Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I ran some tests, applying different picture styles over a RAW photo
    http://www.similaar.com/foto/picture...urestyles.html

from these tests, the Technicolor CineStyle profile is really powerful: it can bring up shadows that even the aggressive curves on "extra flat" Portrait and Neutral profiles are crushing to black. So, if you need extended dynamic range, Technicolor CineStyle is an amazing tool. But, as with all ultra-flat pictures styles, skin tones look awful, and I have trouble getting back nice skin in post (more than probably this is my fault, more skilled people seem to be doing great)

this picture style also comes with a LUT that, I presume, could solve all my problems when trying to get back my nice skin tones in post
    but, how do I do to apply that LUT to my footage? from what I've read, it seems to be easy on FCP, but I don't have that; can this LUT be used in premiere or vegas? maybe AE?

edit:
    I see the LUT file is just a text file with three curves, which I presume are for each RGB channel; so I guess there won't be a big performance hit
    I can't get the "apply color LUT" effect to use this .lut file as an input; is the solution to somehow translate this .lut into a different format?

2. Collapse Details
    I'd like to know more about LUTs and LOG using AE to Color Grade.
    Brad Ferrell - Producer/Director

www.ferrellfilmsllc.com - Development, Production, and Post

H-Town Brawlers in Development.
    Machine Gun Man in Development.
    Skipper in Post.
    Man in the Closet in Post.
    No Chance in Hell in Pre-Production.

3. Collapse Details
    and just a few hours later, with a lot more knowledge in my head, I've changed my mind completely: this Technicolor thing is AMAZING

not because it gets more DR than every other picture style out there, which may be close but probably is not the case, but because it comes with a LUT file that MAKES WONDERS

see my post above, where I say "as with all ultra-flat pictures styles, skin tones look awful, and I have trouble getting back nice skin in post (more than probably this is my fault, more skilled people seem to be doing great)"
    not the case anymore: I downloaded the free Red Giant Magic Bullet LUT Buddy, used it to apply the Technicolor LUT to the image, and voila, beautiful skin tones recovered!

so now I can get a lot of DR on my original footage (that I can use by applying my color grading effects below the LUT layer), and can easily get nice skin tones in my final images (even with my very limited skills): IT'S NEARLY PERFECT (the only drawback being that the codec's 8 bits of color now have to be spread over a larger dynamic range, so there will be more noise in the final images, and codec and sharpening artifacts will be more visible)

see the additional row in my table of results:
    http://www.similaar.com/foto/picture...urestyles.html

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the tests Norman, great info. I was disregarding the lut's aspect of this until I saw your post. Now i'm definitely using this for sure. The noise is somewhat an annoyance, but at this point I'm not letting it bother me with how much help this new profile is.

5. Collapse Details
    i'm not too sure about this new color profile
    i can match my the normal superflat and the Technicolor perfectly with just luma curve and procamp in premier pro cs5
    the Technicolor seem to raise the shadow a bit more
    the color satiation seems to be -2.5 instead of normal super flat -2
    the contrast seems to be -5 (higher than you can get on camera) instead of -4 on the normal super flat
    doesn't produce sharper image in my test

6. Collapse Details
    LUT's etc...
    Just to clear up few thinks, LUTs are having varius ways to be used:

1. Viewing LUTís, these are LUTís that can be created from special software like CineSpace with the aim to calibrate accurately your display devices to certain targets like Filmout Stocks, DCP, REC709 etc.

2. Looks LUTís, these are LUTís to take an A image ďoriginalĒ that you will alter it (color correct it) to an image B ďnew imageĒ and because you want to transfer that Look to other applications you will need to create a Look LUT which when it will be applied to images it will convert them from Look A to the Look B.

3. Conversion LUTís, these LUTís are designed to take a given color space like a given Film Stock or Cineon Log to REC709 or DCP, these LUTís can be applied in the video output and used to color grade a LOG sourced image (like Technicolor Canon style is) to REC709.

The first is needed to bring your viewing environment to an accurate state in order to have the confidence of what you see is also visible to your clients and to the world. This is a difficult and very expensive task to achieve, it needs special software that costs more than 1500$ and up, plus probe and monitor that can perform. Have in mind the package needed isnít the typical Desktop Publishing monitor icc calibrators but rather the cinema counterparts that supporting 3D LUTís. This can be covered along with the third point in the most cost effective way by using our consulting services.

The second point is what the Magic Bullet free plug-in is doing and this isn't a service we provideÖ

So the bottom line is that you either need a correct conversion 3D LUT (which is not just three curves but instead a cube) to work with Log and the new Technicolor style like the REC709 to Cineon 6500K (HD) is, assuming that you use an averagely calibrated HD monitor or if you want a professional accuracy you have to use the professional tools like CineSpace or TrueLight and others to calibrate and get all the LUTs needed along with the appropriate monitors. Its understood that by subscribing to our consulting services you get all that with a fraction of the cost.

As for After Effects the most current version CS5 (10.0.1) supports the Autodesk formats of *.3dl that we can also provide as Generic LUT's or Conversion LUT's.
    Evangelos Achillopoulos
    Elec. Engineer
    DIT, DI supervisor
    MotionFX, Athens, Greece
    www.motionfx.gr

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dxl View Post
    i'm not too sure about this new color profile
    i can match my the normal superflat and the Technicolor perfectly with just luma curve and procamp in premier pro cs5
    the Technicolor seem to raise the shadow a bit more
    the color satiation seems to be -2.5 instead of normal super flat -2
    the contrast seems to be -5 (higher than you can get on camera) instead of -4 on the normal super flat
    doesn't produce sharper image in my test
    There is a big difference between what you do and what the style does... The style has as source the internal uncompressed image and it allocates it to the log Cineon color space, that technique can give up to two stops more DR in the resulted images when combined with appropriate 3D LUT's. What you do is taking the already trashed image by the compression and try to mimic the "look" of it to match the Technicolor Style.
    Evangelos Achillopoulos
    Elec. Engineer
    DIT, DI supervisor
    MotionFX, Athens, Greece
    www.motionfx.gr

8. Collapse Details
    Did a quick test. I didn't show the original video. I just showed the corrected clips of the new marvel cine, superflat and technicolor. I colored with finesse. Watch in hd for best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtZbsPSr54

9. Collapse Details
    I don't have ML on my 550D, but I installed the CineStyle profile ok.

Unfortunately, although it shows up in the stils menue, when I switch to movie mode, user def 3 (Where I installed it) just shows "Standard".

Trying to connect to Utilities with the camera in Movie mode just results in the Register Picture Style option being greyed out.

Help!!!

Dave

10. Collapse Details
    I'm trying to get Canon EOS utility on mine but it requires the disk which I can not find. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have windows 7. Thanks in advanced

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast