Thread: XF100 vs XH-A1

1. Collapse Details
    XF100 vs XH-A1
    Been watching some videos and reading some reviews on the XF100. Any thoughts on how these two rigs size up to each other? XF100 is single chip. Wondering how that's going to hurt low light compared to the A1. Any other thoughts are welcome!

2. Collapse Details
    the new canons have really clean gain, the xf100 will be much better in low light than the xha1.

3. Collapse Details
    i see this XF-Camera-Series on the Expedition "Cologne" in Germany,
    but there is no delivery-time for the XF-100...
    And today i get an XH-A1s for working till the end of this year,
    in 2012 i will take a look again to the XF-Series.

4. Collapse Details
    Hello there!

I have this oportunity to sell my old canon xha1 (2006 model, I bought it March 2007) + WD72
    the camera is in perfect working contition and Its like brand new. has zero playback.
    anyway I have the chance to sell it unit and pay the difference to take the CANON XF100.

I want so much to get rid of the tape recordings and I dont want to buy a DTE recorder ( i have tried Datavideo DN60 but was never satesfied from the results.)

Anyway I am planning to use this camera as a B' Camera on multishooting videos or as a primary camera on Single Camera Videos...

What do u think? does it worth it?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    the new canons have really clean gain, the xf100 will be much better in low light than the xha1.
    Actually there's a test on Vimeo (I think), which shows that the A1s and XF100 are very similar, other than on auto where the XF looks cleaner. I think it's probably down to the 3ccds of the A1s helping it out and the newer DSP helping the XF.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Studio View Post
    Hello there!

I have this oportunity to sell my old canon xha1 (2006 model, I bought it March 2007) + WD72
    the camera is in perfect working contition and Its like brand new. has zero playback.
    anyway I have the chance to sell it unit and pay the difference to take the CANON XF100.

I want so much to get rid of the tape recordings and I dont want to buy a DTE recorder ( i have tried Datavideo DN60 but was never satesfied from the results.)

Anyway I am planning to use this camera as a B' Camera on multishooting videos or as a primary camera on Single Camera Videos...

What do u think? does it worth it?
    I would do it, if you're comfortable with the smaller form factor, lower quality glass, and less physical controls.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpfiction007 View Post
    Actually there's a test on Vimeo (I think), which shows that the A1s and XF100 are very similar, other than on auto where the XF looks cleaner. I think it's probably down to the 3ccds of the A1s helping it out and the newer DSP helping the XF.
    Yes your correct pulpfiction, I did see that test. I think the xf100 has a cleaner gain, but it's lacking the L glass of the xha1. It doesn't have the zoom range either. It only has one ring on the lens. The A1 has three, which is really nice. If your already an xha1 owner, I wouldn't bother with an upgrade. Just doesn't seem like a worth while jump.

To me the A1 looked warmer in that test to. But with out tweaking the settings it's hard to say. Camera tests on full auto are pretty much useless. Many cameras dont come alive till you set them up correctly. Af100 is a perfect example of that.

I think it's safe to say if you know what your doing, they will all deliver a professional image. It's just a matter of how you go about getting there.

If I were you, I would keep the A1, and buy a t3i to go with it. They cut together well, and it's a good way to have the ability to go with a shallow dof and long dof. This way you cant lose. Check out the "Vietnam War Teaser I put up yesterday here, it's a cross between xha1, and t2i. It shows how well they cut together.

8. Collapse Details
    thank u all for ur replies.
    Well here is how its goes. I had 2 canon xhai and I was doing multishooting with them , I sold the first and bought an NX5 wich is not a much better camera but in low light terms beats the a1 anytime anyplace. (and orfource it is tapeless) the only problem that I had with the NX5 is ''a media card error in slot a'' during a very important shooting ( i had in the camera a very expensive SHDC CLASS 10) that forced me to buy the FMU UNIT so to be safe!

I just want to buy a second camera to do multicameras with nx5, the xha1 being a tape dont help cause it is suffering dropped frames issues and Its take more time for me to syncronize the videos.

If I leave the xha1 I will have to buy a HDD UNIT to go tapeless but that unit will make the camera difficult to carry and operate and ofcourse will cost me extra.

AX2000 or HCM150 are not in my list of options to replace the xha1 cause i dont trust the SDHC as a media anymore....

so the only option that i have is XF100 (cause of my budget)

9. Collapse Details
    The XF100 requires proper setup and grading in post but can produce great results. Love the one I shoot on, out team's.

10. Collapse Details
    I will try in theese days.
    now I have a XF100 for testing and my XhA1.

here a test of Xf300/305:
    http://vimeo.com/22076858