Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Collapse Details
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if you record to an Atmos Ninja with records 10bit 4:2:2 proRes, if you can achieve that by recording from the Hdmi or Sdi and have that better color space? If the Ac160 records 8bit out, how does the Atmos capture a higher 10bit 4:2:2? New at external recording and trying to understand if this is an option for a higher bit rate and 4:2:2 for us FCPX users. I just ordered the Ac160 and if a external recorder already converts or captures to the better 10bit 4:2:2 and is ready for editing, why would that not be the ultimate workflow?........I know a whole lot of questions in there.

2. Collapse Details
    Okay so the output is uncompressed 4:2:2 and is 8 Bit. If you record it to a 10 Bit signal it will record a 10 bit signal wrapped around the 8 Bit signal. Now that will improve the stability of the lesser codec as this is how we analyze lesser codecs we record them to higher bit rates. Just make sure your 10 bit 4:2:2 is at least 100Mbs for a real improvement in the signal. However, if you have never used the AVCHD codec before and are making these decisions with no experience with the AVCCAM, I suggest you get the camera and work with the codec a bit, it may surprise you with how good it really is.

I hope this helps,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

3. Collapse Details
    Yes, Thanks Jan. I was at the Dv expo in Pasadena to check out the camera (AC160) that day I placed my preorder. Can't wait to receive it and thanks for the input.

4. Collapse Details
    The output is a genuine 4:2:2, and that's what you're going to see as the major improvement in using an external recorder.

All SDI output is 10-bit, so the AC160 is doing the same thing as just about every other camcorder out there -- embedding its 8-bits of data within the 10-bit output. Will you get more shades of color from having recorded it into a 10-bit codec? No, because there's only 8 bits of data there. Will it be more robust to work with afterwards? Maybe. But the main thing you'd be getting from an external recorder is twice the color resolution, going from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. Plus, you'll get the advantages of a higher bitrate and an intraframe codec when using the external recorder.

However, as Jan said, try it out first. You may be very pleasantly surprised. I remember when the AF100 was first announced, everyone was all talking about what external recorder they'd "need". Now, after nine months of actually using it and seeing what the internal codec can do, you hardly ever see anyone saying that they "need" an external recorder. The onboard codec is surprisingly good at its bitrate, so -- just try it out first, to see if it works for you, before you decide that you need an external recorder. And if you decide that you really need a better codec, there's always the HPX250, which records with a world-class codec, plus it's 4:2:2, plus it's a true 10-bit, and the price difference between an AC160 and an HPX250 is less than any SDI recorder.

5. Collapse Details
    Well, that helps out a lot. It is great to know that I can have my Ac160 and record to media that suits my needs now. Plus, If I do need the additional color space, I do have that option. If I understand the above correctly, it make me happy to have the choices on this camera.

Thanks

6. Collapse Details
    I'm a legal videographer and couldn't wait to get my new AC160. Got it 3 days ago. Overall, great camera. For the legal video industry, not so much. The main selling point on this camera for me was the ability to burn time/date into the video. It will burn it, but it's much too high, about 1/3 of the way up. This is way to high for this line of work. If it doesn't cover part of the witnesses face, it's a distraction at the very least. I sent an email to Panasonic tech support and was basically told "that's where it is and you're just SOL." THis has to be an easy fix in the firmware. Other Panasonic cameras put the stamp in the correct place. Why is this one different? Jan?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567