Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Matte Box and Follow Focus on HMC80
    I'm new to this forum and looking forward to reading and perhaps contributing what I can. Pardon me if this question was already asked and answered but I did a search and could not find anything on the topic so here's my question: Has anyone successfully added a matte box and/or follow focus to an HMC80? If so could you provide the specifics such as brand, model, etc? For some background: The HMC80, unlike the HMC40, has a zoom-rocker/hand-grip at the very front of the lens and is extremely close to the lens: 3/4" clearance to the side and approx 3/4" extending out from the face of the lens with the hood removed. The very close proximity of the hand-grip seems to present some difficulty to attaching a matte box. I found an extension that screws into the 43mm filter thread and extends the lens path by about 1.6 inches which would clear the hand-grip and make adding a matte box somewhat easier. But I'd like to know if anyone else has had success with this for the HMC80. Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    I guess everyone's as stumped as I was Pete ;)
    www.xseeddesign.com
    www.cinebasics.com
    www.vimeo.com/xseeddesign
    Canon Mark III, Canon T4I, Rokinon Cine 14, 24, 35, 85mm, 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8l, 24-105mm 2.8l

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Oaken, how are you? Yes, that appears to be the case... however, I will be updating this with a solution soon.

4. Collapse Details
    Just joined your group and bought a HMC80 recently. I'm hoping CinemaPete can come up with a work around. Thankful to have found this group. Anyone apply for the rebate and get it yet?

5. Collapse Details
    I made my own follow focus. And while it's not perfect, I can get smoother focus/zoom shots.

6. Collapse Details
    Under no circumstances would I try to use a physical follow focus with an HMC80, when you could use an electronic one like the FoXi or Manfrotto instead.

7. Collapse Details
    I've been using this for a year now and is very sensitive, and precise
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ontroller.html
    You can mark the focus points on the white wheel, but more exact watch the the numbers on the screen

lanc.jpg
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 06-30-2011 at 08:00 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the suggestion Felipe:
    Panasonic offered two accessories when it had its special rebate that ended March 31st of this year: one of them was the ROCK-DVX-ZFI (http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...l=ROCK-DVX-ZFI) which is a VariZoom that looks exactly like the one you show. However, I'm still waiting for the accessory to arrive.

As for a matte-box, seems like the hand grip is a major impediment because it's quite close to the lens and there's almost no clearance for attaching. I'm still looking around for a matte-box (with or without rails) that will work and will report back here when I find one.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Barry: Yes I agree that an electronic is better in this case. I'm awaiting my selection of one of the "free" accessories that was part of the rebate for the HMC80 and it is a ROCK DVX-ZF1 (VariZoom). Still waiting for it.

10. Collapse Details
    I did, but it's 102 days since USPS tracking showed they received 3/18 but still waiting. When I call they give me a date that they logged it in which is three weaks later than the date they received it , they tell me it's approved but items are not in stock. So far a very negative experience with Panasonic rebate which will defintely have an effect on my future purchases. I think they are the slowest I have ever dealt with and when doing a rebate purchase with Panasonic in the future if it's not instant rebate I will make my purchase decision based on no rebate. Having said that it's only fair to say that I am very pleased with the quality of the camera and features for it's price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast