Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Still photo Live View LCD drastically underexposed. WHY????
    I mostly just use my Canon 60d to shoot video.

However, I do like to also shoot stills. Lately, I've been using a Zeiss ZF 50mm f 1.4 Nikon mount. When using Manual lenses, you pretty much have to use the LCD screen with the 5x-10x magnification to get accurate focus.

I noticed that when in VIDEO mode, the exposure appears exactly how it is, which is really nice.

However, when taking STILL photos and using the Live View, the LCD exposure is drastically under by about 3 to 4 stops. The histogram and the light meter is very off when using the Live View for Still photos.

I always shoot in M (Manual) mode.

How can you make the Live View for still photos not have this drastic under exposure problem?

I know I could just shoot stills in the video mode and get the accurate exposure / Histogram reading on the LCD. However, on the 60d, when taking stills in video mode it uses a 16;9 instead of the traditional 3:2 for stills.

So frustrating. I just want the Stills mode Live View LCD to not be underexposed, and have an accurate exposure like the LCD in Video Mode.
    Last edited by gene_can_sing; 04-25-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html

2. Collapse Details
    could be shutter. i think live view does certain calculations, and i think shutter speed is included. could be your photo mode has a really fast shutter set.

3. Collapse Details
    I just noticed that this seems like a bug / glitch with non-Canon, manual lenses. I popped on a Canon 100mm L Macro, and did not run into this Live View Exposure problem. It worked as it should. However, with my Zeiss ZFs using an adapter, the Live View is drastically underexposed.

Strange... because in Video mode, the Zeiss exposure is correct and perfect on the LCD screen, just not in the Still Live View mode.

Does anyone know if there is a 60D firmware update that addresses this problem?

Like I said, I would just use the video mode for still photos, but they crop at 16;9 and not 3:2.

I know on the 7D, in video mode, still photos are still in the 3:2 crop, but NOT on the 60d.
    -------

4. Collapse Details
    it's a "virtual aperture" thing

head over here
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-lenses-SOLVED
    and try both my method, and a1ex's, which which is easier but doesn't seem to work on my camera

5. Collapse Details
    gene can: i have the same problem with my super takumar manual lenses on the 60d. everything works in video mode but is underexposed when shooting stills! good to see you opening a topic about this. i'll try the link of normanbates now!

6. Collapse Details
    Try to change the aperture setting back and forth a few times (on 550D it solves this issue).

7. Collapse Details
    Quick question Norman, and I would try it but my camera is not near by.

The Zeiss lens is an f 1.4 and my fastest Canon lens is an f 2.8 (2 stops slower). Does that mean I need a f 1.4 Canon lens to make your trick work and reset the camera?
    -------

8. Collapse Details
    I just tested it, and Norman's solution does work. The only problem is, if the vintage / non-canon lens is a f 1.4, you need an f 1.4 Canon lens to set the aperture. The fastest Canon lens I have is an f 2.8, so when I put on the Zeiss at f 1.4, it's still 2 stops off on the LCD screen. Bummer....
    -------

9. Collapse Details
    Real Bummer! I wonder if Canon could fix this behaviour with a firmware update.
    So far we know this bug exists on the 550 and the 60D... What about the 7D and 5D Mk II ?

10. Collapse Details
    I haven't had that problem (my fastest modern lens is a f/1.8, my fastest vintage is f/1.8), but I suspected it could be a problem

it definitely is something that could be solved by a firmware update

or by a1ex's method: did you try it?

apart from that, with f/1.4 and f/2.8 it's easy to use ISO to counter this problem: get your ISO two stops higher to set exposure, then put it at the right level to take the picture; pain in the ass and I know I would take lots of pictures with wrong exposure, but it's a solution

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast