Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxarwing42 View Post
    I believe the Red One was included, but not the Epic.
    True. They tried very hard to get an epic but were unable to, so they used what they could get: a red one with the mx sensor.

2. Collapse Details
    And yeah, I have five movie cameras now. Four will be up for sale when I get home. I love love love film, but the writing is on the wall and the torch has been passed.
    I wonder if it's demise will come about quite quickly. I've been skeptical until recently, that we'll see it's demise in the next couple of years, but I do think it's possible.

3. Collapse Details
    It's too bad the FS100 wasn't available either, I've been really curious as to how the image quality performs between the F3 and the AF100. And SERIOUSLY thank you for doing the rolling shutter film test. My contact for doing that hasn't been able to free up the resources for me to do that test, but if you are satisfied with what you saw, then I'll take your word on it. I think I want to get the Bluray though, as I'd really like to see these differences. I'd like to share with the local film people so they can actually see the quality difference people like me are trying to explain.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The DSLR group was consistently at the bottom of the pack and people actually broke into laughter when the DSLR shots came up.

Vincent Laforet sat through the exact same documentary and said on Teradek.tv ...

"I'm still not a fan, unfortunately, of the AF-100 at all and these tests confirmed a lot of what I've seen but in a more scientific way...

"The Canons held their own..."

("QA with Vincent Laforet - Day 2" -- http://teradek.tv/)

Everyone seems to agree the Alexa and the F3 were impressive.

The point here is NOT that Mr. Green is wrong or Mr. LaForet is right -- rather -- that there's room for differing conclusions.

Regarding Canon DSLRs on the big screen -- it's already been demonstrated they can work well on a large screen -- content by multiple artists displayed on multiple projection formats has been consistently well received.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    And yeah, I have five movie cameras now. Four will be up for sale when I get home. I love love love film, but the writing is on the wall and the torch has been passed.
    That's interesting Barry. Would you mind sharing which of the 5 you're keeping as a "movie camera" and why? Thanks.
    Scarlet-X #1485 - Available for rent/hire in the San Francisco Bay Area, and beyond. Have passport. Will travel.
    www.philliphudson.com

6. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Alexa has really been winning people over since it's release. I'm still an MX shooter but can't wait to play with Alexa a little more. Thanks for the report, Barry!

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the post Barry and great summary/information.

8. Collapse Details
    Individual opinions will vary. The test purposely avoided making conclusions or declaring a "winner". They leave that up to you. Get the blu ray and evaluate it for yourself. I know what I saw and how I felt about it. The af100 fell down in the chroma clipping but held it's own everywhere else. The canons fell down on the sharpness test but held up well in dynamic range.

People have a tendency to see what they want and that will happen here too, which is why they leave the evaluation up to the individual. I am quite comfortable with what I posted and I have talked to many who were there.

If anyone is confused about the results I highly recommend getting the blu ray and viewing the actual results and forming your own opinion.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil H. View Post
    That's interesting Barry. Would you mind sharing which of the 5 you're keeping as a "movie camera" and why? Thanks.
    Keeping the PL mount super16. The rest can go.

10. Collapse Details
    Black Flag Member Melvin Harris's Avatar
    Did anyone say when is the Bluray available for purchase, or did I miss it in the thread?
    You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
    -Harlan Ellison
    REASON 2.5-6.0/RECYCLE 2.1/PRO TOOLS 10/DAVINCI RESOLVE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast