Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    oh for sure I will share!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by B3Guy View Post
    Hey, guys! I'm new here on the forum, and I just got a brand new GH2. I'm thinking that for the type of shooting I will be doing, powering off of Tamiya connector R/C batteries would be ideal from a size and weight standpoint. (also, I already have a charger.) What is the recommended setup for this? 8.4v battery, DCC8? What about adding something like this to make battery level monitoring possible?

http://www.alphasportrc.com/index.ph...68&language=en
    8.4 is borderline in my opinion. If voltage drops to 8.37V you will get the mesages that the battery cannot be used on the camera. Anything from 9v to 10v is better and will last longer. I connected 8 NiMH cells in series that produces 10.6V without load. It drops to 10.1 when connected to GH2 with 100-300 lens attached. It drops to 9.7 for a few seconds after firing the built-in flash. I use the following voltmeter with that battery pack:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4-5V-30V-Blue-Sm...item27ba712d6a

Good luck.

3. Collapse Details
    good to know. I thought 10v was pushing it, no?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by B3Guy View Post
    good to know. I thought 10v was pushing it, no?
    The output of the power adapter for GH1 is stated as 9.3V. I have no doubts that the power circuitry in GH2 is the same as in GH1.
    It does not make sense to make it different. Normally such circuits are designed to at least 5% (but usually 10) + or - tolerances.
    The fact that at 8.37V the camera refuses to work clearly proves that 8.4V is not the nominal value despite the fact that Panasonic's own adapter produces the output close to it.
    Assuming 5% tolerances at 9.3V nominal voltage gives us 9.765 safe upper limit. With 10% tolerance we get a value of 10.23V.
    With this in mind I will continue to use my 8-cell battery pack. For the faint of heart I would say "stay below 10V if possible:.
    Good luck.

5. Collapse Details
    What about using a SMPS with an 8.4v batt, to bump things up between 9 and 10?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by keylight View Post
    I use an 8.4v like you see in the very first post. Timed out at 8 hours.
    What was the capacity of the battery? I don't think you have told us. Is it 4500 mAh, similar to the one used in the video you linked to?

7. Collapse Details
    Messing with this expensive camera is too risky unless you have a wrecked GH2 to experiment with! When you see a battery with four terminals you can expect smart (logical) circuitry to be involved, not just charging circuitry, volts, and amp hours. Maybe some Panasonic tech will tell us how this works - but powering this camera involves more than basic electronics. I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I haven't even seen any reference to VA - possibly required by the camera during special functions or at startup. If someone does manage to solder something together that works I'm scared it might be something pretty brutal - only appearing to work because it has somehow bypassed the camera's sophisticated protective circuitry routines! I'd say the best power solution will indeed come to us via China. Until then, let's all take beautiful pictures and not look this gift horse in the mouth.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Hapsad View Post
    but powering this camera involves more than basic electronics.
    No it doesn't, plenty of people are running this stuff, some for a long time. The extra pins on official batteries are only there to authenticate the battery is genuine, an attempt by Panny to lock our 3rd party batteries.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by g.l View Post
    The extra pins on official batteries are only there to authenticate the battery is genuine, an attempt by Panny to lock our 3rd party batteries.
    Hi g.I,
    Where did you source the information about the extra pins?
    Last edited by Roberto Hapsad; 05-21-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: syntax

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Hapsad View Post
    Hi g.I,
    Where did you source the information about the extra pins?
    Well known fact, bourne out by many experiments and those of us using our DIY DCC8 adapters with only two pins. I think 3rd party battery sellers have now cracked the protection scheme.

EDIT: from a quick (non-comprehensive) Google, it seems the pins may also be used to report the battery level, as 3rd party batteries apparently don't. Doesn't affect powering though.

EDIT2: reading a bit more, those 3rd party batts just pretend to be DC (that's why no battery level is shown), so they probably just output more voltage on the 2 power pins.
    Last edited by g.l; 05-22-2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: new info

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast