Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Gemini 4:4:4 Recorder
    Saw this on another forum (well spotted to the original poster). Looks a good deal! Nice price.
    Gemini 4:4:4
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

2. Collapse Details
    Well if I had an F3, I know what I'd be getting for it... wonder what it records onto?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Well if I had an F3, I know what I'd be getting for it... wonder what it records onto?
    I heard SSD...
    Peter Corbett
    php.com.au

4. Collapse Details
    "Full Uncompressed" that's the only bit that worries me. Surely they're using some kind of compression? prores? cineform? dpx? I find it hard to believe it's just spitting out completely uncompressed avi's/movs, that would make storage and media a huge pain
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

5. Collapse Details
    i'm sure it will do a LOT more than just uncompressed. judging by the specs, it's gunning for cinedeck, it's gonna match it in everyway and more...

uncompressed isn't a bad idea at all. onboard sxs recording for editorial, online it to the uncompressed. I would love it to do 10 bit DPX as the online, and bypass quicktime all together. great for VFX too.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fohdeesha View Post
    "Full Uncompressed" that's the only bit that worries me. Surely they're using some kind of compression? prores? cineform? dpx? I find it hard to believe it's just spitting out completely uncompressed avi's/movs, that would make storage and media a huge pain
    Convergent Design would not make a mistake like that. There have been requests from the nanoFlash users to get access to uncompressed video in addiition to LongGOP, iFrame variants like ProRes.

They have managed to do some pretty remarkable stuff using Sony's codec in the nanoFlash giving users access to 280 mbit files.

We'll have to wait and see what codec technology they have employed in their new device. It shouldn't be long.

Having seen how they operate over the past year as a nanoFlash user, I am really excited about this announcement.
    Last edited by Andrew Stone; 03-17-2011 at 04:17 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fohdeesha View Post
    As I understand it uncompressed has all the info you need. With this new recorder you will be able to connect the SSD after you have shot, and convert it to any of those formats you want. It will be "First code" as if it was straight from the camera. Or use an uncompressed workflow. Drag onto the timeline and edit. There are other features that look amazing, plus it will be the size of a Small HD DP6 to give you a reference. You can record simultaneously to 2 SSD's and have that double back up..... Can't wait
    Nigel Akam
    Director of Photography
    www.nigelakam.com
    twitter: @nigelakam

8. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Have you guys seen this:

Cinemartin SFV – New, very affordable mobile uncompressed recorder.

At least the media will be the cheapest on the market.

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/...ssed-recorder/
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

9. Collapse Details
    This is very interesting... $25k looks set to rig you up a very strong F3 system (without lens) with a few SSDs thrown in for good measure.
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

10. Collapse Details
    Do you realize the transfer speeds required for 10-bit 1080p uncompressed? With the compression technologies available today, there is absolutely no reason to still be spitting out completely uncompressed. I mean at-least go to a dpx sequence! There's no reason not to go to cineform or prores, they are both compatible on both windows and OSX systems. Going to cineform even at it's highest bitrate setting will allow you to fit more than 5 times the amount of footage on a single drive, and you won't need a RAID array on your edit station to play back a single layer of it.
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast