Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    If you want to get used, look at the Sony systems (avoid the UWP-V1, even worse than the newer UWP-D1), or Sennheiser G3 systems which are going for $325-350/channel right now.
    Ok so if avoid V1 and th D1 is not good either, since you say even worse, what sony to get then used?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    RØDELink Filmmaker kit has a very interesting price. I found it new for cheaper than used Sony. But taking quick look at photos it seems it's made for DSLRs? It seems it connects to the camera using the amateur headphone type of plug? No XLR?
    Like any of the wireless in this range, including Sennheiser and Sony, it has 3.5mm output. While most of the others are packed with a 3.5mm>XLR adapter cable, you’d have to purchase a separate XLR adapter for the RØDELink Filmmaker.

Ok so if avoid V1 and th D1 is not good either, since you say even worse, what sony to get then used?
    The D1 is okay. If you’d read the original post, and my later post reviewing the D1 hands-on, you’ll see why I find the Sennheiser to be a better system. There are a few folks on the board who find the Sony UWP-D1 to be more than satisfactory. You also might. The older UWP-V1 system, though, has a higher and more noticeable noise floor. That’s why I’d avoid it.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

3. Collapse Details
    Like any of the wireless in this range, including Sennheiser and Sony, it has 3.5mm output. While most of the others are packed with a 3.5mm>XLR adapter cable, you’d have to purchase a separate XLR adapter for the RØDELink Filmmaker.

The D1 is okay. If you’d read the original post, and my later post reviewing the D1 hands-on, you’ll see why I find the Sennheiser to be a better system. There are a few folks on the board who find the Sony UWP-D1 to be more than satisfactory. You also might. The older UWP-V1 system, though, has a higher and more noticeable noise floor. That’s why I’d avoid it.
    I read the OP. But your last post threw me off when you said even worse. But if all are 3.5mm then used D11 better than new Rodelink in your opinion?

4. Collapse Details
    But if all are 3.5mm then used D11 better than new Rodelink in your opinion?
    Yes? No? Maybe?

You’re comparing UHF to WiFi... very different beasts. Are you using just the one wireless system, or are you integrating this with other systems? Are you working in crowded RF environments, or do you typically work in places where there’s plenty of free transmission spectrum? Do you have time to sit down and tune a UHF system, or are you really looking for something you can simply power on and start using? Does latency matter to you at all, or are you fine having to adjust that in post?

You need to figure out whether a WiFi system will work for you (easy power-up-and-go, more signal stability when in range, comparatively limited working range, limited number of devices that can run at the same time, latency in the signal transmission), or if a traditional UHF system is better for you (requires careful tuning, can be used around multiple wireless systems, signal can be squashed by nearby RF sources). Answer that question, then pick a system.

Find Me on Instagram

5. Collapse Details
    Yes? No? Maybe?

You’re comparing UHF to WiFi... very different beasts.
    Kind of depends but I will try to answer.

Are you using just the one wireless system, or are you integrating this with other systems?
    Just the one.

Are you working in crowded RF environments, or do you typically work in places where there’s plenty of free transmission spectrum?
    Don't know about plenty of free transmission. But the work is not in crowded places at all. Most times on the road. Almost always outdoors.

Do you have time to sit down and tune a UHF system, or are you really looking for something you can simply power on and start using?
    Plug and play is of course easier. But depends how much time to tune UHF system?

Does latency matter to you at all, or are you fine having to adjust that in post?
    Again depends. I want this for quick turn around jobs. So depends how much hassle and slow it is to deal with latency in post. For example I was thinking of a lav to a Zoom recorder and talent can have Zoom on belt or something. But sync in post even with software adds time too.

You need to figure out whether a WiFi system will work for you (easy power-up-and-go, more signal stability when in range, comparatively limited working range, limited number of devices that can run at the same time, latency in the signal transmission), or if a traditional UHF system is better for you (requires careful tuning, can be used around multiple wireless systems, signal can be squashed by nearby RF sources). Answer that question, then pick a system.
    I never needed wireless or lavs till now. I have always use wired shotgun mics. But now I will be doing something with quicker turn around and more run and gun. So wireless lav I think would make it easier and faster.

6. Collapse Details
    How would they even begin to deal with it? In a major sports venue, anyone coming in with wireless systems is required to go through official staff to coordinate frequencies so they they don’t interfere with critical operations. But WiFi systems are auto-pairing and there’s not much choosing of channels. How would that be coordinated other than “Sorry, you can’t use that here”?
    Exactly. Something that should probably be considered by those thinking of purchasing such systems.

7. Collapse Details
    I second this. What is currently the best bang for the buck wireless lavaliere system which won't break the bank?
    Sony UWP-D11 are the best sub $1K wireless.

Other options:

Buy secondhand a Lectro 200 series kit.

Wait for the Deity Connect to be released and reviewed?
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Sony UWP-D11 are the best sub $1K wireless.
    Not against the Sennheiser G4 ew500, they aren’t. The 50mW transmitters alone win over the Sony, and the MKE-2 lav that’s included is actually a decent stock mic.

Find Me on Instagram

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112