Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    Now how do i use all this stuff!
    LINK
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by C2V View Post
    the G3 systems added diversity (a second antenna, reducing the likelihood for signal dropouts)

Often, the uber-cheap systems run on VHF frequencies and are non-diversity, which means terrible reception and more vulnerability to interference.
    -Alex
    two points I'd like to add:

1 There is no second antenna on the G3s, instead the cable serves as second antenna. They look the same as the G2 units, just one visible antenna.

2 Funnily, I have had the best reach/reception with non-diversity VHF units (Lectrosonics) compared to diversity UHF units (Audio Limited).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sonidista View Post
    1 There is no second antenna on the G3s, instead the cable serves as second antenna. They look the same as the G2 units, just one visible antenna.
    And if you'd quoted the entire statement:

the G3 systems added diversity (a second antenna, reducing the likelihood for signal dropouts) by utilizing the audio output cable from the receiver as the second antenna.
    As for VHF, it is a lower band, and as such can bend a little bit better. UHF must be more line-of-sight than VHF (though neither can perform miracles around harsh geography or complex structures).

There are some pro-level VHF units (such as from Lectro) that used to be the standard before the UHF units were introduced. However, in the cheap-o wireless world VHF units are absolute garbage, and that is the context that relates to the original post. If one is convinced that it's fine to go with a $100 VHF system, he or she might as well go buy a nursery monitor and use that.

The UHF Lectro systems also sound, in terms of audio frequency response, much better than the old VHF units.
    Last edited by Alex H.; 02-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

4. Collapse Details
    PM'ed 2 mods, no response. Anyone else care to try?

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks C2V, I have that book and love it!

I was just joking, I just need to figure out all this new gear and do all sorts of tests and whatnot.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

6. Collapse Details
    And if you'd quoted the entire statement:
    sorry about that, C2V, my ole eyes and my lil' netbook display are giving me a hard time...

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks very handy. Over in the UK you can also get some good prices on quality old vhf units from audio ltd and micron, but you need to make sure they are still legal!
    G3 is where I find myself heading, they are also more precise in the bandwidth so apparently you can find your slot more easily if in an RF hostile environment.

8. Collapse Details
    I saw the title and thought, "Groan.... here we go again. G3 bla bla bla..."

Hopefully C2V has saved us a lot of rewriting of the same thing over and over! Thanks man.
    Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
    Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

9. Collapse Details
    "Though the U100 systems were splendid in their class (I had two of them), I have not seen or heard many positive reviews of the 1800 series"

Does this mean negative reviews or no reviews of the 1800 series? Any personal experiences at this point?

Eh..ok...this doesn't read so nice:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html
    Last edited by Gweilo66; 04-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    I was really interested in these when they came out (1800 series) but heard underwhelming things. I now am so glad I got a G3. Most of the time I only need one person using wireless, so I don't have to carry around the big dual receiver of the 1800, and the G3 stuff just sounds better. I can buy 2 for the same price and use them as needed.
    Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
    Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast