1. Collapse Details
    Need advice for slow motion for only one shot
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading threads for an hour and could not find it so I am asking for help!

I have a shoot tomorrow and mostly editorial based talk heads but I would like to catch only one shot in slow motion.

My plan was to shoot 1080/24pn and then shoot the slow motion in 720/60pn so I could slow it down in post.

The question is, should I always stay with one setting because of the size difference? 1080 then stay 1080 or 720 then stay 720?

Thank you for any advice.

Cheers

Ed

2. Collapse Details
    I was just playing around with this on the HPX170. You are best shooting everything in 720p 24n, since that's where all the VFR fun is to be had. Remember, you won't get audio with the clip you're shooting in slo-mo. You also need to be in FILM CAM mode in the settings.

If you shoot different formats, remember you have to switch your settings on the camera to the appropriate setting for clips you want to review in the camera.

I'm not a big fan of 1080 24pA, not when 720p looks so good and saves so much space. Good luck with the shoot.

3. Collapse Details
    Wow, I did not know it would not give me audio. Not that it matters but very nice to know.

Would it be better to just shoot everything at 720p/60 since this is an editorial and the subject would not be moving?

Cheers

Ed

4. Collapse Details
    You can't use VFR in that format, so you would be mixing formats in your edit timeline. Try even shooting some 720p 24n of yourself, just to see what it looks like. Talk to the camera and move around a bit. It's different from 30pn, but again, it gives you access to the full range of variable frame rates, which it sounds like you want for that slo-mo. (You can slow your footage in post, and your client may not notice, but if you compare the results with what the camera can give you, you will be amazed.)

5. Collapse Details
    On the audio, you can record it with something else, even an iPhone if it's just for ambient, then adjust the speed and pitch correct for the VFR clip in the edit.