Thread: Apollo 18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I wonder whether NASA allowed using their footage for this. Or is it because NASA is government-funded, its footage can be used for free even in commercial projects?

I found this to be far more interesting:

2. Collapse Details
    I was not at all interested based off the trailer but had the opportunity to watch it at a friend's recently. The trailer does not do it justice. The whole alien possession thing is truly naff but fortunately it only ruins a small part of the movie. The first half of the movie revolves around procedural elements and are done really really well. The costumes, sets and props are great. They didn't need the alien stuff to sell to their niche audience on this movie and its a pity they went that way. Other than the alien design which was somewhat...familiar...it was up to standard but took away from what was unique about this movie. Frankly I think they did a better job of the rocket journey and lander sequences than apollo 13 even if it did have a touch of the dark star about it. Shows that a camera angle can be almost as good as vomit comet work.

The second half of the movie got down to the monster movie proper and was okay, not bad even. Just derivative and cheapened the good work done. The cinematography, production design special effects and performances were all rock solid even though you could tell easily enough how it was all done. Other than the monster angle the biggest offput for me from the trailer was the fake 16mm-look but it actually really added to the film and didn't bother me after just a few minutes. The found footage concept another offputting factor but it was done sufficiently well that it may have turned me around completely on the concept.

Overall I recommend this film. Take away the monster aspect and I would insist on watching this film. However as I mentioned it can almost be ignored for most the movie and isn't actually done badly, just derivative. Three and a half stars.

3. Collapse Details
    Watched it once, super bummed.

I'd watch it again though, just to solidify that I didn't like it.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Drill Bit View Post
    I wonder whether NASA allowed using their footage for this. Or is it because NASA is government-funded, its footage can be used for free even in commercial projects?

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/policies.html

On a funny note, it sounds a bit like Kevin Bacon narrating at 5am in the morning. There's one for the conspiracists.

I have a friend that doesn't believe Americans landed on the moon.

What can I say?
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

5. Collapse Details
    If man didn't land on the moon then how do we know it's made of cheese?

6. Collapse Details
    Swiss Cheese at that. I 'smell' another conspiracy.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

7. Collapse Details
    Y'all need to watch Capricorn One.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

8. Collapse Details
    There is the theory spread on the Internet that the Apollo-18 mission laded on the Moon but the crew was killed by aliens who were not satisfied with the invasion and that is why NASA says that the Apollo-18 mission was never on the Moon. lol

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord.T View Post
    http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/policies.html

I have a friend that doesn't believe Americans landed on the moon.

What can I say?
    Probably galls him that James Irwin drove an electric car on the lunar surface the year Elon Musk was born.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12