that I can't shoot anything in mottled sunlight. Let's just see about that now.... TFYGA (thanksforyourgeniusagain).
    Last edited by Ed Farnsworth; 05-16-2011 at 12:42 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Hi Again greatful of you delivering these patches.
    I can report after trying this patch today that FHD breaks up with mud all over the place using faster shutter speeds with both slow and fast pans (I had shutter over 100 to see how robust)...I went back to my old settings and FHD is mud free when using high shutter speeds.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Mr P,

I hacked my GH! (as I like to call it, shift all the way) and my Kowa 2x fits snugly inside my fd 50mm 1.4 so I just taped it on with insulation tape!

It works well though. I've tried the Mpeg but I too get the white line on the bottom and the resolution is pretty dull at 540 IMHO. The AVCHD though is amazing. Vegas spews out 3840x1080 and it looks mint, quicktime player starts full size and it's huge and lovely, very filmic, and that's only on the reliable patch which only failed on a fountain after a minute maybe.

I've loaded the badboy patch and have an extreme 30mb/s to play about with. I can't describe how amazing it is having what to me seems like a pocket movie camera, the anamorphic seems to give it a dreamy feel, slightly less crisp but in a good way in my opinion, less like broadcast, more like movie.

I'll try shooting 'bushes of death' 2mo. I'd be happy making my movie with reliable so am intrigued to see the difference. Is it still the case that certain patches are better for certain things? That would make a great sticky.

I'm gonna stick with the FHD and stretch in post as I can't see anything dodgy and I think the extra resolution looks better. I don't know if any film festivals could handle the 2538x1080 rather than the 1920x810 mind. Is it wasted resolution? If it is I could tape a tiny bit top and bottom for deshaking I thought and crop. I really like the supercinemascope. I'm gonna have to tape off the screen though as I keep framing for supercinemascope and not cinemascope though.

I shall report back from PALland 2mo.

Thanks again Mr P

7. Collapse Details

Quick one shot test of exact same settings used on the GH2 and GH1 at 100mb

8. Collapse Details
    lpowell, will in your opinion unchecking Native 24/25p increase stability in this very patch? That Native 25p option isn't a big deal in the PAL world, I don't need it much and it's known to cause troubles. I'm going to try it anyway but perhaps your personal testings have revealed some real-life statistics. That would be good to know beforehand.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by zigizigi View Post
    lpowell, will in your opinion unchecking Native 24/25p increase stability in this very patch?
    Good question, zigizigi! The patch does in fact work without Native 24/25p checked, and produces comparable bitrates. My initial tests didn't show any clearcut benefits to recording in interlaced mode, and I assumed people would naturally prefer Native 24/25p. However, more thorough testing might well reveal an improvement in reliability, if not in PAL FHD mode, perhaps with interlaced NTSC FHD recordings.

10. Collapse Details
    Thx Lpowell for your hard work. I just filmed grass and trees with reducing exposure levels by 1/3 so with ntsc it crashed after few seconds and using pal it crashed after about a minute. Now i probably will go back to the "40Mbps AVCHD High Reliability Patch" since that's the only one that never crashes but at the same time i wanna test this one a lil more cause i'm kinda tired of the pulldown removal step cause it takes alotta time and after i do it the mov files are way bigger than the mts.

Don't know if i understood right but is this patch performing better in low light than "40Mbps AVCHD High Reliability Patch" ? Knowing that in low light i always use Emory's Setting to reduce FPN.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast