1. Collapse Details
    HD-SDI vs SD-SDI
    I recently purchased a smallHD DP6 w/ the HD-SDI output for my HPX170. I currently have it hooked up through a component signal. I've read from many sources, here and abroad, that component does not give a better signal when compared to SDI. My main concern came from looking to purchase a HD-SDI cable. Often I cannot find a difference between SDI and HD-SDI listed.

A forum post I read over on creative cow said that HD-SDI is characterized by having a resistance of 75 ohm whereas SDI is 50 ohm. So, if this is true, I would need a BNC to BNC SDI cable rated at 75 ohm? Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

EDIT: I just realized I labeled my thread "HD-SDI vs Component." I must not have been paying attention, I was intending the thread to discuss HD-SDI vs SDI

2. Collapse Details
    HD-SDI and plain SDI use the same 75-ohm cables, usually made out of RG-59 or similar coaxial cable, and terminated with BNC connectors. One of the major design goals of the interface was to allow studios and postproduction houses to repurpose their not insignificant investment in 75-ohm video cabling to handle uncompressed digital signals as they upgraded vsrious rooms and components to digital and HD. After all, in most places, you're going to have a roughly similar number of digital signals running along paths similar to the existing analog video wiring which was already purchased, cut to length and installed at high expense. Although there are fiber optic variants of SDI/HD-SDI as well, they are mainly used for new installations and long distances and are not seen that frequently in most environments.

- Greg

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Greg, for that wonderful explanation! Exactly what I needed to know

4. Collapse Details
    And; with a short cable running between a camera and an on-camera monitor; you can get by with almost any cable.

Not that you'd want to; but you could probably use a cheap RCA cable with a pair of BNC-RCA adapters.
    Any BNC "Video" cable will work in this application.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com