Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    AF100 - First Screenshots
    Just got my AF100 today. I took some shots outside but honestly that on-board codec got chewed up pretty good. I see where it can be of use, but I'm ordering a KiPro Mini ASAP. Luckily I was able to get an idea of what advantage the KiPro can give me since I hooked up my camera via HDMI to my Blackmagic Intensity Card to ingest into Final Cut Pro.

Loving the results...banding removed almost completely, and artifacting is a thing of the past. All these shot at ISO 200 with a 55m Micro Nikkor @ F2.8-4. I had a Lowel Softbox in the room, the shot of the light was with the lights off except that bulb to give it a situation where banding would definitely show up.

Added image from recent shooting outside. Did the best I could exposing her skin, but it didn't come out so great. Color corrected with grain added:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KyleProhaska; 04-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Very nice...but what did you mean by....?

but honestly that on-board codec got chewed up pretty good.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

3. Collapse Details
    I threw a few situations at the camera today while I still had daylight. I made sure I knew to check my waveform, made sure I had a good scene file setup, etc. and pointed the camera at a few things including a pond with some geese in it. The codec didn't handle it very well at all. Most of the footage was very milky and honestly if I hadn't shot the footage I would've guessed it was from a 7D or something similar. It handled it a bit worse though IMO with lots of wonderful blocks in the footage. Sometimes the onboard was fine, and other times it was unusable (or what I call unusable). I could use it if I absolutely had to, but I would never shoot anything of importance with it. Just my personal opinion having seen how it handles certain things. I would rather be safe and have the best quality I can for almost any situation. I'm not dealing with quick turn arounds or anything like some might.

4. Collapse Details
    Can you post screen grabs of anything unuseable?

I am really curious and alarmed about "very milky", "wonderful blocks", "unuseable" .

I have already shot a lot of material of "importance" successfully on the internal codec ... so I am keen to see what I may be missing here that you are seeing.

Also aware you have only had the camera 2 minutes but like to see where the "buzz" is with you.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

5. Collapse Details
    Here's the worst from today...the whole frame is broken into pieces. Granted this IMO is a worst case scenario for the camera and any DSLR would've moired like crazy. Either way even my old HDV camera would've handled this much better than this shot shows. Static shots in decent light seem fine to me, which is expected but it seems like anything mildly complicated gives it more problems. The onboard codec makes the camera look very much like my 5D, with the way the codec compresses. The "milky" thing I referred to is just how it seems to handle and group things together as it compresses. I hear people all the time talk about how the 5D handles skin a lot of the time. It takes on a weird plastic appearance and the compression for the AF100 onboard looks to do the same. I won't post a picture of my wife because she doesn't want me to, but that had that problem in it. In motion the shot below is awful.
    http://www.kyleprohaska.com/problem.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    The shots you posted in your original post look like great shots deserving of a production style camera.

Your problem shot looks like a "snap" shot to me. It is probably over exposed by 1 to 1.5 stops.

I can tell from the other shots you have a nice feel for photographic exposure.

but I think you need to do some more tests and learn a bit more about controlling the AF100 (native codec or external codec) .

We have seen many examples of straight out of the box "test shots" in this forum and an accompanying comment that this camera sucks or the codec sucks or it's noisy,
    bandy etc.....

Good things take time.

I won't post a picture of my wife because she doesn't want me to, but that had that problem in it.
    Hope you are not saying here that your wife is a problem!
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

7. Collapse Details
    Yea, here's a test I just shot a second ago of my wife. It's about 12:40am here so I tried to get it looking like the living room does when it's daytime. There's normally a big sliding door to the left of her that blasts light in. Granted the window behind her should be more blown (if the sun was really out) but I don't think you can tell. Just a simple Lowel Softbox on the left of her with a little 150w kicker bouncing off our white ceiling for fill. All other lights off.

Onboard codec still reminds me of my 5D. The way the codec makes the image feel really is like the DSLRs. For a shot like this it's more manageable. I did take other shots today that were OK too in good light. It's not so bad, but I still wouldn't use it very much unless I was forced to. I'm not paying all this money to be stuck in 420 color space and such, no way. I'm hoping to use this on a feature and the onboard simply won't do IMO, no matter how well my lighting is. Just personal satisfaction I guess! Got permission to put this one up from her, haha.

Better quality: http://www.kyleprohaska.com/af100/denise_cu.jpg

Last edited by KyleProhaska; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Post back once you get your external recorder and have tested that. Many will be keen on seeing the comparative

Hope it does it for you... but I am kind of thinking...you need an Alexa.

BTW: I am not disagreeing in principle. I also wish this camera was I- frame and 4:2:2
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

9. Collapse Details
    LOL why do I need an Alexa? It's a little outside my price range... ;)

Shot from my feature and shot from the Crews.tv thing...very comparable with that old HDV cam.

http://www.kyleprohaska.com/af100/a1_af100.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    when you did direct capture, did you see the blocky compression clear up? nice shots btw. Love the 35mm adapter look, as always.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast