Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Vegas Movie Studio HD plat 10 - Low memory error when rendering with FIX
    I recently started experiencing some low memory errors while rendering. I managed to find a fix and figured I would share in case others experience the same problems. I also sent my findings to Sony so hopefully they can take the info and add it to their knowledge base.

This is what I sent:

I just spent the last 9 hours tracking down a low memory error that would occur every time I was trying to render my latest video. What was strange was the crash would only occur depending on the format I was trying to render it as. SONY AVC would render fine but the MainConcept would not. Also windows Media Video V11 would only render if the sound was un-checked.

It also made no difference on the length of the video, the low memory error would occur within seconds. Using Task manager resource monitor I could see that I had plenty of system memory, page file & hard disk memory.

I finally found the solution to Vegas giving me memory errors using CFF Explorer... This is what I did.

1) Using "CFF Explorer" I open the original "VegasMovieStudioPE100.exe" file.

2) Now go to "NT Header/File Header" and click "File Header". There you will find a button labeled "click here". Click it. And select the checkbox "App can handle> 2GB address space"

3) Now press the "ok"'s and when back on the main menu, click on the disk button and save the modified ".exe" file, overwrite the orginal one. (Note in Vista and 7 you must be running CFF Explorer in Administrator Mode).

Suddenly all my low memory errors were history and have been able to render all my movies with no issues.

I hope this information will be forwarded to some lead programmer so they can use this information and fix future versions so others won't have to spend 9 hours like I did. I had to use a similar fix on Vegas-Platinum-9. So that's why I even tried this.

Sony's reply:

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. First, I apologize for the unusually long delay in responding to you. Our new Vegas Pro 10 has been well-received and as such, a high number of people are coming to us for support on this product.

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware that Windows will restrict a 32 bit application to 2gb of memory, and that a utility such as CFF Explorer can be used to change this allocation in Windows so that it does not enforce this limitation on a 32 bit application.

We are glad to hear this resolved your issue.

If you still have a follow-up question on this particular incident, please feel free to update it. If you have a completely different question, please create a new incident.

Sincerely,

XXXX X.
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    Sony Creative Software Inc
    www.sonycreativesoftware.com

So if they are aware Windows will restrict a 32 bit application to 2 gigs what are they going to do about it? Nothing? Or is it Microsoft problem?

FYI: I am currently running Vista 64 so maybe this problem is not an issue with Windows 7? I don't know but if anyone is experiencing this "low memory" error and you KNOW you have enough memory (like myself with 16 gigs). The CFF explorer fix is well worth a try, it's free, quick, easy and reversible (just keep a copy of the original file or just uncheck the box).
    Visit my channel to see my latest videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lowlypawn

2. Collapse Details
    I just received a message from John thanking me for this fix. I'm glad I saved you from "smashing your new computer"

Also I was on youtube and did a search for "CFF explorer" and found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cornCoGTU8A

Guess I wasn't the first to find this fix. And apparently even Vegas Pro 10 can suffer from the memory bug.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi,

I'm actually still having the "low memory" problems even after doing that fix - though it helped out tremendously in adding more videos (.mov files from a 7D). I've got 12gb of RAM and a quad-core AMD Phenom II so I'm sure I have more than enough specs to render out a 5 minute video. I've tried several different codecs and some crash quicker than others, but if I leave the project settings on 'Good' most crash right away, as soon as it gets to a frame with any visuals.

I'm running Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 on Windows 7 64-bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - also rendering onto a hard drive with just under 500gb of space free.

4. Collapse Details
    Forget it. I'm done with this program. The fact that it can't render anything better than a simple 2 minute video on Preview is just evidence of a terribly coded product. I've done all the hacks and tried all the tricks - all of which shouldn't even have to be done - and nothing works.

Waste of money.

5. Collapse Details
    You should try transcoding your 7D footage to an intermediate codec or use something like DVfilm epic. Editing the native files is just asking for memory errors.

6. Collapse Details
    I appreciate the feedback and patience through my obvious venting of frustration. I'll give that a try because I definitely do like the intuitiveness of Vegas. I'm also looking at other demos though to see if I produce similar results in similar circumstances.

7. Collapse Details
    Greetings, I have just upgraded to Vegas studio 10 and I am having the same out of memory problem.

I have also tried the various fixes and nothing worked (including the CFF explorer fix). My conclusion is that Sony has broken Vegas with this upgrade. Simple as that. Why do I say that? I finally got the render to work by running a copy of Studio 10 side-by-side with my old copy of Studio 9. Copy and pasting each track from V10 to V9 and then run the render on Studio 9 and it works perfectly!

I know it should work because I have done far more complex projects on older versions of Vegas. This is a joke. Editing is ok but it runs slower than V9, I can live with that but the rendering on V10 is just crippled. To rub salt into the wound, the .vf file is not compatible between V9 and V10 so I can't even do the sensible thing and just use my Studio 9 to open the Studio 10 project file. Grrr

8. Collapse Details
    Re: System is low in memory in vegas movie studio hd platinum 10 and 11
    Thumbs up
    Hi All,

HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

I had a similar problem with my movie studio hd platinum 11 installed on 64 bit OS ( windows 7).
    The probleme is very simple Movie Studio is a 32-bit application so it will never see more than 2GB of memory regardless of how much memory your computer actually has( mine has 8GB). I would recommend that you check your Dynamic RAM Preview setting in your video preferences to make sure it's not set too high. That will steal memory away from rendering. After you finish editing your video, save your project, set the value of Dynamic Ram to zero (0) and see if it helps. BE CAREFUL THOUGH I noticed I had to EXIT the application and restart it for the change to take effect. Retrieve the saved project and render....

Setting the Dynamic RAM Preview to 0 worked a treat for me and I was able to render a 4 mns HD video in no time, the video rendered without a problem.

Give it a go, and let us know if the issue is fixed.

See ya

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkangel1 View Post
    Hi All,

HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

I had a similar problem with my movie studio hd platinum 11 installed on 64 bit OS ( windows 7).
    The probleme is very simple Movie Studio is a 32-bit application so it will never see more than 2GB of memory regardless of how much memory your computer actually has( mine has 8GB). I would recommend that you check your Dynamic RAM Preview setting in your video preferences to make sure it's not set too high. That will steal memory away from rendering. After you finish editing your video, save your project, set the value of Dynamic Ram to zero (0) and see if it helps. BE CAREFUL THOUGH I noticed I had to EXIT the application and restart it for the change to take effect. Retrieve the saved project and render....

Setting the Dynamic RAM Preview to 0 worked a treat for me and I was able to render a 4 mns HD video in no time, the video rendered without a problem.

Give it a go, and let us know if the issue is fixed.

See ya
    just for S&G's, i tried your suggestion.

i'm running VMS 10 on Win7 64 bit on i7 2600k overclocked to 4.6ghz 8gb RAM.

i normally have Dynamic RAM set to 1,024mb. Though i have not experienced any rendering issues with Cineform avi's, i thought i'd give your suggestion a go. a :39 sample clip with 5 random heavy effects was taking 1:20 to render to wmv. With dynamic RAM set to 0, it took 1:39.

Computers are strange, and there are so may more variables that factor in to rendering. I wish i had a definitive suggestion for the OP, but what works for you may not work for someone else. And though your's is good and widely known suggestion, it slowed my render time down quite a bit. Back up to 1,024mb i go! Good luck OP!
    "Easier than it sounds, harder than it looks."
    Chris Light
    www.vimeo.com/chrislight

10. Collapse Details
    I just wanted to add an update. I started working on a new project yesterday. Added all my media files. As soon as I started editing. Vegas would crash within 1 minuet! So god damn annoying. I'm thinking not this s**t again! BTW. I'm now using Vegas HD 10, my OS is VISTA 64.

Anyway, I uninstall Vegas, reinstall and the same problem, Vegas locks up within 30 seconds of editing (usually when I hit play after dragging a clip around). I also tried moving all the media to my fastest hard drive thinking that was the issue.

Well I screwed around with this for another hour, Vegas froze at least 25 times! I finally say screw it and I tried the ">2 gig memory fix" to the file (step two 1st post). I reload Vegas the suddenly it's rock stable again! Edited for a solid 1.5 hours with no issues.

I mean WTF Sony! Now granted it could be my computer but that would be TWO computers I have experienced this problem. Or it could be a Vista issue but I have received several emails from people using XP that had this issue and the fix corrected their problem. I also noticed last time I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Vista, Vegas HD worked fine without the fix... But 3 months later this issue cropped up again!?!? Anyway I'm just glad the fix works, It's a lot easier to apply this fix then reinstall Vista each time.

I would love to get to the bottom of this and find out what triggers the problem. I suspect it's another program on my computer that somehow changes the way the memory is allocated. But that's just a wild ass guess on my part

If anyone has experienced this or if this helps anyone please post your experience. Also I would love to know if anyone has experienced this problem with "Vegas HD 11". Because it seems Vegas HD 10 was out for only 6 months before 11 came out. Makes me wonder why.

EDIT! I just remembered something.

Vegas was working fine just last week. Two days ago windows did an update. I remember being annoying because I had to wait for it to finish when I started my computer. Yesterday Vegas suddenly becomes an unstable POS that wont run for 2 minutes before locking up! Today I apply the 2gig memory fix presto, problems go away.... Maybe the windows update did something??? I duno but the timing seems odd.
    Last edited by Lowlypawn; 08-13-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast