Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vcassel View Post
    Does it have to be a Samurai driven, or can it just feature them to some degree?
    The fest theme is dishonour - it doesnt have to have samurai at all.

Let's explore that. Well in a Samurai sense it forms part of Bushido - the way of the warrior where honour is considered one of the highest of all virtues.

So what about in modern life, a guy cheating on his wife could be deemed dishonourable as could virtually any crime where the person feels they have dishonoured themselves in the eyes of others. I guess thats a key point with dishonour IMO - the person needs to feel the shame of their dishonourable action.

For example a guy who's sleeping with his brothers wife could be deemed dishonourable, but without him feeling the shame of his actions he's just an A hole? Thinking aloud here as well. So does dishonour relate to someone incapable of feeling shame at their dishonour? IMO, No, it doesn't.

How can dishonour be used to drive a story? Again IMO.

Well the protagonist commits an act they feel shameful of - thats the obvious one. An antagonist undertakes a dishonourable act that effects the protagonist and how they then deal with that. I think also theres some other opportunities to explore here. An antagonist that undertakes a dishonourable act that positively effects the protagonist in some way - they have to come to terms with their gain at the cost of someone else for example. Or how about an antagonist whose dishonourable act effects the protagonist to do something they normally wouldn't as in that becomes one of the catalysts for change in our protagonist.

Again this is all just thinking aloud.
    SDC Productions Gold Coast Aust. http://sdcproductions.com.au
    admin@scarlet-films.com +61 (0) 408 455 374
    http://www.ozcrews.tv/

ECHOES ON THE WAVES - IN EDIT http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...643079268&ap=1

2. Collapse Details
    Perfect, Noel! Thanks.

3. Collapse Details
    It just has to have a Samurai type theme with a betrayal. So you don't need to exactly have Samurai in it.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

4. Collapse Details
    damn, i have no ideas although i've read that hagakure book just recently.

5. Collapse Details
    Hello!

I'm new here and wrote a screenplay about a Samurai (kind of ;) ) which might be fun to enter. Just wondering whether it's ok that I wrote it before and have filmed it (although it has not and may never see the light of day)?

Cheers,
    Nick

6. Collapse Details
    Has to be written for this fest.

7. Collapse Details
    Is it frowned upon for new users to submit for the fest if it's not their typical area of expertise? I'd like to write a script for this, but I'm not quite sure how current standards for formatting should look because I don't have a scriptwriting program. I have some older Word formats to use - is that ok or is there a particulare Word format I should use?

8. Collapse Details
    Formatting isn't hard just check out some scripts from the previous fests. The hard part is the craft and that takes script after script and feedback, plenty of feedback and ultimately that is what contests like this is all about. Getting better at the craft.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

9. Collapse Details
    @ jwmemmer Write it and enter. New comers totally welcome here and encouraged. If you make an effort at getting into the proper format people will notice that. I personally would love to read your story. There are lots of free formatting software choices. CELTX is one of them. < http://celtx.com/

It will do most of the work for you. Hope to see your script! If you need help with a poster, please send me a PM and I can help you with that.
    SCRIPTFEST VII TOP 3 | THE MELT | WEBSITE | IMDB | EMAIL
    Wordsmith & Graphic Designer. Will work for credit, coffee and money.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Todaro View Post
    @ jwmemmer Write it and enter. New comers totally welcome here and encouraged. If you make an effort at getting into the proper format people will notice that. I personally would love to read your story. There are lots of free formatting software choices. CELTX is one of them. < http://celtx.com/

It will do most of the work for you. Hope to see your script! If you need help with a poster, please send me a PM and I can help you with that.
    Thanks!! I really appreciate the link and info! I came up with an idea while driving to work this morning and fleshed it out while driving back home. I just completed a rough outline, so we'll see if I can put something together shortly. I did search the forum and found videos from previous contests; however, is there a place to also review previous contest winning scripts? I have no idea how a 6-10 page script should be managed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast