Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Before you pay anyone for a LUT,

LUT Buddy and Colorista are free from Red Giant:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/down...free-products/

The free Technicolor LUT is here:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/cin...tyle-downloads

Load it up in LUT Buddy, and like magic you have a really nice place to start grading your footage with Colorista.

It works really well.

Cheers,

Visugeek

2. Collapse Details
    Ok I got it to load in photo mode but the it is still titled as User Def.1. When I switch back to movie mode it the cinestyle settings return ti the default Def 1 settings
    Michael Rockmore

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by visugeek View Post
    Before you pay anyone for a LUT,

LUT Buddy and Colorista are free from Red Giant:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/down...free-products/

The free Technicolor LUT is here:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/cin...tyle-downloads

Load it up in LUT Buddy, and like magic you have a really nice place to start grading your footage with Colorista.

It works really well.

Cheers,

Visugeek
    Been there, unfortunately they don't work with Avid MC

Dave

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMORE View Post
    Ok I got it to load in photo mode but the it is still titled as User Def.1. When I switch back to movie mode it the cinestyle settings return ti the default Def 1 settings
    - upload them to the camera with EOS Utility, in P mode
    - disconnect USB cable
    - turn dial to Movie mode
    - press MENU button, go to 4th tab with Left/Right buttons, enter Picture Styles
    - scroll down to User Def 1., press DISP. button
    - press SET on the first menu item (Picture Stlye)
    - with Up/Down buttons select your custom style (Flat, Marvel etc)
    - press SET again, then MENU to go back
    - do the same for User Def 2 and 3.
    - exit by pressing MENU several times

After this, when in Movie mode, press Q button, with Up/Down buttons select the picture styles icon, and with the dial scroll to your desired custom style. Its name will be displayed on the bottom right of the screen.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMORE View Post
    Any solution for grading the Technicolor profile that doesn't involve a high price plug in?
    Red Giant Magic Bullet LUT Buddy; being free, I don't think you can complain at the price (yet, as someone else said, it doesn't work on avid)

BUT YOU DON'T EVEN NEED IT: I opened the .lut file on a text editor, and it's just three S curves, for RGB, and they're all the same! So I got the Technicolor Cinestyle ultra flat image, applied some curves to it, and got basically the same result as with the LUT! This means that this ultra flat picture style is so nice that you can get back your pretty colors with a simple luma S curve. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH PREVIOUS ULTRA FLAT PICTURE STYLES. Amazing.
    http://www.similaar.com/foto/picture...urestyles.html

Quote Originally Posted by DorianVasco View Post
    If you grade it and use the LUT the histogram gets really stretched, which cant be good for the details... only 0-255 of possible values, remember?

take a look at these two histograms:

picture taken with Neutral picture style and contrast=-2:
    crop_neutral1_2_h.gif
    same picture, taken with Technicolor and contrast=-4, then LUT applied:
    crop_technicolor3_lut_h.gif
    the first one represents "trying to get in camera something close to your final image", the second one is "shoot with the Technicolor picture style and then get your final image as you want it in post"

as you see, if you don't need the DR, it's best not to stretch your color space too thin; apart from making the codec closer to 7-bit (128 shades instead of 256) at the time of capturing your images, with the LUT you're adding contrast to all the noise and sharpening artifacts in your recorded images
    here you can see the original pictures and further explanations:
    http://www.similaar.com/foto/picture...urestyles.html

on the other hand, as Evangelos said on this other thread, having a log color space is nice:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?247555-Technicolor-Cinestyle-released!&p=2325079&highlight=#post2325079
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos Achillopoulos View Post
    Let’s assume that we want to capture an 8 stops image from a sensor that has 12 bits internal processing that’s 4096 steps of light intensity to an 8bit compressed H264 file that’s 256 steps.

In “linear” the top brightest stop n. 8 will consume 128 steps, the stop n. 7 will consume the next 64 steps and the stop n. 6 will consume the next 32 steps. The top 3 brightest stops of an image when is being described in linear will result to “consume” the 87,5% of the available bits in a file, leaving the lower 5 stops of the mid-tones/shadows to be described by just 32 bits…!!!

On "Log" we allocate 10 stops in equivalent segments like 25 bits for each stop. That results to a secondary data compression of an applied curve, which needs to be decompressed with the use of an appropriate 3D LUT in order to counteract accurately also the saturation of the converted image. By doing that we effectively recreate information that wasn’t visible in the original file but was there in the original image the sensor was capturing.

So the difference between Linear and Log is night and day… given that you use the correct conversion 3D LUT.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeapilot View Post
    - upload them to the camera with eos utility, in p mode
    - disconnect usb cable
    - turn dial to movie mode
    - press menu button, go to 4th tab with left/right buttons, enter picture styles
    - scroll down to user def 1., press disp. Button
    - press set on the first menu item (picture stlye)
    - with up/down buttons select your custom style (flat, marvel etc)
    - press set again, then menu to go back
    - do the same for user def 2 and 3.
    - exit by pressing menu several times

after this, when in movie mode, press q button, with up/down buttons select the picture styles icon, and with the dial scroll to your desired custom style. Its name will be displayed on the bottom right of the screen.
    thanks, man !

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanBates View Post
    Red Giant Magic Bullet LUT Buddy; being free, I don't think you can complain at the price

[/URL]
    Oh yeah Buddy boy, free is the right word. I did stumble across that after a little surfing, thanks.
    Michael Rockmore

8. Collapse Details
    Interesting NormanBates!

9. Collapse Details
    It doesnt really add any more dynamic range than neutral and -4 contrast, but it doesnt make specular clay-like faces when you bump contrast in color correction ,adding contrast will reduce dynamic range tho and blow out whites quickly so i dont know... its harder to judge white balance with this technicolor profile.So you record flat picture and bring back contrast and end up with picture like with regular picture styles,is it worth it i dont know really,blacks are bumped up ,there is no black actually and you need to crush blacks adding contrast to get details on faces.

10. Collapse Details
    it records a lot more DR than neutral with contrast=-4, then crushes it in post with the LUT/Scurve, that brings it close to what you would get in camera if you shot neutral with contrast=-2; but it's a non-destructive crush: it doesn't destroy your shadow detail (it is still there, under your S curve or LUT, and you can recover it if you want)

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast