Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon 7D 3K movie experiment
    Hi,

know that native 3K movie on HDSLR is hardware mission impossible, BUT .....what happened if you shoot photos at sequence mode (canon 7D can shoot 8 FPS) ...at JPEG format at 3k resolution...you get "8fps movie sequence"....hey 8fps ?? eggrrr its realy slow fps...now its time for experiment with inbetween frame calculations...and what happened ???...you can see it in my tests movie seq. in 3K resolution No color grading, no other postproduction... I know this method is not perfect at all and has many limitation, but for some "static" or not fast scenes like nature documents is maybe usable

www.mocnak.com/test_01.rar
    www.mocnak.com/test_02.rar
    www.mocnak.com/test_03.rar
    www.mocnak.com/test_04.rar
    www.mocnak.com/test_05.rar
    www.mocnak.com/test_06.rar

2. Collapse Details
    Are these files a single video rar'ed up for us to see?
    I canceled downloading the first one after I saw the size and realized I probably need all 6 of these to work.

I understand you can't upload it to a streaming server without losing the 3k file size, but you should still upload it to vimeo or something just for those of us who can't afford the bandwidth right now, but want to see the effect (obviously at lower resolution).

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

3. Collapse Details
    Like when you do a timelapse. You can easily get a 3K res movie out of that. So what new about it?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by draven4 View Post
    Like when you do a timelapse. You can easily get a 3K res movie out of that. So what new about it?
    No, not like a timelapse. A timelapse is a series of full sized images played back at a standard frame rate, which gives the illusion of time being sped up quickly. It sounds like he's describing playing it back at NORMAL speed, in other words not sped up time lapse footage at all, but rather full 3K video at normal speed. The problem is, you'll only get 8fps, which is kind of choppy to watch.

I'm assuming he used something like Twixtor to fill in the in-between frames, making his 8fps clip a full 24p one, yet still at 3K resolution and playing at real-time speed. That's actually a really cool idea, and I'd be curious to see how it came out, or if it looks really weird and morph-like.

Sony | Panasonic | Canon

5. Collapse Details
    Dishe is right

6. Collapse Details
    I understood what he meant but it's 8fps. It would work for a shot with no movement like a building. Heck I've repeated frames to extend a shot that was cut too short but at 8fps not really useful for a lot of things.

I just thought he was marveling at the fact of getting a 3k image out of the camera which I believe is more of the subject of the post. But why marvel with an 8fps movie. Might as well use a still then.

7. Collapse Details
    I did that for a music video - shot medium JPEGs (bigger than a 1080 frame) of a girl walking while 2 grips followed with a green screen. Motor-drived it, cropped it in a photoshop batch, keyed it, layered up dupes with time offset, motion tracked it and timewarped it. Kind of a cool, choppy, surreal look. Man, a JPEG sequence keys like a dream. Only ended up using a couple seconds of it.

But seriously, other than an effect, a time lapse, or maybe some god-awfully slow pan with no people - it's not going to look like any sort of "video".

8. Collapse Details
    I understood what he meant but it's 8fps. It would work for a shot with no movement like a building. Heck I've repeated frames to extend a shot that was cut too short but at 8fps not really useful for a lot of things.

I just thought he was marveling at the fact of getting a 3k image out of the camera which I believe is more of the subject of the post. But why marvel with an 8fps movie. Might as well use a still then.
    ::Facepalm::

The whole point is that ITS NOT 8FPS anymore!! At least, to my understanding, he's filling in the missing frames with "inbetween frame calculations". Are you familiar with apps like twixtor, which can take a 24fps video and stretch it out to 1,000+ fps relatively accurately? People usually use it to create dramatic slow motion shots from regular footage.
    It never occured to me that someone could use the same technology to turn 8fps into 24, which could (in theory) effectively create usable 24p video at 3k from our cameras (without moire and aliasing to boot), that would look like it came from a much more expensive camera.

Now I would imagine this wouldn't be useful in most situations (how long can the camera snap 8fps for?), but rather a proof of concept. But certainly an interesting concept, and definitely not one I've ever seen done before!
    Op- can you upload it to a video sharing site so we can see if the motion is smooth doing it the way you did? Also, what did you do to slow it down?

Michael Carter, I'm not sure if you are describing the same thing, but that sounds pretty cool too!

Sony | Panasonic | Canon

9. Collapse Details
    it would work for a shot with no movement like a building.
    facepalm

edit: ops wasn't first

10. Collapse Details
    I've played with Twixtor. There are artifacts if you try to use it beyond it's capacity. It works to slow things down and it is best to shoot with a high shutter speed so that you have as much info as possible for the program do its work.

This guy is talking about the opposite. You have a large lack of information and you guys are talking of using that? Even with a shot that is shot properly and used with Twixtor you can only go so far.

If you're going to make comments like Facepalm keep your face in your palm. I never said anything like that to you. I was just questioning the value of what this poster is trying to present.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast