Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    micro 4/3 lens electronic pinout for the focus control
    Hello!

Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone know the specs for micro 4/3 lens electronic pinout for the motor control? Since these lenses are shared amongst brands for autofocus, aperture, etc, I'd like to know what each pin does?

My idea was to make a paper thin ring with gold contacts on each side, like the ribbon cables used to connect laptop LCD displays. The signal would just pass through, but have a connector that can be tapped outside the lens.

With something like an Arduino microcontroller, you could monitor the signals, for focus etc. Then you'd be able to add an external potentiometer and let the Arduino send the focus signals.

So now you could have a relatively inexpensive electronic, or even wireless follow focus on any of you auto focus lenses.

I'm thinking, you could also do the same approach on a Nikon or Canon. Once the Arduino knows how to control the lens, you could add that to a m 4/3 adapter and use the internal motors of a canon/Nikon lens with the EFF (Electronic Follow Focus).

I can't imagine the signals from the camera to the lens to focus in or out would be to complicated.

So if anyone knows of the lens specs, please let me know.

Max

2. Collapse Details
    For Canon Lenses:

Pinout and pin functions:
    Left to right, looking at the front of the body:
    1. VBAT
    2. P-GND 3. P-GND (pins 2 & 3 are common on the lens)
    4. VDD
    5. DCL
    6. DLC
    7. LCLK
    8. D_GND
    Pin Functions
    VBAT - Motor power
    P_GND - Motor power ground
    VDD - Logic circuitry power
    D_GND - Logic circuitry ground
    DCL - Data from body to lens
    DLC - Data from lens to body
    LCLK - Clock
    Data protocol: Motorola SPI; 8 bit serial; Such as the protocol used with the 68HC05 chip.
    --

3. Collapse Details
    The basic Nikon interface is 5 pins, Vcc (regulated power), RW1 (tach), SCK (serial clock), SIO (serial data), gap, gap, LGND (ground). That's enough to power a lens's little CPU (power and ground), communicate with it (clock and data), and monitor the motion due to the AF motor (tach).
    For AF-S and AF-I lenses, they fill the gap with RW2 (clock in quadrature with RW1) and LBAT (unregulated power) for 7 pins.
    Some lenses add an extra high current ground, for 8 pins. High end Nikon cameras have 8 pins, cameras with lower power electronics have 7.
    And higher end AF-S lenses add two more pins for communication between the chips in the lens and AF teleconverter. That's why they're typically only seen on larger AF-S lenses that make sense to use with teleconverters. Nikon cameras have 7 or 8 pins, teleconverters have 10.

Pin 8 is an extra ground, which helps with the lenses with big motors. Pins 9 and 10 are for teleconverters.

4. Collapse Details
    Did you ever learn how the micro 4/3 pinouts are constructed? I'm also interested in that information...

5. Collapse Details
    It doesn't appear to be useful information without knowing the message format. From the pin descriptions, the interface is message based, and will not accept a signal from a potentiometer for focus or zoom, if that is your intention, as it was with the OP.

6. Collapse Details
    Anybody know pinout of 4/3 or m4/3

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    I'd check for patents. Those would describe a lot of details, even messages. The Canon EF patents lay out the messages and a ton of information.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm lookig for..... and nothing.

10. Collapse Details
    only known LSB2A
    LSCK - clock
    LSDIO - ??? may 1 wire bus (or JTAG)
    LSL2B - LENS to BODY
    LSB2L - BODY to LENS
    LSRST - RESET (may be fot JTAG)
    LSDET - may be Lens Detect (pin on lens short to GND)
    But pins numbers unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast