Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Technicolor teams up with Canon for DSLR's
    From Planet5D, question posed to Canon PR:

This Technicolor announcement is specific to our DSLRs and announces a new Style to shoot in for maximum color flexibility later. This new style will live on the camera and afford shooters more latitude when color correcting.
    Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH) today announced it has formed a strategic alliance with Canon USA, Inc. to leverage Technicolor’s color-science in the development of a suite of creative tools for cinematographers to facilitate greater usability and integration of Canon EOS DSLR cameras into the motion picture and television production pipeline.
    The new suite of creative tools will be inaugurated with Technicolor’s CineStyle, that coupled with Technicolor’s Digital Printer Lightsâ, will provide a more seamless pipeline, from principal photography into editorial, for projects filmed using Canon EOS DSLR cameras. Technical tests have been conducted with various camera-lens configurations under the supervision of Technicolor color-scientists with a number of renowned cinematographers.
    “Technicolor, once again, is taking an innovative leadership position by their very forward-looking development of tools and workflows to support the deployment of Canon’s EOS DSLR’s into motion picture production,” stated cinematographer, and past ASC president, Daryn Okada.
    “Having shot a theatrical feature using Canon’s EOS DSLR’s (1-D Mark IV, 5D Mark II and the 7D),” stated Tom Stern, AFC, ASC, “I am very supportive of Technicolor and Canon working together to develop the ‘CineStyle’ profile. This can only help to serve greater utility of the EOS DSLR’s in production cinematography. I applaud this effort.”
    The cooperation between Technicolor and Canon USA, Inc. took place over the last year and was prompted by key professional cinematographers eager to incorporate Canon EOS DSLR cameras into their creative palettes.
    Technicolor CineStyle provides cinematographers with a look that allows for the greatest image latitude as production photography moves into editorial and ultimately digital intermediate color-grading and delivery. The new CineStyle will be unveiled at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada April 11-14 as part of the display in the Canon booth (Central Hall #C4325).
    So I wonder what this really means in concrete terms. Merely a new Picture style, ultra flat, or an actual expansion of captured color information?
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Good news for us Canon devotees... I guess.

John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

3. Collapse Details
    weird. we'll see what actually comes of that.

Hopefully its more than some preset picture style, lol.
    Kevin DeOliveira - Director / Editor

FACTION
    Commercials - Branded Content - Film
    ‎wearefaction.com

4. Collapse Details
    Looks like some post production grading suite from Technicolor. I sure hope this suggests that Canon will be making available a way of acquiring very high quality footage from their DSLRs. I mean - this would not be that useful if it is to be used on the same uber compressed mpeg codec. I mean why form an alliance with a colour company if the codec presently being used is the weak link in the chain and prevents much in the way of colour manipulation? Just reading between the lines of course..................

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by henryolonga View Post
    Looks like some post production grading suite from Technicolor. I sure hope this suggests that Canon will be making available a way of acquiring very high quality footage from their DSLRs. I mean - this would not be that useful if it is to be used on the same uber compressed mpeg codec. I mean why form an alliance with a colour company if the codec presently being used is the weak link in the chain and prevents much in the way of colour manipulation? Just reading between the lines of course..................
    Agreed! I definitely hope this means some type of new acquisition, whether it means external equipment, or a new codec
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fohdeesha View Post
    Agreed! I definitely hope this means some type of new acquisition, whether it means external equipment, or a new codec
    I predicted the 5DMark3 will have the XF 4:2:2 codec right here ( before EOSHD ever mentioned it) and I stand by that prediction! It just makes sense...shoots to CF cards, they've developed it already. and....Canon's making video the talking point of every TV Ad, they have guys (Bloom, Laforet, etc) who have brought them tons of new users, saying .....Moire, aliasing, codec....please fix this for us.
    We'll see.

7. Collapse Details
    So who do they have to partner with to fix the moire?

This is cool, but I'd say that the picture profiles are fairly low on the list of things that need to be improved when it comes to Canon DSLRs...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by awelgraven View Post
    Panasonic or Sony, it seems...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by awelgraven View Post
    Canon just has to partner with Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Who says they need to make just one model of the 5D MKIII? They could make a still and a "video" version.
    Exactly. I don't want to see a 5D MIII with XLRs, I want to see a XF-5D & a XF-7D. 1920x1080 full frame & ASP-C chip cameras with all the audio, zebras, TC.. etc features that come basic on the XH-A1.

I highly doubt anyone here would be really disappointed if the next video DSLR was great for video, but sucked for photos by snapping 2Megapixel stills.
    www.zijital.com
    video in 1080z

10. Collapse Details
    What looks really interesting here is that Canon (at least USA) is really taking seriously the use of there DSLR as movie making camera. With the amount of people and tech company involved in this announcement it really seems so.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast