Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Redrock wireless follow focus?
    Any updates at NAB? Is this ever coming to market?

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, I really don't understand why we haven't seen this yet, and why no one has bothered to ask this, the obvious question to them. Does the journalistic tradition actually exist on any of these sites "reporting" on NAB, or have we turned completely into promo-land?

In the trade this is known as "lobbing softballs" and frankly I think things have gotten a little too cosy between interviewer's and their subjects in this business lately.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-13-2011 at 09:24 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    ......how about the the V3 FF??? actually has there been any Redrock reporting at NAB?

4. Collapse Details
    I have yet to receive a single question from the web vie my site or e-mail to ask Redrock Micro. With 1500 vendors, I have to prioritized based on interest.

Also; NAB Show is a trade show. It's about doing business. Companies are present to promote their stuff. And when interviewed; they will respond as such. Journalists don't come to NAB to grill companies, as that helps no one.

That said; It's my understanding that Red Rock is continuing to work on their remote follow focus unit. I don't know what date they are currently aiming for.
    The tone of this thread makes it seem like Redrock never meets their promises; in which case any time-line I'd ask them would be futile, wouldn't it?

When I report news - something I happen to do for a living - I concentrate on facts. Which are 2 things: I can report what I observe "I saw this, I tried this" and what I'm told "Company X said this", "company Y is announcing that". I'm not going to editorialize my opinions into the reporting "They say this; but I think they will do that". It serves no one; and that's not how news is reported.

As I mentioned; I'll be happy to relay specific questions I receive to vendors as I get a chance to visit them; and then report what I am told.
    The other option is of course for you to contact the manufacturer in person and ask the question. They all have e-mail addresses & phone numbers.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

5. Collapse Details
    They were showing the remote follow focus as a feature at their booth. It's not something I am interested in, so I didn't ask about it, but I watched Brian give a demo to a crowd of onlookers. Didn't seem to be any different from the videos I had seen in the past, and I did not hear them mention a release date. But again, I wasn't really listening (I was trying to figure out how to fix my redrock shoulder mount!).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    I have yet to receive a single question from the web vie my site or e-mail to ask Redrock Micro. With 1500 vendors, I have to prioritized based on interest.

Also; NAB Show is a trade show. It's about doing business. Companies are present to promote their stuff. And when interviewed; they will respond as such. Journalists don't come to NAB to grill companies, as that helps no one.

That said; It's my understanding that Red Rock is continuing to work on their remote follow focus unit. I don't know what date they are currently aiming for.
    The tone of this thread makes it seem like Redrock never meets their promises; in which case any time-line I'd ask them would be futile, wouldn't it?

When I report news - something I happen to do for a living - I concentrate on facts. Which are 2 things: I can report what I observe "I saw this, I tried this" and what I'm told "Company X said this", "company Y is announcing that". I'm not going to editorialize my opinions into the reporting "They say this; but I think they will do that". It serves no one; and that's not how news is reported.

As I mentioned; I'll be happy to relay specific questions I receive to vendors as I get a chance to visit them; and then report what I am told.
    The other option is of course for you to contact the manufacturer in person and ask the question. They all have e-mail addresses & phone numbers.

- Mikko

Ok. so if it's not about journalism, then what's it about - promotion?

This is where I think we may differ in viewpoint. I happen to believe that it would be healthy if people got a little bit tougher and critical when conducting these interviews. It represents integrity and asking what a lot of people really want to know. Otherwise, the interviewer become merely the mouthpiece for their promotional material. And for what ? For free ?

I have now seen at least 5 different sites, interviewing exactly the same exhibitors at NAB, and they are all saying exactly the same thing. It would be good to push that envelope a little bit. Otherwise what distinguishes this coverage and these websites from each other? It's as if everyone is participating in an exactly scripted dance and it really serves only the manufacturer, not the web sites, forums or members. Or am I wrong about that, does it actually serve the websites in some way which we might not know about?

I think every one of these companies needs to be prodded a little bit, especially the big ones. I am not saying being aggressive or negative, just a little tougher. Remember these companies need this kind of "reporting" just as much the sites want access to them.

For instance, I would ask Jan, "Hey, great new cameras, but why, after looking around NAB this year and last, with so much demand for larger sensors, and after even Barry Green has pointed out that there is so much potential in this, why has Panasonic still decided not to produce a camera in S35? The market is clearly clamoring for it. What's behind the decision to go no larger than micro 4/3's?"

In this context I would most definitely ask Redrock, "Hey Brian, you won the Black Diamond award for this remote last year at NAB. How come you still haven't come out with it yet? What's going on?"

Or, ask Zacuto, "Hey, with all the new electronic viewfinder's coming out, and your reputation for quality and being ahead of the curve, why doesn't your viewfinder have SDI output on it, unlike some others, only HDMI ?"

or how about saying, to RED, "You are promoting something called Dragon, which you refuse to say anything about at the same time, don't you worry that this might actually alienate customers more than tickle their interest, given the delays recently?" or "Hey, you say there are more delays because of the situation in Japan, but aren't you an American based company? What is your relationship to Japan?".

As I said before, I think it would be good and healthy to be a little more challenging, you never know, somehow someone might actually say something meaningful and unexpected, otherwise it's just as you say, business as usual.

PS> By the way I like Brian, I own a ton of Redrock, I really respect his graciousness and what he has managed to build. Having done interviews before with him, I also happen to know that he respects constructive criticism and his company has benefited from it.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-14-2011 at 06:57 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    If you have those questions to ask; then ask them!

Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    I have yet to receive a single question from the web vie my site or e-mail to ask Redrock Micro.
    [...]
    - Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

8. Collapse Details
    I too would love to see a street date on the Red Rock Micro Wireless FF unit.
    Erik Olson

9. Collapse Details
    Looks like an awesome unit so I wish I had a use for it. When doing crane work I usually shoot wide and away so there's no need to pull focus. Now the FF V3... THAT I can't wait for as well as their new EVF.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

10. Collapse Details
    I spoke directly to the guys at the booth. They said shipping in June - with another companies motor (forget which one exact) - then the red rock motor shortly after. I saw the product demo and it was tight, awesome, responsive and worth the wait.

Last year it was a very new concept - its basically done now - and the price point is unfreaking believable
    SLM Production Group
    http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast