1. Collapse Details
    FCC purchases frequency used by eqipment?
    Hello,

I was recently told the FCC turned the frequency used by my Sennheiser lavs into an emergency frequency. I've done some research that didn't yield any real results. Sennheiser is closed till Monday and they don't have a general email addy to send requests. The freq I'm using is 740-776 Mhz. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, can the equipment be re-calibrated, or is it useless now?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    This happened last year, after months of heads-up warnings. The FCC didn't "purchase" the 700MHz frequency block; they re-allocated it. That block is now reserved fo 2-way/emergency communications and is illegal to use for wireless mic systems.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts..._advisory.html
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

For Sale: Fostex FR2-LE field recorder

3. Collapse Details
    FYI - the re-allocation covers the entire 700mHz band, which ranges from 696mHz up to about 806mHz. This was in the winds for several years and widely discussed in the audio, film, and broadcast press before the shoe finally dropped concurrent to the move to digital TV broadcasting and the shutdown of analog TV stations last year. Senn and other manufacturers offered a trade-in program to ease upgrading to legal units on other frequencies that may or may not still be available.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the updates guys! I'll be contacting Senn tomorrow to see what my options are. Thanks again!

5. Collapse Details
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugar13 View Post
    Hello,

I was recently told the FCC turned the frequency used by my Sennheiser lavs into an emergency frequency. I've done some research that didn't yield any real results. Sennheiser is closed till Monday and they don't have a general email addy to send requests. The freq I'm using is 740-776 Mhz. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, can the equipment be re-calibrated, or is it useless now?

Thanks!
    Assuming you are in the USA - then the 700MHz band is now illegal for radiomics.

It is possible to convert a G2 system from one band to another, but it is not cheap as it involves replacing the Rf board in both transmitter and receiver and doing a re-setup.

I know Sennheiser UK used to do this, but the $ equivalent price would be over $300 per system.

I think Sennheiser USA did special swap-out prices for exchanging your old illegal system for a new legal one; but you would have to ask them.

I don't think they offered the re-build option as it would be totally impracticable for them to change thousands and thousands of systems over.

I hope this helps.
    John Willett
    Sound-Link ProAudio Ltd.
    Circle Sound Services
    President - International Federation of Soundhunters (FICS)

Recorder: Nagra VI, Nagra SD, AETA 4MinX
    Mics: (all pairs): Sennheiser MKH 20/30/40/800/8020/8040/816F, Neumann KM-D series. Plus: Soundfield SPS200, Neumann TLM 103, KMR 81i + loads more
    DAW: Sequoia
    Monitors: Geithain RL906, Harbeth M30A, K+H O110D
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-1, HD 800
    Monitor Controller: Grace m903

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help. You can tell I've been away from production for a while now.... LOL. I've spent the past two years writing and pre-production (the past few months). The news of the FCC took me by surprise.

7. Collapse Details
    WOW... just finished talking to a Sennheiser rep. The FCC banned Sennheiser from recalibrating any of the wireless equipment using the 700 frequency range....
    His suggestion was to sell the equipment overseas... in countries where the 700 frequency range isn't an emergency line (any non-U.S. location).

Thanks for the help everyone!