1. Collapse Details
    HPX170 Zoom Servo: Noisy?
    Received my brand new HPX170 today. Problem is, the zoom servo on the body of the camera is horribly noisy. If sure I will get nastiness on any footage I shoot in the audio if I zoom even slightly while running the camera. Should I return it? Or is this something that works itself out.

I love the camera otherwise. I have used an HVX200 extensively as well as my own DVX100 for many years; neither camera has this noise problem.

The handle zoom on the 170 is not a problem at all, however. And if there's a thread already on this, apologies for the question, but I couldn't turn up anything in search.

I love the Barry Green book in the box. I've started reading it, and I'm just amazed at how well and thoroughly he explains everything.

2. Collapse Details
    I would return it because the servo is almost noise free but I zoom slowly if needed but even at full speed it does not pick up noise. Have you tried to switch to manual and then back to servo?

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Ed: I may just do the return, though I hate to. Beautiful camera in every way. But I'm going to run some tests on the audio, import some clips, compare to my DVX100. I'll try the manual/servo switch, though. Good thought.

4. Collapse Details
    I would send it back. I have a HPX170 and the servo is virtually noiseless. If you hang on to it and have the warranty my experience is Panasonic will fix it. But you will be looking at about a two week turn around time in the U.S.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Mark. It sure seems noisier than the DVX and the HVX I've been using, but I don't want to be overreacting. It is a great camera, and I'll be using it for years, if my trusty DVX100 is any indication. I'll almost certainly return it Monday.