Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mark I would think that B&H would sent it to Sony, or give me an address to sent it to. But it's their protection plan that I paid 500.00 for, so I need to talk to them first - only I have to wait 10 days due to a very long religious Holiday.

Duke I'm interested! I have 2 cameras, so I want to protect the one i won (not covered by anything!) as best I can. Sending PM.
    Work Examples - Vimeo - Fun Video - My Music
    Sony EX1(Pair) :: FCStudio3 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper

2. Collapse Details
    Chad, I had a similar thing happen filming a high school band concert. I happened to
    be standing with my back to the camera when someone hit the tripod leg, I managed
    to turn around and catch the whole thing before it hit the concrete floor. I still
    wake up in a cold sweat thinking about that. Anyway I have a small machine shop
    and might be able to help if you need it.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Scott I'll keep that in mind. For now I'll wait and see what B&H says after they get back from Passover.
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper

4. Collapse Details
    Hey Chad, Curtis at JuiceDesigns.com makes a version for each the EX1 and the EX1R. I have the Ex1R version on my camera. After seeing several users with destroyed mounts, it was a no brainer for me! Bolt it and forget about it... Good luck and lets us know your resolution with B&H and Sony.
    Sony EX1R, Sony FX1, Brevis MP.1, Sony Vegas Pro 10, Lightwave 3D v9
    TonyNewmanDesign.com ... Newman CineGear

5. Collapse Details
    Duke M. Sold me his JuiceDesigns.com baseplate for 50.00. So I'm set for one camera. I have not put it on yet. And I got this awesome 500.00 protection plan from B&H that covers anything - user error, drops, kicks, submerging in water - and covers shipping. So I sent it off a few days ago to a company in NY. B&H just refers you to them as they don't handle this stuff. I really hope they can't fix it, because then they have to get you an EX1R!!! I did complain in a letter I left in the box, "My EX1 is also having issues with "far red" contamination. It can't seem to block out infrared light from lights and the sun. It makes synthetic black fabric look brown. Please fix that too." Ha ha. I figured I'd give it a shot!

6. Collapse Details
    Oh Chad....you little scamp! ;)
    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

7. Collapse Details
    Just wanted to give an update about the damage to my EX1 that happened from the baseplate failure.

Refresher: The camera was on the tripod after shooting in a dark theater, then accidentally kicked, tripod hit the seat, baseplate broke, and camera hit the cement. It didn't appear that there was damage at the moment, but upon inspection at home I noticed that a small metal plate on the bottom of the camera broke. It was where you attach a tripod plate. Seemingly a small fix. Luckily I paid 500.00 to B&H Photo for a 3 year, "anything goes" full protection plan, meaning I could slam the camera down and jump on it over and over, then send it in for free repair or replacement. So I did that. The company I sent it to said it would take about 15 days turn around time (about a month and a half ago). Well, they held it for longer than that, then sent it off to Sony because they couldn't fix the problem. Weeks later, today, I got a small heart attack when Sony sent me and estimate to approve, but upon calling the warrantee company they said to disregard it and they will handle it. So yay! No bill for Chad! But incredibly the bill for the repair is $2,708.19! Can you believe that? That's 5 hrs labor @ 135.00 per hr, one "front frame" at 258.00, one new lens for 1,523.47, and one new mic holder assembly for 44.99. Mostly due to a cheap out on the baseplate by Sony. Honestly I was hoping they couldn't fix it, which would mean they have to get me a new camera!

I am so glad that I bought that protection plan. In most cases I don't do that, but with the 6,100.00 camera I did. Saved me 2,200.00! So I'm just sharing this story with you in case you were interested, and as a warning that with video equipment like cameras, it's worth the extra money to protect your stuff. I could not pay that price, so I would be out of a camera and out of jobs I need that camera for. Oddly nothing seemed wrong with the lens or the mic holder...

8. Collapse Details
    Gan Eden Australia
    Very good to hear it worked out in the end. Some people are just plain clumsy and don't use their eyes to avoid toppling a $7k camcorder. lol

Anybody got anymore of those plates they like to sell me for my new EX1?

9. Collapse Details
    the first thing i bought for my ex1r last week was olofs base plate for the bottom of the camera. its very solid . i also bought the sony tripod plate mount and it snaps on/off my tripod plate perfectly.olof makes great stuff. would
    absolutely recommend his stuff. just ordered a hoodloupe from him.
    check his gear out at westsideav.com

10. Collapse Details
    Was the lens assembly actually damaged? If just the base plate broke, why a new lens? That seems like an exhorbitant bill.
    Best regards,
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    www.MWHDVideo.com HD Video Productions
    www.ampexperts.com
    www.BassPig.com 16,500 Watts of Driving Surround Sound!
    My Blog (New)
    -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast