Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by barry_green View Post
    keeping the pl mount super16. The rest can go.
    Arri SRIII?

2. Collapse Details
    Thank you, Barry!

I'm surprised that the F3 (CMOS) beat the F35 (CCD). CMOS is really coming along. If only it had global shutter (or I should say, if only more camera models used global-shutter CMOS, since it's already out there, just not in any from Canon, Panasonic, or Sony).

I'd love to see the Blu-ray.

3. Collapse Details
    The Alexa is CMOS but it had incredibly mild skew. Looked extremely like film or CCD. They can do it but it is expensive.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AGMedia View Post
    The point here is NOT that Mr. Green is wrong or Mr. LaForet is right -- rather -- that there's room for differing conclusions.

But surely Barry is more impartial - Vincent Laforette is affectionately known as the guy who kick started the whole DSLR revolution with his Reverie vid. You would think that as he gives talks to many people about the merits of DSLR cinematography across the world he has a vested interest in them being portrayed in a positive light a little more than others. Not saying he is overly biased and I do love his work ........... but in a way ...........he kind of is.

5. Collapse Details
    Is anyone EVER really impartial though? People like certain things that are hard to separate out from a person. All you can try and do is find people who review things that have the same subjective feelings/needs that you have. I can personally say that me and Barry have agreed on things and disagreed on other things on a regular basis. I just say this to point out, getting second, third, forth opinions is ALWAYS good, but never a really good substitution for your own hands on opinion.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

6. Collapse Details
    Agreed - I did say MORE impartial to be fair. Food for thought - if the majority of the experienced audience laughed at the DSLR stuff - that's a few more than four opinions......... Gotta get the blu ray I suppose to judge for one's self as you advise.

7. Collapse Details
    Haha True! But yeah, I want the BluRay as well.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Keeping the PL mount super16. The rest can go.
    I thought you were going to mention one of the digital cameras as the "movie camera" to keep because of your statement, "I love love love film, but the writing is on the wall and the torch has been passed".

If I may ask, which "movie cameras" are you getting rid of then?

EDIT: Just realized, you're probably referring to 5 "film" cameras, and that you're only going to keep one. That makes sense.
    Last edited by Phil H.; 04-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Scarlet-X #1485 - Available for rent/hire in the San Francisco Bay Area, and beyond. Have passport. Will travel.
    www.philliphudson.com

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the report, Barry. It's a shame that they didn't include the GH2 in the mix.

Very nice to hear that the F3 did well. It seems like it could be quite the cinema camera in the right hands.

10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Thanks for the report, Barry. It's a shame that they didn't include the GH2 in the mix.

Very nice to hear that the F3 did well. It seems like it could be quite the cinema camera in the right hands.
    Agree on your GH2 point. A real big shame that. But what's done is done. Sigh.

Also agree about the F3. Especially with an 10-bit, high datarate external recorder (so many good ones to choose from now!) the F3 will be a killer!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast