Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    Here are some questions I posed to Sound Devices and the answers they emailed me. Bottom line: CONTACT THEM AT support@sounddevices.com TO LET THEM KNOW YOU WANT PROFESSIONAL MONITOR CALIBRATION TOOLS IN THE PIX 240!! There's a huge difference between a recorder that is also a reliable monitor and a recorder that has a monitor but is worthless for accurately judging the picture. Who wants to attach two monitors to their camera to get one accurate image?

Question #1: My primary inquiry is what options will the LCD have for calibration? Since the 240 will be replacing other recorders AND an onboard monitor, it's critical that the 240 have professional adjustments to allow for proper calibration, such as brightness, contrast, color, B&W, and blue-only. Will you please tell me which of these (or other) calibration and image monitoring features the 240 will have?
    Answer: Upon initial release, these features will not be a part of what the PIX does. These are all very good feature suggestions and may be considered for implementation in a future firmware release. Until then, you will have to stick with your current workflow and measurement tools.

Question #2: I read a (perhaps) rumor that the PIX 240 would have peaking. Calibration options aside, are there any features like that to assist in focusing (peaking, one-to-one pixel option, etc.) or seeing IRE levels (e.g. false colors or the like)?
    Answer: These are just rumors. However, the PIX is a firmware driven device so the possibilities for future features are vast. We are fully aware that these features are desired and development will have to evaluate these possibilities for implementation. The best thing to do is to keep us informed on what you would like to see. We do a good job at listening to our user base and adapting to their growing needs.

Question #3: Will the PIX 240 record variable frame rates from cameras in 720 or 1080?
    Answer: The PIX will record at the rate of the HDMI or HD-SDI input or up/down scale to a range of other supported frame rates. No off-time recording will be available. This could be considered in a future release.

Question #4: With two batteries mounted on the 240, what is the average expected battery life?
    Answer: It's very difficult to pinpoint a run time. This will depend on codec used, audio inputs, record time and quite literally everything else. On the lightest of current draw, you could expect over 4 or 5 hours with the standard batteries. However, with the most extreme draw you could possible dip down to a half hour or so. This is why the feature that allows the PIX to be powered off of a camera's battery is so important. You can use the NP type batteries with our XL-NPH cup as well. There are many different powering options for the many different projects and power requirements.

Question #5: I've noticed that with the Ki Pro Mini, the recorded image is slightly darker than the image recorded in-camera (Panasonic AF100), by about 1/2 an f-stop. Has any variation between in-camera image and PIX-recorded image been noted?
    Answer: Because of the codec and different compression types used, the videos recorded on the PIX will not be precisely identical to the copy recorded on any camera. The higher the data rate however, the less artifacts will be introduced. This is typical with any compression method. The higher the data rate, the closer it will be to the original. As far as having some bug that decreases the color or brightness of the videos, we do not have such problems.

Question #5: I assume there is a headphone jack, but I couldn't find one in the photos, so to be sure, is there a headphone jack?
    Answer: There is a 3.5mm HP jack on the bottom left side of the PIX.

Kevin McKeever | Director of Photography and Editor | www.image-generation.com
    Sony FS7, Canon L lenses, full lighting and audio packages

2. Collapse Details
    Got a chance to see the PIX 240 in person at AES last weekend. The monitor is GORGEOUS. Too much money for me though and there's no audio-only mode.
    Freelance Camera Operator/Editor/Photographer/Audio Dude

Sony EX1 | Nikon D300 | Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 Wireless Kit | Home Recording Studio

3. Collapse Details
    Gorgeous is nice, but I need it to be accurate and calibratable (yep, making up new words). Here's hoping the new Canon camera to be announced next month will record to ProRes so I won't need any more recorders! I know, wishful thinking...
    Kevin McKeever | Director of Photography and Editor | www.image-generation.com
    Sony FS7, Canon L lenses, full lighting and audio packages

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinCitiesShooter View Post
    Gorgeous is nice, but I need it to be accurate and calibratable (yep, making up new words). Here's hoping the new Canon camera to be announced next month will record to ProRes so I won't need any more recorders! I know, wishful thinking...
    Haha, I couldn't tell you man. I honestly wouldn't expect much out of a multi-device but who knows? My next purchase will be calibratable (hey, there's 60,000+ Google results for the word) monitor so I can save time in post.
    Freelance Camera Operator/Editor/Photographer/Audio Dude

Sony EX1 | Nikon D300 | Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 Wireless Kit | Home Recording Studio

5. Collapse Details
    If they turn the monitor into a useable device via FW upgrade I might be very interested!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678