Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shooting video at night with the GH2
    So last night i had to shoot an incident, i was half asleep and forgot to grab my HMC150. I arrived and noticed i only had the GH2. The video i shot with the GH2 was horrible with noise. Before last night i have only shot with in the day time and everything looked great. Does anybody have any tips for shooting at night, what settings i should use ect.

2. Collapse Details
    What aperture and ISO were you set at? Those are the two most important settings for low light esp. a fast F Stop and a moderate use of ISO (because it will add noise)

3. Collapse Details
    To be honest i`m not sure what it was set as, it was a run and gun situation. I shoot spot news. Do you have advice on what i should have set as? In case i do something stupid again like run out my door without my HMC150 and have to use the GH2. My clients still bought it but it absolutely looked like s**t to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdJFc8ytio&hd=1

4. Collapse Details
    For low light you definitely don't want the camera to take control....it'll F it up! If you have some fast glass, you'll probably want to be as wide open as possible while maintaining your shot...then if you need to up the ISO, just treat it like you would gain....very carefully.
    You have to remember the HMC150 can be at 1.8 and it's native ISO is 500, so even though the sensors are smaller...it can do pretty well for itself compared to the GH2 set at a slow F stop. and/or
    the cameras settings not being done by you. The GH2 with a fast lens in theory should rock in low light.
    Hope this helps...good luck next time!

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah whatever mode i was using i think the camera took control last night. I was seeing auto iso. What is a good mode to use to shoot with?

6. Collapse Details
    Try IA mode with the 20mm pancake. I find the noise and banding is much much lower than if i try to shoot on the optimal manual settings in low light.

I discovered this by accident as i had never used IA before, but for an emergency shoot like the one above where you might not have time to setup, IA works well.

I'm not sure why this is, can others confirm IA eliminates almost all of the black lines and banding? (This was on a GH1)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lakotawolf View Post
    Yeah whatever mode i was using i think the camera took control last night. I was seeing auto iso. What is a good mode to use to shoot with?
    I would shoot in the full manual mode most of the time...I can't say I've had rambooc1's luck with the IA (also on GH1). But his advice for the 20mm I can COMPLETELY agree with. It's a 1.7 lens so you're camera even in IA would not NEED to dial up the ISO...I also should say I never tried the pancake on IA, but with other lenses I did better dialing in the ISO, opening up the aperture, etc.
    If I were you I'd experiment and come up with a custom setting for lowlight and save it on your camera...so you're ready to go!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpfiction007 View Post
    I would shoot in the full manual mode most of the time...I can't say I've had rambooc1's luck with the IA (also on GH1). But his advice for the 20mm I can COMPLETELY agree with. It's a 1.7 lens so you're camera even in IA would not NEED to dial up the ISO...I also should say I never tried the pancake on IA, but with other lenses I did better dialing in the ISO, opening up the aperture, etc.
    If I were you I'd experiment and come up with a custom setting for lowlight and save it on your camera...so you're ready to go!
    Great Idea thanks. I`m going to out some place and just experiment and come up with a low light setting tonight.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    3200iso, f1.4 lens, gain up by 3.

10. Collapse Details
    The IA adds something to the exposure that i can't get with full manual even when the shutter speeds match, it's just very noticeably cleaner.

Try it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast