Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Adobe changes to new product cycle and announces CS version 5.5
    SAN JOSE, Calif., — April 11, 2011 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the new Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 product line (see separate releases), enabling designers and developers to target popular and emerging smartphone and tablet platforms, as the revolution in mobile communications fundamentally changes the way content is distributed and consumed. Substantive advances to HTML5, Flash authoring, digital publishing and video tools as well as new capabilities that kick-start the integration of tablets into creative workflows, anchor the new Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 product family.
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...eSuite5.5.html

Adobe News Room: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/

Key new features of CS 5.5 Production Premium listed here: http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...nce%2Bcs5.html

Looks like there's some improved workflow tools for dual-system audio, audio editing, and native support for RED.

And apparently you don't have to buy it!
    Today also sees Adobe debut an affordable and flexible subscription-based pricing plan, attractive to customers that want to get current and stay current on Creative Suite products, have project-based needs, or try the software for the first time. New Subscription Editions ensure customers with active subscriptions are always working with the most up-to-date versions of the software, without the upfront cost of full pricing. Now customers can use Adobe Production Premium CS5.5 for as little as US$85 per month.
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...onPremium.html

Full text of the CS 5.5 Production Premium press release is in the article in the DVXuser News area here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/content.ph...CS-version-5.5

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Ugh. Really? Adobe? Really?

No thanks.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah....I have never ever seen them charge for a dot release, that is kind of ridiculous.......
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

4. Collapse Details
    pffffffffffft yeah right

5. Collapse Details
    They have charged for dot releases many times. The Design and Web suites have this pretty much every time a new version of Acrobat comes out.

Also, there was Premiere 6.5, After Effects 6.5, Premiere PRO 1.5 (when they added HD support, among other things). The Production CS suites, of course, have not had a dot release like the web/design suites have, so we've had CS2/CS3/CS4 without a paid upgrade.

That being said, I'm not sure there's enough in the new package for me personally to warrant a paid upgrade. The Audition swapout for Soundbooth and the new audio workflows there and with multiple audio sources will be nice, but I'm not sure I can't wait another 12 months when the release CS6.

If it was a $199 upgrade for CS5 owners, I'd do it. If it was a $299 upgrade, I'd really have to consider it heavily (mainly for Audition). But at $399, I'm not in a big hurry.

The subscription plan is a great idea. I can think of lots of times I'd want to bring on another/multiple editors who normally work in Final Cut or Avid, and this is perfect for that. If it was $49 a month with 1-year commitments, I'd really consider doing it myself. But with a predictably $400-$700 upgrade each year, it doesn't make sense mathematically.

At any rate, I think this all moves in the right direction, just not exactly the right pricing. If having prices go up a bit helps to ensure constant development and support of the Adobe apps, well...isn't that kind of what we all want? Ask a current Final Cut Studio if they'd be willing to pay for an upgrade opportunity once a year, and I bet right now it looks pretty appealing.

6. Collapse Details
    I only just did my CS4 to CS5 upgrade within the past 6 months, accordingly I won't consider another paid upgrade for (at least) another 6 months . . .
    Probably a no brainer for some -- a few of 'em are nice features but I'm "out" for now, although I do agree with scapsinger . . . I'd do it for $199.

P.S I already have Audition . . . went through that exercise a few versions back.

Just goes to show though, for some . . . if they put $5 (or more) per gallon on the pump we'd pay it.
    Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

7. Collapse Details
    Actually, I've found that upgrading on an every other release seems to work best for me. I went from CS3 to CS5. And unless CS6 has something absolutely earth shattering in it (it won't) I'll wait to CS7 (at least) to do an upgrade. Adding .5 releases and a subscription model won't get me to buy anything.

Now customers can use Adobe Production Premium CS5.5 for as little as US$85 per month.
    Now compare the pricing schemes:
    - CS3 releases on 4/20/2007 for $599 upgrade
    - CS4 releases on 8/23/2008 for $599 upgrade (14 months later)
    - CS5 releases on 4/10/2010 for $599 upgrade (18 months later)
    - CS5.5 releases on ??/??/2011 for $1020/year (12-14/15/16? months later)

Wow. What a deal. Can I please have 2? Of course if you're like me and skip a version, then the upgrade from CS3 to CS5 cost you $599, instead of $2720 (which is what it would have cost under a subscription model).

So, how will the model actually work? Will they still offer full version number entry and upgrade points? Probably yes on entry points, no on upgrade points. I could picture them making people pay to upgrade based on the following rate:

Number of months since your version released X monthly subscription rate = your price to upgrade. And once the upgrade price is higher than the full price, you'll just pay the full price.

SO kiss those upgrade prices goodbye.....

Anyone know of a Gimp like alternative to After Effects? Don't need it today, but tomorrow?
    Last edited by keylight; 04-11-2011 at 09:16 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    The upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5 is $399. Not sure I'm down with spending 2/3's the price of a full release upgrade for a .5 upgrade a year later.

9. Collapse Details
    I've only got AE, so the thought of paying $179 to get the Warp Stabilizer when I've already got the capabilities in Syntheyes is a bit hard to swallow. The camera blur looks nice, but hard to justify that unless it's on par with some of those third party lens blur plugins.

10. Collapse Details
    The warp stabilizer has to be seen to believed.

I saw a prerelease running on a Mac Book Pro and it was ridiculous.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast