Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
  1. Collapse Details
    Someone told me that the latest version of ML for the 7D now allows for continuous RAW video shooting IF you have a fast enough CF card. I've been looking and looking and can't seem to find anyone online information regarding it. Even ML's website (which I've never been a fan of because it's terrible [imho]) navigation doesn't really seem to offer much as far an knowledge.

Any help.

2. Collapse Details
    Technically, this is possible but the immense size of RAW recording makes it impractical if that's why you are interested in it. A 32GB card, for example, will hold roughly 90 minutes of MOV clips when using your 7D's standard recording mode. But with RAW video recording, it will average about 8 - 10 minutes before it is completely full. That's less than a single MOV recording at the standard h.264!

As you may or may not know, the reason your 7D only records 12-15 minutes per clip is that files are limited to 4GB on your card. Video cameras and other still shooters that don't have a recording limit (Panasonic GH, etc) get around this limitation by spanning to the next file when the previous one is full. Canon decided that their Digic 4 DSLRs did not need to file span since they aren't video cameras, and therefore recording abruptly ends at 4GB.

Magic Lantern's RAW recording dumps the sensor's unprocessed frames into a file. When the 4GB limit is reached, it starts the next file and continues dumping, just like any good file spanning system. The problem is that whenever a file is closed and a new one started, it requires some extra read/write operations that need to be performed, which takes up valuable time in the real world (how much time depends on the speed of the card). If the card is too slow, it wouldn't be able to do it fast enough to continue recording without missing a beat, and the recording will have to stop. This is true of any file spanning camera, and does not have anything to do with ML RAW. A hacked GH2 has the same problem at high bitrates.

Here's the bigger problem, though. RAW files are ginormous. That means you need a card fast enough to keep up with the massive amount of memory dumping. All but the fastest cards on the market may randomly stop recording long before a 4GB limit is reached. And even if you spent top dollar to get the fastest on the market, you'll need enough space to make it worth while. A 128GB card will probably get you 30-45 minutes of continuous RAW recording, assuming it doesn't stop somewhere else in the middle. And then you have to deal with the workflow of converting a massive 128GB of unprocessed video into something you can actually open in your editor.

Depending on what you are hoping to do with your 7D, this may not be a practical solution. I think that may be why you haven't seen much on this topic!

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Does adusting bitrate on 5d3 1.2.3 need h264.ini and where to get it?
    (Should go shoot tomorrow and not enough mem cards for raw...)

4. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have the 5D MKIII firmware 1.2.3 file?
    The file is named something like 5D3300123.FIR, usually wrapped in zip format.
    If you do, please PM me.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031